Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Illegal aliens are not America's youth.
I already provided the link that shows that you are mistaken as to who qualifies for the grants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 01:50 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,504,702 times
Who says you need to go straight through school? Many, like my hubby and his siblings who came from a poor family, all graduated from college. They mostly paid for it themselves through loans. They would go for awhile then stop and go back when they could afford it.

My hubby had his master's degree mostly paid for through his employer. He had to keep a high point average to be reimbursed but he did it. There is all kinds of ways to attend college. My son got a scholarship in drama at a small junior college. Might not be a big school but a degree is a degree.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Give us some specific examples.

Since I just put two kids through college, I know what college expenses are; I know what kind of jobs college age kids can get; and I know how much time school takes and how hard that is to work around a class schedule. In fact, it was much the same when I was in college all those decades ago.
If you are suggesting that working while in college is not possible, then I feel sorry for you. , as millions of students do it every day of the week, every week of the year.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-30-2011 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Why don't they go to work and pay for it like I did? Why are their butts so extra special compared to all Americans before them?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
15 Semester Hours average
20 Hours Unpaid Internship per week
32 Hours Part Time Job per week

This summarized my last two years in college. For those who make excuses that there is no time to work while in college, you're simply full of crap.

The only caveat that I subscribe to is that jobs are scarce.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
15 Semester Hours average
20 Hours Unpaid Internship per week
32 Hours Part Time Job per week

This summarized my last two years in college. For those who make excuses that there is no time to work while in college, you're simply full of crap.

The only caveat that I subscribe to is that jobs are scarce.
No kidding, I worked a full time graveyard shift, slept, went to college and then back to work for years.
We have a lazy entitlement minded group of wimps these days IMO.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I already provided the link that shows that you are mistaken as to who qualifies for the grants.

It is well known snopes is a pro Obama website.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Watch the cost of college come down if the tuition money dries up.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:09 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,172,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If the government defaults, many students would have to leave school because the government would stop giving loans and grants. Do Republicans care?
Pell grant and other government guarantee are the reason why tuition is so high. I know I know, our trusted politician said it is the greedy college that charge high price.

Little over 30 years before government started with all of this, college is very affordable. You can wait table and the money will able to get you through college.

Same go to health care cost. Before government involve in health, all doctor charged the lowest fee because they have competition. If they charge too high, the customer will go to another doctor. But since government got involve since the Nixon's administration, suddenly, doctor's customer no longer the patients, it is the 3rd party payers. Now they charge the max because the patients no longer paying directly.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Pell grant and other government guarantee are the reason why tuition is so high. I know I know, our trusted politician said it is the greedy college that charge high price.

Little over 30 years before government started with all of this, college is very affordable. You can wait table and the money will able to get you through college.

Same go to health care cost. Before government involve in health, all doctor charged the lowest fee because they have competition. If they charge too high, the customer will go to another doctor. But since government got involve since the Nixon's administration, suddenly, doctor's customer no longer the patients, it is the 3rd party payers. Now they charge the max because the patients no longer paying directly.
And then they those high prices that to justify more government intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies