Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
I am well aware of how our government works and thanks for the civics lesson , but right now it is political environment of ideology over country and that is what I don't like. I can't change it, but I will express my concerns of where I think we are headed. I am loyal to the United States-not Boehner, not Obama, not Pelosi, not Ron Paul. We as a nation are hopelessly polarized and I fear its going to cost us more than any of us will imagine.
If you are loyal to the United States, then you should be supportive of the concept of representative democracy. The Tea Party represents a huge bloc of American citizens and they are doing exactly what they were elected to do. If they were to be traitors to anyone, then they would be traitors to those that elected them if they decided to go along with the Dems and RINOs. Unlike other politicians that make a lot of promises and then sell out the very people that voted for them, the Tea Party has stuck to their guns. That should make you proud as an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Exactly right! The GOP leadership and senior members are upset because most of the Tea Party people are freshman and can't be bought off with campaign help or plum committee assignments. They are UNCORRUPTABLE.
Err, they are being bought off. Boehner and the GOP are giving them multiple chances to vote for their nonsense, so that in 2012 they can go home and point to all they "tried" to do, and of course beg to be sent back to continue their pointless efforts. Once all the buying off is done, probably tonight, the Senate will send a bipartisan option to the House, Boehner will cry then go to work with Pelosi to get a bipartisan response to it. Then we move on in the nick of time next Tues or Weds.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Problem is that the American people want a compromise:

"A recent CNN/ORC International Poll reveals a growing public exasperation and demand for compromise. Sixty-four percent of respondents to a July 18-20 survey preferred a deal with a mix of spending cuts and tax increases. Only 34% preferred a debt reduction plan based solely on spending reductions.

According to the poll, the public is sharply divided along partisan lines; Democrats and independents are open to a number of different approaches because they think a failure to raise the debt ceiling would cause a major crisis for the country. Republicans, however, draw the line at tax increases, and a narrow majority of them oppose raising the debt ceiling under any circumstances."

Obama dismisses House debt plan, urges Senate compromise - CNN.com
A compromise? How do you get a compromise when all Harry knows what to say is DOA? I just don't see how you can compromise when you don't have meetings between the opposing groups to determine a compromise. Can you explain to me what compromise means in Democrat speak? It should be nearly laughable.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No the problem is the American people are mostly idiots. They vote these fools into office then listen to em whine and moan that interst on debt is killing us and how that HAS to be paid and on and on then they turn around and agree with these fools to stack another couple trillion on top of what we already have. It's pure insanity.
You are talking to the walls but keep trying. Someday they will understand that the best way to pay off a debt is to not stack more on top of it to have to pay. I sure am glad that my wife insists that we pay every penny of our charge card charges every month instead of piling on more so that the company gets any interest from us at all. She comes from a Democrat family but got those beliefs from her father who doesn't buy anything unless he has the money to pay cash. He even buys his farmland that way.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
thats the right equivalent of pushing across an agenda and pleasing the constituents in pelosi's district.

the country wants compromise.

i also think the majority of people didnt have an idea of some of these idiots they elected.

deadbeat joe walsh is a prime example of that. good thing he'll be redistricted out of a job. one less teabagger.
I like to listen to Joe Walsh talk but then I don't get to vote for him.

Hey, I am asking left leaners to explain what compromise is to them since I see very little chance of compromise when the Republicans in the House propose all the proposals with nothing from the Senate. When all we hear from the Senate is Harry saying DOA I just don't see how there can be any compromise, at all. Maybe he doesn't understand what compromise is any better than the supporters of his line of thinking.

Tell me what compromise is other than "my way or the highway" to Dems who control 2/3 of our government.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
They are not doing the American peoples will. They are doing the TP ideological platform period. The traitorous attempts of these people to undermine, weaken, and overthrow the United States government may come to bite them fiercely, unless there is another season of Jersey Shore or Real Housewives, then meh...do what you want.
You sound like one who can really do a job of explaining this compromise the Democrats keep whining about. What is compromise?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Idiots like Pelosi? Yeah what were they thinking. The only sane people in the entire spending debate are the tea party and Ron Paul. Look at the poll you buddy put up. Dems all for raising taxes and more spending. I would actually love to watch these fools burn the country to the ground which is the path we're heading but sadly my children and grandchildren will be the ones left to pick up the pieces. This has to be the most irresponsible, selfish and wreckless generation to ever walk these shores.

I can't rep you so soon but these words are some of your best.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
If you are loyal to the United States, then you should be supportive of the concept of representative democracy. The Tea Party represents a huge bloc of American citizens and they are doing exactly what they were elected to do. If they were to be traitors to anyone, then they would be traitors to those that elected them if they decided to go along with the Dems and RINOs. Unlike other politicians that make a lot of promises and then sell out the very people that voted for them, the Tea Party has stuck to their guns. That should make you proud as an American.
I hate to break it to you, but just because you are elected by constituents doesn't mean you no longer have a duty to those who didn't elect you. They are representing the entire United States - not just the right wing conservative fringe population who put them into office.

Why would having such a poorly educated, conservative group representing the US in front of the rest of the world make me proud? These are people who believe the earth is 6000 years old, and the government should legislate morality based on the conservative Christian cultural model. This whole fiasco, especially the attitude of the conservatives, makes me absolutely embarrassed to be an American.

The United States is no longer the best country in the world. It arguably hasn't been for some time.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,512 times
Ah, I can't wait until these idiots actually get what they want. Hope they rot with the mess they create.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I am talking about attempts to undermine the government as an institution, not who currently occupies the White House or Congress. TP'ers can't make that distinction. The equation for the TP is simple: Obama=government=evil, therefore, No government=No Obama=FREEDOM! At least libertarians remain consistent in their distaste of government in all forms long before corporate interests and Fox News came along to subsidize a "grassroots" movement. TP'ers didn't come to the anti-government party until after a certain guy rolled into the WH. The vast majority of Americans aren't big picture thinkers so this BS that they want to control spending doesn't wash. At the end of the day, people want to make sure they have a job, food on the table, and a roof over their head. Things that affect them personally. The uncertainty of today's economic environment has resulted in some serious fear mongering and irrational decision making. We got two ideologies that are sparring for control of the United States' destiny. You TP'ers look like you may get your chance here pretty soon to test your ideology under real world conditions as the Democrats haven't shown to have the ability to turn the ship aright. We'll see how that effects Joe Average right quick. If you win, then great, if you fail, prepare for a harsh lesson in governance from those same American people.
This may not be the saddest post I have seen here at C-D but it is really trying to be.

You talk about fear mongering so soon after Obama promised that SS checks wouldn't be coming out next week? Do you have any idea what that may cost him in votes? How about so soon after that he talked about not paying our service members and others who will stand up against him.

I can't stand much more of this and in listening to Rand Paul talk just now I see just what we are facing in the way of destruction of this nation. You seem to be among the leaders of this movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies