Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

One only has to look att eh coutnires that sully the crude to see where the money is being made. We are no longer much of a producer and crude is getting more expensive to get to and to ship . The truth is when we suplioed our own crude and it was plentiful gasoline was cheap. But like any energy now days its not.Actaully i some states the state tax per gallo is higher than the profit per gallon the oil companies make off a gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
When gas was 13 to 17 cents a gallon my uncle would make 3 or 4 cents a gallon profit at his Texaco station. He complained when the company made him sell it so cheap he only earned a penny a gallon. There used to be gas wars and we don't have that much anymore. I've heard that gas stations today make a penny a gallon. Why did service stations cease to exist?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
When gas was 13 to 17 cents a gallon my uncle would make 3 or 4 cents a gallon profit at his Texaco station. He complained when the company made him sell it so cheap he only earned a penny a gallon. There used to be gas wars and we don't have that much anymore. I've heard that gas stations today make a penny a gallon. Why did service stations cease to exist?
What are you talking about?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
someone else who's swallowing the faux news talking point said that, not you....sorry.
its cool, we all make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What are you talking about?
he is talking about what local retailers buy gasoline for and what they can sell it for. all to often people ***** to the station owner about the price of gasoline, and the profits the oil companies are making, not realizing that the station owner buy the gas from a wholesaler and makes a tiny gross profit on the sale of gasoline. full service gas stations pretty much went away when retailers were not making any money selling gasoline, and when oil change parlors like jiffy lube opened up and took service away from the corner gas station.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its cool, we all make mistakes.

he is talking about what local retailers buy gasoline for and what they can sell it for. all to often people ***** to the station owner about the price of gasoline, and the profits the oil companies are making, not realizing that the station owner buy the gas from a wholesaler and makes a tiny gross profit on the sale of gasoline. full service gas stations pretty much went away when retailers were not making any money selling gasoline, and when oil change parlors like jiffy lube opened up and took service away from the corner gas station.
Yeah I had two full service corner gas stations myself so I understand how it works.
My average pool margin (all grades combined) was .10 a gallon.
Has nothing to do with the topic. Besides there are still independent dealers, they just have c-stores now.

Jiffy Lube didn't kill the full service gas station, consumers changed their habits.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Jiffy Lube didn't kill the full service gas station, consumers changed their habits.
actually it was the nail in the coffin. remember at the time jiffy lube started up, along with similar companies, they were undercutting the price of oil changes done at service stations by a few bucks. same with companies like tune up masters, and brake max. and when gasoline sales was not enough to keep a business open, even as a self serve station, they either closed, or started selling drinks and snacks like 7-11 and circle k did.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
There's no logical reason, at a time when most people under 50k are in some cases hurting big time, for Chevron to make that kind of profit. Those guys should be in jail for consumer fraud.
I know many retirees who own some Chevron stock, and a few widows. They are Chevron's owners, along with the mutual funds in 401(k) plans and IRA's, and pension plans. High profits and supply limits bring out competition and more supply....except that the Obama adminsitration has pretty much decided to shut down any possibility of growth in the domestic energy business. Fortunately, Chevron does business all over the world, so they will continue to bring us the miracle: no matter where you go in this great land, when you need gasoline, it will be there for you. You don't need to own an oil well or a refinery or a pipeline, you can just trade a few bucks for a gallon of gas.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Our country went downhill fast when Affirmative Action was passed.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 AM

216 posts, read 57,482 times
Would the American public still call the oil giants greedy if they shared their profits with them.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:16 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
$5.25 two blocks away, but I live in the People's Republic of California.
We've been declining under a Democrat Legislature for decades.
Jesus, where do you buy gas that it costs 5.25?

Costs me 3.80 here in the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies