Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You will find that most people who say they "worked their way through" acutally didn't. A lot live at home, gratis, which is a $1000/month gift from the parents. A lot have cars that the parents bought them. Many have some sort of scholarship that pays for part of their education. Many have employer tuition assistance. And so forth.
And some actually did. Rented an apartment with 4 other people to keep costs down. Had no car, walked everywhere after my bike was stolen. No scholarship. No tuition assistance. Two jobs (one full, one part time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
But working is hard
Just think what a job will do to their self esteem.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Community college made it a lot easier in the pockets for me. A lot of people knock down community colleges but hey the one I attended saved me/parents A LOT of money. If you don't have enough money to attend a university go to a COMMUNITY COLLEGE , apply for grants, loans and use them wisely..having a part time or a full time job would help tremoundsly as well. Again this may not work for you but it worked for me..SAVE SAVE AND SAVE! Then when your time has come transfer to a university.

List of Cheap Universities in the USA | eHow.com

Going to a community college is the only economic way to go to school today .

Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You forgot the part about walking 5 miles in the snow. Uphill. Both ways.

Honesly, you post is completely meaningless UNLESS you follow up with details, details of what you actually had going for you instead of what you didn't have going for you. And I'm not talking about moxie and work ethic. There is always more to the story than people like to tell when they chastise others.
Wow, liberals. They never think that the "going for you" could possibly be a desire to better yourself. They think it's all about luck and birth circumstance. Dismissing moxie and work ethic drives that home.

They really think the only way to get ahead is to inherit money. Makes it easy to blame everyone but yourself for your own failures that way.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
And it doesn't hurt to be born into a good family and have a good support network either. And I'm not talking about money.
Again, another liberal that thinks success depends solely on inheriting money.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And some actually did. Rented an apartment with 4 other people to keep costs down. Had no car, walked everywhere after my bike was stolen. No scholarship. No tuition assistance. Two jobs (one full, one part time).
Unfortunately the way things were then are not the way things are now. Many campuses are poorly planned. Car required. Many campuses don't have jobs available closeby. Car required. Most people can't find one job, let alone 2. Tuition years ago was far less than it is now. Textbooks in many cases are over $200 now. Computers are required. Back then, they weren't.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Baloney. Student Loans will always be availble to those that qualify. "Grants" should be abolished. No free college for anyone. Get a job deadbeat. My wife attends school AND works a full-time job at the same time.
You think getting a job is easy right now? Especially one that can support oneself and their college education?

Yes, there are student loans available for people to take out, but then you conservatives whine and complain about people taking out excessive loans to pay for school that they very well might not be able to pay back.

Why don't conservatives just come clean about it and admit that they don't think poor people should have access to higher education? They don't want to allow America's lower classes access to any route than can lead to them raising themselves out of poverty.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
You think getting a job is easy right now? Especially one that can support oneself and their college education?

Yes, there are student loans available for people to take out, but then you conservatives whine and complain about people taking out excessive loans to pay for school that they very well might not be able to pay back.

Why don't conservatives just come clean about it and admit that they don't think poor people should have access to higher education? They don't want to allow America's lower classes access to any route than can lead to them raising themselves out of poverty.
I don't see folks whining about student loans. They cannot be discharged in bankruptcy so it's not like people can walk away from them and not pay.

I'm all for student loans. They have subsidized ones for the poor and unsubsidized ones for everyone else with the subsidy just being the interest portion paid while you are attending school.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Oh yeah, school or community college or a real 4 year college? There's a big difference. Good luck holding down a full time job if she's doing a technical field or needs the grades to get into graduate school. The country has an interest in people being educated. I guess maybe you didn't avail of that and thus don't realize why the country needs educated people.
Do you even have any clue what you're talking about? "Real 4 year college" as if no other college or training program is good enough?

You can work full time and go to college of any kind.

It doesn't matter if a certain poster has a college education, that's just you being rude, yet again. People can still be successful without any schooling past high school. Yes, the country needs some people with an education but not everybody needs to go to college for the country to flourish. My husband makes more than I could even dream of making and he only has a high school diploma. I have a bachelor's degree and also a diploma from a tech school I went to.

Hard work and perseverance pay off, I don't care what anyone says. Pell grants should go away, let people work for what they have.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Unfortunately the way things were then are not the way things are now. Many campuses are poorly planned. Car required. Many campuses don't have jobs available closeby. Car required. Most people can't find one job, let alone 2. Tuition years ago was far less than it is now. Textbooks in many cases are over $200 now. Computers are required. Back then, they weren't.
Take the bus. At UF, your student ID allows you to ride any city bus for free. I have a hard time believing other major universities don't have a similar setup.

Buy used textbooks, rent them, use online resources instead, share with a friend, etc.

Computers are available in labs on campus and at public libraries for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies