Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:55 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygrn View Post
I realize most people are taking these rankings and this data at face value. I have learned, and accept as absolute fact, that the same statistics can say anything you want them to. As for this category, I will address it from the point of view I know-infant mortality. I work in Pediatric Critical Care, so I know of what I speak. Lets take an example of a baby born extremely prematurely. In the US, we take the baby and apply all of our advanced technology in an attempt to save the baby. The chances of success in much of these cases are very low. However, we may be able to work to keep the baby alive for a few days to a few weeks. When we fail, which happens more often than not, the death is put in to statistics as an infant death-affecting both the infant death rate AND the life expectancy rate. What happens in this case in other countries? Most do not put the effort in to saving the baby as we do and the death statistically becomes a still birth or even a miscarriage-NOT affecting either the infant mortality rate or life expectancy. This has the net result of significantly skewing the measures used in the rankings. It is a comparison of apples to oranges, not apples to apples.

I know about these anomalies because I have researched it. I have not researched the other statistics used, but would assume some of the same mischaracterizations exist in other areas as well.

I would agree that there is truth to this notion... Europe also has a MUCH higher abortion rate than the US...whether they don't want the child or it has defects or whatever.. while here in the US people are more likely to have the child and attempt to carry it to term...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I would agree that there is truth to this notion... Europe also has a MUCH higher abortion rate than the US...whether they don't want the child or it has defects or whatever.. while here in the US people are more likely to have the child and attempt to carry it to term...

Not according to

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/ib_0599.html

Germany, Denmark and Sweden (and others) for example have lower abortion rates. Quite a bit lower....and their medical care is good.
Also US teen abortion rates are higher in the US than Europe.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Not according to

Abortion in Context: United States and Worldwide

Germany, Denmark and Sweden (and others) for example have lower abortion rates. Quite a bit lower....and their medical care is good.
Also US teen abortion rates are higher in the US than Europe.
eastern europe has high abortion rates period... but for western europe I was referring to a fetus that might have issues.. they are more open to using this option.. when in the US.. people would carry the child to term.. and rely on medical techniques to aid when it is born pre-mature...and like was mentioned if it dies AFTER birth.. those statistics are added to life expectancy numbers...
the US is one of a few first world countries that actually has population increase from births... and that would be due to teen pregnancy as well...

Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
I think even if this is an issue in regards to the topic, it is NOT the reason why the US is lagging behind in life expectancy, I would imagine the fact that millions don't have any insurance (or are underinsured) is the reason. Many people I know don't go to the doctor because they don't have insurance. They don't go until the problem is so big they have to go or end up in an emergency room... I have met numerous people in this country that have not been to a doctor in more than 10 years, when I am in Germany or France or Switzerland, I don't see this happening there.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:52 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Back in the '50s and '60s, the life expectancy in the U.S. was among the top 10 in the world. There was no national health care back then, so there must be some other reason why it's not in the top 10 anymore.
I think it has more to do with lifestyle (diet and exercise).

Old 09-09-2007, 03:51 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Back in the '50s and '60s, the life expectancy in the U.S. was among the top 10 in the world. There was no national health care back then, so there must be some other reason why it's not in the top 10 anymore.
But if other countries have advanced faster than us couldn't their adopting universal health care systems have something to do with them moving ahead? I don't think America's gotten that much less healthy, we just haven't kept up with the other wealthy nations. Don't people in Europe smoke a lot more, and obsess about health a lot less?

Old 09-09-2007, 03:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
The US has massive, unconrolled immigration, mostly involving people with low incomes, who are employed in dangerous and unhealthy jobs.

This was not the case in the 50s and 60s.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
healthcare costs in respect to wages in the 50's and 60's was also not as high as it is today... so it didn't financially ruin someone to have a procedure done.. even without insurance.. Now days.. if you are in the hospital without insurance for surgery or anything of that nature.. you are financially ruined..

Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
Stess is the obvious cause.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
What in your view is most responsible for this... in my view the single most important factor it the Standard American Diet / SAD. No one else currently eats as much junk: sugar, processed food and fat. The second most important factor imo is that the medical profession only seems to treat DISEASE, rather than preventing it.
Your view?
Diet, and the love affair with the car, suburban lifestyle (ie no sidewalks) the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies