Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:46 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
According to the Center for Defense Information, the estimated cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will reach $1.29 trillion by the end of fiscal year 2011.

Read more: Estimated War-Related Costs, Iraq and Afghanistan — Infoplease.com Estimated War-Related Costs, Iraq and Afghanistan — Infoplease.com

I know where they could save a boat-load of money.

Our country is in financial trouble because they either don't know how to or REFUSE to balance the budget.

Ending the wars would be a really, really good place to start.

20yrsinBranson
Cost of War to the United States | COSTOFWAR.COM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Let the word go forth from Washington! The corporate rulers occupying our nation's capital have declared war on just about every citizen.

Useless blog and rant.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

I know where they could save a boat-load of money.

Our country is in financial trouble because they either don't know how to or REFUSE to balance the budget.

Ending the wars would be a really, really good place to start.

Yes. End ALL wars. War on drugs, war on poverty, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc, etc.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. End ALL wars. War on drugs, war on poverty, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc, etc.
If they eliminated all wars, there could not be income tax.

War is the only allowance for income tax in the US Constitution.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html

Old 07-31-2011, 11:57 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
If I was allowed to invest that money in a private fund it would be worth a lot more.
Indeed, at least ten times more. However, government took that choice from you. Look into how Chile got off their US-based Social Security system. It was entirely voluntary, those who wanted to stay with the government program could. Those who wanted to manage their own Social Security accounts in the private market could as well. Within less than 10 years 90% of Chilean workforce was managing their own Social Security accounts and Chile experienced a huge surge of growth in their economy. Fewer than 10% remained on the government Social Security program.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:01 AM

216 posts, read 57,508 times
It seems to me like the American Dream only applies to certain people in the US.

How can a country that limits ones freedoms be classed as "a free country"?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
yup yup

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Indeed, at least ten times more. However, government took that choice from you. Look into how Chile got off their US-based Social Security system. It was entirely voluntary, those who wanted to stay with the government program could. Those who wanted to manage their own Social Security accounts in the private market could as well. Within less than 10 years 90% of Chilean workforce was managing their own Social Security accounts and Chile experienced a huge surge of growth in their economy. Fewer than 10% remained on the government Social Security program.
Very interesting. I was not aware of it.

My question, then, is this: what is the quality of life in Chile, the cost of living, the availability of employment, housing, medical services, etc. I honestly do not know these things, although I have traveled to South America several times - Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, etc. but never to Chile.

A quick search on the internet revealed that Chile's HDI - Human Development Index - is #45 (the US is #4); Chile has a population of 17 million and the US is near 310 million; per capita income is something like $11,000 per year.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Very interesting. I was not aware of it.

My question, then, is this: what is the quality of life in Chile, the cost of living, the availability of employment, housing, medical services, etc. I honestly do not know these things, although I have traveled to South America several times - Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, etc. but never to Chile.

A quick search on the internet revealed that Chile's HDI - Human Development Index - is #45 (the US is #4); Chile has a population of 17 million and the US is near 310 million; per capita income is something like $11,000 per year.
Chile is also a pretty bad example for anything since most people on the left were murdered by Pinochet and the country was run by a military dictator in order to enact capitalist reforms.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
How can a country that limits ones freedoms be classed as "a free country"?
The American people have allowed the US Government to become the most incredible illusionists in the world with their collective stupidity..... that's how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies