Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,324,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Can you say it isn't?

Honestly though...morality aside, the original point of this thread is to question if it's a "trait" or a "choice". It's clearly a choice that people choose to engage in or not.
Are you saying you expect gay people to be celibate and not engage in relationships with people they are biologically hardwired to be attracted to romantically and sexually?

Why?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,595,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Are you saying you expect gay people to be celibate and not engage in relationships with people they are biologically hardwired to be attracted to romantically and sexually?

Why?
I honestly don't care what people do behind closed doors. But again...the fact that you can choose to do it or not proves it's a choice.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,567,972 times
Quote:
If you're telling me that you can't control yourself and you're just some animal that hops on the nearest gay person you can find....then yes...it's not a choice and you're hypersexual.

On the other hand, if you're like anyone else, and you can choose whom you're intimate with and who you're not...then it's a choice--just like the choices any hetero man goes through.

I honestly don't care who you're attracted to or what you do behind closed doors.
There is no sex needed to be a heterosexual or a homosexual. I don't understand why the paradigm is thought of this way when it comes to me but not to you. Do you realize you're talking to someone who is 34 and has only dated ONE person his whole life. Guess what i'm a hom0sexual. I was a homosexual all the way until age 28 too even before i ever dated. I have a teenage nephew who is a heterosexual and yet has never had sex. I never had sex until age 28.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,420,491 times
Quote:
I honestly don't care what people do behind closed doors. But again...the fact that you can choose to do it or not proves it's a choice.
Having sex is a choice but being gay isn't. Even if I never have sex in my whole life, I will still be gay. Even if a gay person has sex with people of the opposite sex and derives no pleasure whatsoever from it, they are still gay. Behavior and orientation are two separate things.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
There is no sex needed to be a heterosexual or a homosexual. I don't understand why the paradigm is thought of this way when it comes to me but not to you. Do you realize you're talking to someone who is 34 and has only dated ONE person his whole life. Guess what i'm a hom0sexual. I was a homosexual all the way until age 28 too even before i ever dated. I have a teenage nephew who is a heterosexual and yet has never had sex. I never had sex until age 28.
I'd call you a human being. Whom you choose to be with is irrelevant in my mind.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,899,161 times
Quote:
Actually everything you have stated refutes that statement. You clearly DO care.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Actually everything you have stated refutes that statement. You clearly DO care.
If you do it behind closed doors..I don't care. It's when you try to get special rights because of whom you choose to be with that I have an issue.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,467,377 times
Quote:
As I pointed out above, this is a deviation from the OP's point. Go start a thread and we'll discuss it.
Clearly the op was referring to an emotional/physical same-sex attraction. You keep distinguishing the feelings/orientation for the same sex From acting on those attractions. May I ask... do you consider someone who never Acts on homosexual feelings to be gay ?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,324,053 times
Quote:
If you're telling me that you can't control yourself and you're just some animal that hops on the nearest gay person you can find....then yes...it's not a choice and you're hypersexual.

On the other hand, if you're like anyone else, and you can choose whom you're intimate with and who you're not...then it's a choice--just like the choices any hetero man goes through.

I honestly don't care who you're attracted to or what you do behind closed doors.
Why would you think he "hops on the nearest gay person he can find"? Being homosexual isn't about "lack of control" and indiscrimate sex.

He appears to be waiting for the "right man" to come along. Someone he has things in common with. Whose personality and temperament he likes. Who makes him laugh and feel joy. Who he is emotionally attracted to as well as physically attracted to.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,050,746 times
Quote:
As I pointed out above, this is a deviation from the OP's point. Go start a thread and we'll discuss it.
Haha. Another non-answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies