Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Just like the poor and most of the middle class are completely clueless as to how hard someone had to work to become rich. Everyone *thinks* they work hard...most people don't even know the beginning of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
excellent post thank you.

Yeh...I always roll my eyes and laugh whenever I hear of a moneyed person complaining they need another vacation to "get away from it all".

I always think "Get away from what exactly ???"
Riiiiight. Because you haven't the first clue what they have to go through to become and sustain their life as a 'moneyed person.'

I'm not saying they're right or wrong or whatever.

Just saying that the cluelessness runs both ways.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just like the poor and most of the middle class are completely clueless as to how hard someone had to work to become rich. Everyone *thinks* they work hard...most people don't even know the beginning of it.
Agreed, there are reasons people are rich and people are poor. There are cases of hardship, but only to a point.

Envy is a play right out of the candyass crybaby book.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
/sarcasm

Yes, the rich are clueless hateful and selfish.

The poor are lazy degenerates.

Blacks are thieves and drug dealers.

Asians are walking calculators

Jews are greedy.

Oh wait, this isn't the "pick a stereotype" thread and rant?

My bad.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM

216 posts, read 57,508 times
Those rich people who have enjoyed the journey of making money probably lovingly look back on how they made their first £1000 a realise that they are envious of the people who have less!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
Those rich people who have enjoyed the journey of making money probably lovingly look back on how they made their first £1000 a realise that they are envious of the people who have less!

What is funny is people envy at all levels.

My mother had a very hard time raising my brother and I alone. She worked her arse off. She eventually got married and they worked hard saving, investing, etc... They weren't rich by any means, they just didn't have a severe amount of debt. They were able to buy things as they needed and sometimes wanted.

We had a portion of our family who didn't operate on such principals and they constantly went on about how my parents were rich, had tons of money and how selfish they were.

That is why when I see these idiots going on about the rich, it makes me want to spit on the ground. They are ignorant, envious and motivated to their self interests. They are too busy counting other peoples money to pay attention to their own.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Forgive me if this is the wrong board and feel free to move it. I just thought if I posted here it might result in interesting results by a wider amount of CDers.

I pose this question, because it really seems to me that the wealthy & affluent are clueless about a lot of things.

Some examples of why I increasingly think this way:

Friend working in a care home as laundry attendant is outside on patio having cigarette break, Owners youngish daughter (20ish- general manager of the place) and some of her affluent friends come out to the patio and begin conversation with friend.

Friend mentions that her washing machine just broke and she didn't know what she was going to do as she didn't have a car and so couldn't use a laundromat.

Daughter and friends seem mystified by this and exclaim "Why don't you just buy another one ???" As if that's the most logical answer. And it would be if you had the money to do so.

Friend says "Why didn't I think of that ?" thinking to herself it should be obvious to them as she works for min wage.

Another friend works in a restaurant and is late for work because his car broke down and he has to take the bus. Some regular highly wealthy ladies sitting down at one of his tables engages him in conversation and he mentions the car dilemma.

Same reaction as in the last example "Why don't you just buy another car ???"

My brother married into a family so wealthy that that family and ours are on completely different ends of the spectrum. Brother used to be extremely anti-illegal immigration when he was poor, but now seems blaise about the whole thing when I tell him my story of losing a slated job to an illegal.

He doesn't seem to "get" anymore what it's like to be poor because every holiday and birthday he's all like "Why aren't you guys getting my kids any presents ??" And lays on this guilt trip thing, despite the fact that he knows full well our financial situation at this time is being used for necessities only. Same attitude when it comes to visits (he lives in a fancy town in California and married in Beverly Hills country club if that gives you an idea of just how wealthy his new family is) He seems all offended that we never buy plane tickets and just hop on down there.

These are just a few examples and frankly it's kind of annoying the way the wealthy seem to not actually notice or understand the growing poor all around them and the fact that we have to live differently.

Does anyone else experience this ?

P.S. Please understand that I am not in anyway saying anybody owes me or my family anything. I'm simply pointing out that it would be nice if the wealthy could extend a little more understanding that not everyone can afford to live the way they do. They almost make you feel like you're committing a crime simply by being poor.
Two lame examples are hardly reflective of reality.. Children of rich people have no bearing on what means or takes to be rich.. I read a study recently that talked about wealth and minus big business's being handed down from generation to generation... on average fortunes generally last only a couple of generations..

Most of the "rich" folk I know.... infact ALL of them are completly self made hard working entrepreneurial type folks......

So to answer your question..... the rich are not clueless!!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
So to answer your question..... the rich are not clueless!!
No, but those who envy them certainly are greedy.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 PM

216 posts, read 57,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
No, but those who envy them certainly are greedy.
I'm greedy, yet I've never envied the rich.

I've spent a lot of time bettering myself over the years, making sure what I have is growing and with 95% lack of outgoings, I'm flying past everyone I know!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
To clarify about my friend: She had worked in this care home for years and was on small talk basis with the manager (daughter of owner) but not necessarily with the friends.

Daughter of owner had come out to the patio with some of her friends that were visiting and struck up a "how's it going ?" (you know, small talk convo that everyone knows has about as much depth as a mud puddle) convo.

Friend who is never fake and always brutally honest merely mentioned the thing that was most on her mind at the time. That's when the "Why don't you just buy another washing machine ???" comment happened.
Telling someone you barely know your personal problems has nothing to do with "not being fake". That's why most of us don't do it and why it's called "small talk". Your friend might have come off as a bit "weird".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies