Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oh really? It would make much more sense to lay off the delivery boys and have folks get a PO Box to pick up their mail at their leisure. Now of course your union folks would fight that tooth and nail but when have they ever done anything that makes any kind of business sense? They're not around to create jobs they're there to leach from taxpayers and union dues from workers.
So you realize how big the USPS buildings would have to be to provide PO boxes for every address?
Close the smaller offices, cut back delivery to 4-5 days a week...OR...go the opposite and deliver 24/7. UPS and Fedex don't offer that.
Heck, there are post offices within grocery stores here in PA which is extremely convenient. Increase bulk rates. Increase first class rates.
Offer a pc and printer service at the post office for people who don't have internet access.

I'm sure other people have a zillion more concrete ideas than I do. Let's think of solutions instead of the usual union bashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
The government should close all delivery services and maintain just the hubs. It should contract out delivery to service providers. Those service providers would delivery the mail at a previously agreed upon price. Some providers would cost more and some less. You could then have a market setup to drive down the cost to deliver mail. But even then, they'll still need to address their retirement situation.

But overall they should be winding down and moving away from paper mail. As those hubs see less and less mail you would shut them down too.

You can bring it back if there's a large EMP attack or we have a thermonuclear war or something.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
How much more efficient can it get? The USPS reaches every building in the United States six days per week.
Clearly, USPS is not very efficient at doing this from a holistic financial standpoint seeing as thy are running huge losses... the organization will survive, but probably with a fraction of is current employees and at reduced benefit levels.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Clearly, USPS is not very efficient at doing this from a holistic financial standpoint seeing as thy are running huge losses... the organization will survive, but probably with a fraction of is current employees and at reduced benefit levels.
How many years did the USPS turn a profit?

I do believe things will change. Workers who retire will not have their job vacancy filled, new hires may be laid off, less benefits, etc.

And someone else said before; as long as the Baby Boomers are still on earth, there will still be a need for the USPS.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:12 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Lets just break this down logically.

1. USPS is going broke = Federal Governmnet is broke
2. Stamp rates and other rates for USPS have gone up to offset the cost.
3. Price of Gas has continued to climb thats to our involvment in the middle east.
4. We spend to much money on crap around the world instead of at home.

So again government with everything it touches turns to crap because they have no prioties at home.

Government can do simple functions like MAIL, Miltary and then JUSTICE and then leave us the hell alone.

The other option is to turn mail over to the state level.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hey! How about they teach their employees English!

Teach them "Fragile" doesn't really mean "Football" !

Film EVERY employee and when one throws a package or DRIVES OVER IT FIRE THEM!!!...... I'm thinking of shipping UPS or Fedex , they might not go the last mile but maybe THEY won't break well packed solid metal statues or deliver smashed parcels with TIRE MARKS on them!

Shipping rates are complicated and HIGH....and the PO wants them higher so they figure if they break stuff the shipper will have to make it heavier with more packaging material so they can charge more for shipping!!!!

And , aren'they nice to recommend Insurance.....at EXTRA cost!
Dream on. FedEx and UPS have been harder on our packages than USPS ... which is a big reason we prefer to ship USPS.

As a matter of fact, I'm considering mailing more of my bills again, even though online billpay is cheaper.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I would rather have the USPS take over FedEx and UPS than the other way around. Think how much shippers would save if they didn't have to pay private sector executive wages and stockholder profits.

Keep the USPS and fund it as needed from internal charges and the general fund.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
More offices need to be available, but staffed on fewer days. Cut back on staff. 3 days of delivery and local offices being open and one set of staff between 2 locations. Something like that, with priority packages and mail delivered every day.

Having lived in the suburbs of a large city, when UPS or Fed EX comes by and you aren't home, you might as well kiss 4-5 hours of your time goodbye between transit and waiting on service. Their centers are sparsely staffed and have few locations. I've NEVER had that experience with the USPS. An office is usually within 15 minutes and the service is quicker.

I'd rather pay a little more in taxes and be able to get my package on the way home from work. My time is more valuable to me.

I agree that for many things the post office is outdated. But for package mailing and delivery, my experience has shown me that its better than the alternatives.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
But, the PMG and the PR office at L'Enfant Plaza accomplished what they set out to do with their "sky is falling" press releases. And the gullible public eats it up.

BTW, I'm still waiting on my answer KU...

Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Okay, then I will ask you; give me a link and the amount showing how many times the US taxpayer has bailed out the USPS.

And the USPS is supposed to build entirely new post offices to be able to accommodate new space for PO boxes? Our office has around 1,500 PO boxes. Now where do you think they will put space to house another 25K PO boxes and have space for mail, parcels, supplies, etc? You are extremely naive.
I never said anything about a bailout? They did lose 8.5 billion dollars last year. Now are crying to congress for money.

How many PO boxes do you think one can build with 8.5 billion dollars?? I'd say plenty but with union contractors doing it I'd guess it would take twenty years and come in a couple hundred percent over budget. Why should anybody support a business model that loses 8.5 billion dollars is my question. Status quo isnt' working. You can howl away all you want about what you know but what you know isn't working. Are you Obama or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies