Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

This budget/deficit/debt issue and all the arguing back and forth is going to do nothing to address the problem which is out of control spending. This thing is coming down be it now or in '12 AFTER the election which is what they all want it seems. Who is going to pay for it all in the end. Sure we might have some hard times but we have mortgaged the future of our children and grandchildren with this mess that has been created. This generation is a bunch of whining sniveling irresponsible leaches. Its a complete and utter disgusting shame what they have laid upon their children and childrens children. And what is even more disgusting is that the solution to this mess appears to be to make it worse so that the same leaches can be happy NOW.

I don't know what to say anymore. I would say punt and play defense but the ball is in Obama's hands and he wants to go for it and lose the game on one play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Any fix will take years to implement and will require a shift in public consciousness from dependence on government to provide for them to.........well, you know the answer to that.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
While the problem lies at the feet of both parties.......

......I still blame Liberal ideology for the Lion's Share of our problems. As you mentioned, we do indeed have a society of "whining sniveling irresponsible leaches." I personally am of the opinion that we will NEVER pull out of this ditch. How can we? If we give the President an additional 2 trillion dollars as part of this debt limit deal, are we really to expect that we will not actually spend it? Of course it will be spent. That's why he wants it pushed past the 2012 elections. So he doesn't have to address the issue again until after the election. Which asserts that he feels that we will once again be voting on a HIGHER debt ceiling in a couple years.

This Administration has ZERO intent on cutting back spending. Although i'm not naive enough to believe Obama is solely to blame, I do believe that his contempt for our fiscal situation and insistance that his personal Agenda be implemented is highly hazardous to this country.

Barack Obama is not the person we need at the helm at this point in our history.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
In the short term, the deficit is about BOTH spending and taxes.

In the short term the deficit can be partially addressed by solving the unemployment problem. People with jobs aren't on welfare, they don't receive unemployment checks and they do pay taxes. Win-win on both lesser spending and higher tax revenue.

Traditionally, unemployment falls as the economy recovers, but too many low paying jobs have bled out of this country to the third world. We either need to start getting those old jobs back or start inventing new low paying jobs here.

After we get unemployment back down to an acceptable level can we start talking about the other issues concerning the deficit.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Any fix will take years to implement and will require a shift in public consciousness from dependence on government to provide for them to.........well, you know the answer to that.
They could fix it almost overnight by broadening the tax base and making small cuts in spending, just like they did under Clinton.

When people work, they stop leaching off of government and start to produce revenues.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Its not about taxes, its about revenues. There is a HUGE difference.
Quote:
After we get unemployment back down to an acceptable level can we start talking about the other issues concerning the deficit.
Agreed, but raising taxes is not the solution to creating jobs, and thats all Washington can talk about doing nowadays.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:

In the short term the deficit can be partially addressed by solving the unemployment problem. People with jobs aren't on welfare, they don't receive unemployment checks and they do pay taxes. Win-win on both lesser spending and higher tax revenue.

Traditionally, unemployment falls as the economy recovers, but too many low paying jobs have bled out of this country to the third world. We either need to start getting those old jobs back or start inventing new low paying jobs here.

Good points. But the problem is that there's little evidence to support a new, sustained job-growth joy ride is in our future. How can we expect that to happen in a service-oriented economy where manufacturing is barely perceptible? How does a nation rebuild on $8 per hour jobs? It doesn't.

From my perspective, this last recession was the straw that broke the camels back. People who had jobs in the last 10 years were simply lucky to have them. Now that the economy has corrected itself through the ordinary economic cycle, I don't believe that there will be any such thing as a bounceback. The new threshold is lower than it has ever been, which means that we likely wont' see the tax revenues that we've experienced in the past.

The solution? Austerity. Painful austerity. Any other means is inextricably connected to additional spending, which should be completely off the table. Broaden the tax base and turn off the spigot.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its not about taxes, its about revenues. There is a HUGE difference.
Sorry, I may have mis-spoke. I meant tax receipts which I equate to tax revenues.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I may have mis-spoke. I meant tax receipts which I equate to tax revenues.
np, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page

Old 07-31-2011, 10:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Until these boys and girls in DC can get up the guts to say NO to special interest groups and their cronies, out of control spending will not cease. Austerity is not a concept they embrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies