Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,327,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
No. He's probably not worried about this dudes firearm knowledge and no it doesn't sound like he would have taken the gun if the right answers weren't given.

The reason I think he asked...let's say you borrow your friends car. Wouldn't you ask him if there was anything different about the car that would prevent you from making it function normally?

I'm not a police officer either and I wouldn't say that I have a vast knowledge of firearms however when I am handling a new type of gun or someone else's gun I typically always ask how it works before I take it from them.

I wish you could have seen my face the first time I saw a hammerless semi-auto. I kept trying to figure out how to de-**** the thing.

Borrowing a car? Ok then......

Just watching that video with a trained eye show's the cop's ignorance.

If that's the case.....I'd hate to see you handling a gun with a shrouded hammer......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,830,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The US Supreme Court ruled in the Hiibel case that a citizen can be forced to provide their ID to the police. The rights that we think we have are slowly but surely being stripped away. The Drug War has been used as justification for an almost complete elimination of any 4th Amendment rights.
But don't forget that non-citizens do not have to show any ID - or should I say 'undocumented' citizens? (sorry I just couldn't resist )

Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,498,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Borrowing a car? Ok then......

Just watching that video with a trained eye show's the cop's ignorance.

If that's the case.....I'd hate to see you handling a gun with a shrouded hammer......
As I stated, I'm not an avid gun user/collector. But I do enjoy shooting.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
As I stated, I'm not an avid gun user/collector. But I do enjoy shooting.

If that's the case why are you trying to debate how well someone in a video handled a gun?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
If that's the case why are you trying to debate how well someone in a video handled a gun?
Oh dear lord

Yes or No question for you. Do all guns operate the same way? I'm not talking about the basics. Yes I know the general principle of a firearm is the same but I'm talking about the little things. For example, do you decock a hammerless gun the same way you decock a revolver?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Oh dear lord

Yes or No question for you. Do all guns operate the same way? I'm not talking about the basics. Yes I know the general principle of a firearm is the same but I'm talking about the little things. For example, do you decock a hammerless gun the same way you decock a revolver?

Oh dear lord? You know how I feel I see. Except as an atheist I'm more likely to say oh WTF

On all modern semi autos: To lock the slide open you pull it all the way back and push up on the slide lock.

Yes- those all operate the same way.

BTW: all hamerless guns are double action only so there's no de-cocking involved. There are also several hamerless revolvers out there. Your lack of knowledge becomes more evident with each post. Why do you try to debate a subject that you know very little about?

Last edited by Rick Roma; 07-29-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Oh dear lord? You know how I feel I see. Except as an atheist I'm more likely to sat oh WTF

On all modern semi autos: To lock the slide open you pull it all the way back and push up on the slide lock.

Yes- those all operate the same way.
Oh dear spaghetti monster. Better?

Ok fair enough. They all operate the same way however perhaps the officer was taking the "better safe than sorry" approach when it comes to handling a firearm.

I honestly don't know. He could have had a minor brain fart. It could have been a model he wasn't familiar with. Could have been a "playing dumb" tactic.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Oh dear spaghetti monster. Better?

Ok fair enough. They all operate the same way however perhaps the officer was taking the "better safe than sorry" approach when it comes to handling a firearm.

I honestly don't know. He could have had a minor brain fart. It could have been a model he wasn't familiar with. Could have been a "playing dumb" tactic.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I now see that you are being honest. You don't know. People who do know can see he was ignorant in handling that gun. Better safe than sorry? I wonder if that was his thought process as he pointed that gun at the people who were driving by. I say not so much. Are you done here now?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM

46,191 posts, read 26,946,757 times
Quote:
I now see that you are being honest. You don't know. People who do know can see he was ignorant in handling that gun. Better safe than sorry? I wonder if that was his thought process as he pointed that gun at the people who were driving by. I say not so much. Are you done here now?
I just watched the video, he was testing the guy....there was no ignorance from the cop.....just ignorance from the guy...Uhhhh I don't have to tell you my name....

Notice how he just simply pulled the slide back and locked it, if you did not see that...or understand how to do that...it can be a little hard for a first time.....

As for your comment about pointing the gun at people going by....the gun was unloaded at those times....and knowingly unloaded...

BTW, up until recently the standard handgun for cops was a Smith...5906 I believe....and the guy had a newer Smith....

Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I just watched the video, he was testing the guy....there was no ignorance from the cop.....just ignorance from the guy...Uhhhh I don't have to tell you my name....

Notice how he just simply pulled the slide back and locked it, if you did not see that...or understand how to do that...it can be a little hard for a first time.....

As for your comment about pointing the gun at people going by....the gun was unloaded at those times....and knowingly unloaded...

BTW, up until recently the standard handgun for cops was a Smith...5906 I believe....and the guy had a newer Smith....
I'm trying to find one single valid point in this post. There aren't any. The cop struggles with the slide, points the muzzle at the traffic before verifying that the mag well was empty or racking the slide to clear the chamber, and then asks how to operate the gun.
The 5906 hasn't been in production since the late 90s. Most departments went to .40s over a decade ago. Whats out there now are Sigs, Glocks, or M&Ps for the most part. There may be some 5906s floating around in service but they're very few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies