Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,817,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Point #2: The thread is about poor people; paying one's own way entirely is not possible in those circumstances. My community college charges $105/credit. ONE 3 credit course costs $115.
Bull****, millions of people did it including me and I'm glad I did. I had no student loans, I also had very little life in college but I came out debt free and much better because of it. This crap about "poor" college students is just that, crap. If you're not working your ass off while going to class you're doing it wrong and likely living off of mommy and daddy or Uncle Sam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:48 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,337,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Bull****, millions of people did it including me and I'm glad I did. I had no student loans, I also had very little life in college but I came out debt free and much better because of it. This crap about "poor" college students is just that, crap. If you're not working your ass off while going to class you're doing it wrong and likely living off of mommy and daddy or Uncle Sam.
Why do you care whether someone takes out a loan if they pay it back?

Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Do you have a clue what the definition of "poor" is to receive a Pell grant?

Pell Grant Qualifications | The Federal Pell Grant Qualifications

The Pell Grant is designed for students that come from lower-income families who may have a considerable difficulty paying anything towards their child’s college education, and thus display a very high financial need for additional funding to attend college.

the majority of students that receive Pell Grants have families who make around 30,000 dollars per year or lower.

Need isn’t the only qualifying factor that you must be aware of though, as there are a whole variety of less of important Pell Grant qualifications that you must have on your radar if you want to avoid any sort of difficulty while applying for the grant.

That's my allowable three sentences. You'll have to read it for the rest of the qualifications. Basically, you have to be enrolled in a four year college and pursuing a bachelor's degree, and making adequate progress.

Please note the thread is NOT about student loans.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
And you walked up hill through the snow to get to college, right? Sorry, I don't believe you. I worked 32 hours per week through the last two years of my undergrad and that pretty much stretched me to the limit, time wise.

In other words, you're full of it.
just because you didnt have the fortitude, or the time management skills, doesnt mean that others of us didnt also have those skills.

Quote:
The absolute worst thing going on right now as states balance their budgets are the huge chunks being taken out of education. People who advocate to save money by slashing education are ignorant at best, and unpatriotic at worst. You're effectively gutting the next generation.
throwing money at education doesnt mean that it gets any better, in fact it usually gets worse. the education system in this country was at one time the best in the world by far, today however we have lost that huge lead. the difference? all the money being thrown at our education at all levels, and then because the federal government is the one pumping the money in, they think they are the ones that can set the curriculum. unfortunately they add rubbish social engineering programs into the system, as well as tons of extra paperwork, and all it does is make the system more expensive.

get government out of education, and the tuition rates will come down.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Why do you care whether someone takes out a loan if they pay it back?
I don't care about student loans IF they pay them back, maybe career students do not pay them back. Pell grants on the other hand aren't loans, they're never paid back.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,818,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
The thing is, there is plenty of money. We just can't figure out how to stop wasting it! Money spent on educating Americans wanting to be educated is never, in my book, a waste of money. That is what I would categorize as an investment in our future and should be a priority.
Sure, there is money, but...but...but...how would the oil companies survive without their government subsidies?? Here's a thought, how about we take that $4 billion in tax breaks we give to the oil companies--who are making record profits and don't NEED it--and make that available for Pell grants instead? But no, the tea party says we can't touch the oil companies, and we aren't allowed to ask the top 1% to "share the pain" either. It must be wholly borne by the middle and lower classes.

The sad truth is that in 20 years, if the GOP gets exactly what they want, we will have an uneducated population unable to compete in the world. This is their hope for America.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you have a clue what the definition of "poor" is to receive a Pell grant?

Pell Grant Qualifications | The Federal Pell Grant Qualifications

The Pell Grant is designed for students that come from lower-income families who may have a considerable difficulty paying anything towards their child’s college education, and thus display a very high financial need for additional funding to attend college.

the majority of students that receive Pell Grants have families who make around 30,000 dollars per year or lower.

Need isn’t the only qualifying factor that you must be aware of though, as there are a whole variety of less of important Pell Grant qualifications that you must have on your radar if you want to avoid any sort of difficulty while applying for the grant.

That's my allowable three sentences. You'll have to read it for the rest of the qualifications. Basically, you have to be enrolled in a four year college and pursuing a bachelor's degree, and making adequate progress.

Please note the thread is NOT about student loans.
I have a lot more than a clue about being poor enough for Pell grants because I qualified for them the entire time I was in college, I never applied for them because I wanted to do things on my own and I did just fine. I grew up poorer than poor, put myself through college without the help of the government and did it all with only borrowing $400 from a family member one semester to buy books which I paid back in 2 months.

I haven't been in college in a few years but I remember those students who were getting tons of federal aid and grants, they also had plenty free time, you would see them heavily involved in social and activist groups around campus and they always had poor things like nice shoes, Starbucks coffee and a nice place to live.

I'm guessing these days that they would be the same students who man tables to get people to register to vote while playing angry birds on their iPhone and have flat screens in their dorm rooms.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The sad truth is that in 20 years, if the GOP gets exactly what they want, we will have an uneducated population unable to compete in the world. This is their hope for America.
Explain how the GOP got exactly what they want if the population was soooooo uneducated that they elected an unqualified community organizer to be President? It sounds to me like the Democrats got exactly what they wanted, an ignorant population that's reliant on the government for more and more every day.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 PM

88,556 posts, read 44,263,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sure, there is money, but...but...but...how would the oil companies survive without their government subsidies?? Here's a thought, how about we take that $4 billion in tax breaks we give to the oil companies--who are making record profits and don't NEED it--and make that available for Pell grants instead? But no, the tea party says we can't touch the oil companies, and we aren't allowed to ask the top 1% to "share the pain" either. It must be wholly borne by the middle and lower classes.

This post is so full of fail it's hard to pick where to start.

1) Any taxes on corporations are passed on as costs to the end users/consumers. Corporations don't pay those taxes, whoever buys their products or uses their services does. End user ALWAYS pays.

2) Profits go to the stockholders, which in many cases are pension funds, 401k's, IRA's, etc.

"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Read the entire article, and open your eyes.

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from a 401k, pension fund, mutual fund,annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., is a corporate owner, en masse. They get the profits.

And by the way, guess who the US's biggest investor is?

CalPERS, the California Public Employee unions' retirement system.

3) The top 1% earns 20% of the income, but pays 38% of the federal income tax revenue. They pay nearly TWICE their fair share. The middle and lower income groups are severely undertaxed. 51% pay NO federal income tax, at all.

Can someone please explain why liberals have NO knowledge whatsoever of the facts I just enumerated?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,967,329 times
Most colleges charge more money because it's easy for students to borrow it. There seems to be no limit to what they can charge becasue lenders are willing to front the money. It's a vicious cycle.

Some people can work full time while going to college, especially if they go part time or on a special track for professionals. Some majors specifically tell you that you will not be able to have a job at all so don't even think about it or they won't accept you into the program. It all depends on what you are studying so crying about how you did it (worked 80 hrs a week and walked 5 miles uphill in the snow) is pretty pointless and just makes me think you were a studying basket weaving or something. I'm not saying people don't work hard, but some also luck into jobs where they can actually do their school work and studying becasue the job is fluff anyway. Not everyone gets those kinds of breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies