Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times

Advertisements

pell grant paid for my tuition at juco, which was right around 3,000, with a couple grants thrown in as well.

i refuse to go to school without getting grants and other forms of aid.

i refuse to go in big debt for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You guys actually might want to go to a campus for a few minutes.

Technology is not free. It costs $Millions to wire campuses for Wi-Fi and internet, and it costs $Millions more to maintain the IT network and system.

Those were expenses that did NOT exist 20-30 years ago.

My first dorm room was NOT wired for cable television and it was NOT wired for internet and it was NOT wired for Wi-Fi and the classrooms were NOT wired for cable and they were NOT wired for internet and they were NOT wired for Wi-Fi and they did NOT have power sources for laptops and notebook computers and they did NOT have integrated wireless audio-visual.

My last office and classroom on campus had all of that and I could sit in my apartment a mile away from campus and log in using Wi-Fi and post grades and assignments on Blackboard (which didn't exist the first time I attended university).

Construction is a big chunk of university budgets too:

University System Defends Spending

This is a small school with 8,000 students and they spend $11 Million on IT junk.

http://www.csus.edu/aba/budget/Docum...2011_final.pdf
Maybe that's a lot of the problem. Why on earth would they have to wire dorm rooms for cable television? That's stupid, absurd.

And they don't need to wire classrooms for cable, internet, AND Wi-Fi. They could pick just one kind of wiring.

They raise tuition because they can. That's the real problem.

And they could get with the technology and instead of having all these wired classrooms with power for notebooks, where students log in for a lecture, just put the class on line and let the students log in from home, on-line classrooms, no dorms, no campus. Very few courses require a student's physical presence on a campus, especially when it's all being done through the internet anyhow.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This has been discussed both on the parenting and education forums. People post stuff like this, but the few hiring mangers who post say that such work is irrelevant. I have been on hiring committees myself, and we never look at whether the applicant put him/herself through nursing school, or what kind of jobs s/he had while in nursing school. The relevant experience is the nursing experience, in my case. That someone worked as a waitress at "Joe's Bar and Grill" while in school does not tell us what kind of a nurse s/he is. As for references, most jobs I have applied for over the years want professional references, people who know your professional skills.
I've hired people also. If I'm looking at someone right out of college with a new degree, I would most definitely give preference to the one who had held a job at least once in his or her life.

I don't want to have to be the first to have to teach someone about job basics. What overtime pay means, how to use a time clock, employee schedules and all that. There's something about street smarts with book smarts that give someone advantages over those with just some book smarts.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've hired people also. If I'm looking at someone right out of college with a new degree, I would most definitely give preference to the one who had held a job at least once in his or her life.

I don't want to have to be the first to have to teach someone about job basics. What overtime pay means, how to use a time clock, employee schedules and all that. There's something about street smarts with book smarts that give someone advantages over those with just some book smarts.
Definitely. Co-op and internships carry a lot of weight. Holding down a job while in school and maintaining good grades also carries a lot of weight.

Someone fresh out of school with no work experience whatsoever is a big question mark to employers.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Student loans for more than a few thousand dollars shouldn't even be available to students who are seeking an undergraduate education -- especially for students majoring in liberal arts. This is because someone graduating from college with a B.A. degree and a major in Communications with no work experience in Commmunications has no guarantee they will ever land a job in that field to pay off the $50k debt they are in. It isn't a good plan to start off as an adult $50k in debt. I've heard of kids who after only 4 years of undergraduate school are over $100k in debt!

A BETTER plan would be to get an internship with a company in a field you like after high school. If it is in communications, go work at a television or radio station. Offer to VOLUNTEER for a few months just to get experience. Chances are if they don't offer to pay you initially, they will be impressed you want to work there badly enough you'll work for free and after a short while will start paying you. As you gain experience you can find out what education you will really NEED to advance. It may be the company will PAY for part or ALL of your education.

This is not only the smart (low cost) way to get an education but also to get into a career.
1. No college degree guarantees you a job. It just makes you a lot more employable, and less vulnerable to layoffs. Communications is the old journalism, plus radio/TV, etc. I don't know why you would think there are no jobs there. We have more communication equipment available now than ever before.

2. You are unlikely to get such an internship right after high school. I happen to know several people who work in the TV/communications field, and they all have college degrees. My brother-in-law recently retired from a job in TV where he was the one to make the programs flow smoothly, in other words, make the commercials come in at the right times, etc so there was no dead air time, etc. He has a BSEE.

3. Your rant is about loans, the thread is about grants.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I got a number of grants from private groups like the American Legion, a Rotary Club, an international business organization. Lot's of money out there. I'd say for every 12-14 applications I filed I got a grant.

Of course it isn't. Merit, honor, dignity, commitment and personal sacrifice mean nothing to *******s.

But if it gets you an interview, and you expound on that in your interview and it gets you to the hiring committee, then I guess it was worth it.

Maybe you should start taking that into consideration.

If they went to vocational school instead of high school and took welding or auto repair/collision repair they can.

States hand out grants as well. You might want to check there.

You guys actually might want to go to a campus for a few minutes.

Technology is not free. It costs $Millions to wire campuses for Wi-Fi and internet, and it costs $Millions more to maintain the IT network and system.

Those were expenses that did NOT exist 20-30 years ago.

My first dorm room was NOT wired for cable television and it was NOT wired for internet and it was NOT wired for Wi-Fi and the classrooms were NOT wired for cable and they were NOT wired for internet and they were NOT wired for Wi-Fi and they did NOT have power sources for laptops and notebook computers and they did NOT have integrated wireless audio-visual.

My last office and classroom on campus had all of that and I could sit in my apartment a mile away from campus and log in using Wi-Fi and post grades and assignments on Blackboard (which didn't exist the first time I attended university).

Construction is a big chunk of university budgets too:

University System Defends Spending

This is a small school with 8,000 students and they spend $11 Million on IT junk.

http://www.csus.edu/aba/budget/Docum...2011_final.pdf
IT is a good investment for the college. It means employment for people that maintain it and per student it cost very little. The initial investment for layer 1 (physical) can be expensive when you are talking about buried cables between buildings, routers, switches and all but that investment is quickly recouped when you have increased productivity among employees and students able to access information from their dorms and from off campus homes (no need for the library to be open 24 hours as it was when I was in college). As for campus cable TV, basic cable is very cheap for college campuses. Usually around $7 per month per student because it is sold in bulk at wholesale. And the cable companies like large wholesale accounts because anything they sell over that- such as students who order HBO- is pure profit to them.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few!!
All the more reason to cut subsidies for big oil companies and cut tax loopholes for hedge funds managers.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Default How Can Poor People Get College Funding Without Pell Grants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If the government defaults, many students would have to leave school because the government would stop giving loans and grants. Do Republicans care?
They get a scholarship or grant (from a private foundation or whatever) by getting good grades or excelling in athletics. Or they can pay their own way, ever thought of that?

Another nanny-stater, I see. Oh, the poor poor people who sucked in high school and demand that taxpayers pay their way through college...college they may or may not finish or even use if they do finish.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
This thread also assumes that college is mandatory to have a good life. Some people aren't cut out for college. It's not for everyone and we need to stop telling kids that they are nothing without a college education.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
They get a scholarship or grant (from a private foundation or whatever) by getting good grades or excelling in athletics. Or they can pay their own way, ever thought of that?

Another nanny-stater, I see. Oh, the poor poor people who sucked in high school and demand that taxpayers pay their way through college...college they may or may not finish or even use if they do finish.
Point #1:

You can have wonderful grades and still not get an academic scholarship, especially if you go to a state university or college. Even at private colleges, some give out lots of money, some don't. Many give out enough to make the cost comparable to a state U. The fact is, most people accepted to college have good grades. That doesn't make a person "special". The scholarships from private groups tend to be for small amounts of money and are often non-renewable. While I am of the "take it where you get it" school of thought, these scholarships don't do much to defray costs. Certainly, you couldn't do it on those alone. The colleges expect a needy student to apply for these grants. They do not have bottomless pockets. Athletic scholarships are very limited.

Point #2: The thread is about poor people; paying one's own way entirely is not possible in those circumstances. My community college charges $105/credit. ONE 3 credit course costs $115.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies