Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and what is wrong with the comment

1. the person IS WORKING, so they do have an income
2. thier machine is BROKEN
3. they NEED clean clothes
4. either spend money at a laudrymat (which they state they cant do) or buy a new (or used) one

so its a VALID question, why not get a new one (btw NEW doesnt always mean not owned by anyone else...you can get used, scratch-n-dent, floor model, thrift store, appliance rehab, etc)
Agreed. Or they can try and fix it or have it fixed. When a person comes off as that helpless all you can do is smile politely and back away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I think that it was wrong because it assumed she had extra money available to just go out there right that instant (after slaving away for the duration of course) and buy herself one.
Don't you think it was wrong of her to assume that they'd want to hear about it?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,255 times
You have 95% of what every rich person in the world has...the other 5% is for you to create.... You think being rich suddenly makes you a better person or life any easier??? You still lay your head down at night to sleep.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
I'm greedy, yet I've never envied the rich.

I've spent a lot of time bettering myself over the years, making sure what I have is growing and with 95% lack of outgoings, I'm flying past everyone I know!

I never said the two were synonymous, just that those who do envy the rich are greedy.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
You don't even have to be rich to feel better off. Many years ago a coworker told me how a woman on the train was wearing light shoes even in the winter and someone asked why doesn't she buy new ones. She had no money. Couldn't she buy on credit? No, didn't have any credit either.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,675 times
Quote:
Forgive me if this is the wrong board and feel free to move it. I just thought if I posted here it might result in interesting results by a wider amount of CDers.

I pose this question, because it really seems to me that the wealthy & affluent are clueless about a lot of things.

Some examples of why I increasingly think this way:

Friend working in a care home as laundry attendant is outside on patio having cigarette break, Owners youngish daughter (20ish- general manager of the place) and some of her affluent friends come out to the patio and begin conversation with friend.

Friend mentions that her washing machine just broke and she didn't know what she was going to do as she didn't have a car and so couldn't use a laundromat.

Daughter and friends seem mystified by this and exclaim "Why don't you just buy another one ???" As if that's the most logical answer. And it would be if you had the money to do so.

Friend says "Why didn't I think of that ?" thinking to herself it should be obvious to them as she works for min wage.

Another friend works in a restaurant and is late for work because his car broke down and he has to take the bus. Some regular highly wealthy ladies sitting down at one of his tables engages him in conversation and he mentions the car dilemma.

Same reaction as in the last example "Why don't you just buy another car ???"

My brother married into a family so wealthy that that family and ours are on completely different ends of the spectrum. Brother used to be extremely anti-illegal immigration when he was poor, but now seems blaise about the whole thing when I tell him my story of losing a slated job to an illegal.

He doesn't seem to "get" anymore what it's like to be poor because every holiday and birthday he's all like "Why aren't you guys getting my kids any presents ??" And lays on this guilt trip thing, despite the fact that he knows full well our financial situation at this time is being used for necessities only. Same attitude when it comes to visits (he lives in a fancy town in California and married in Beverly Hills country club if that gives you an idea of just how wealthy his new family is) He seems all offended that we never buy plane tickets and just hop on down there.

These are just a few examples and frankly it's kind of annoying the way the wealthy seem to not actually notice or understand the growing poor all around them and the fact that we have to live differently.

Does anyone else experience this ?

P.S. Please understand that I am not in anyway saying anybody owes me or my family anything. I'm simply pointing out that it would be nice if the wealthy could extend a little more understanding that not everyone can afford to live the way they do. They almost make you feel like you're committing a crime simply by being poor.
Only the hollywood types, they truely are clueless!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM

216 posts, read 57,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I never said the two were synonymous, just that those who do envy the rich are greedy.
What you mean is that those who envy the rich have a greedy thought pattern. Geez, you make it sound illegal for a person to want to better themselves.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Friend working in a care home as laundry attendant is outside on patio having cigarette break, Owners youngish daughter (20ish- general manager of the place) and some of her affluent friends come out to the patio and begin conversation with friend.
Um, the daughter isnt rich, her parents are

Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Most of the "rich" folk I know.... infact ALL of them are completly self made hard working entrepreneurial type folks......

So to answer your question..... the rich are not clueless!!

You got that right!

Especially when "rich" is defined at an income level of $250K. Without any consideration is given for the state one lives in, the COL in the state one lives in, the fact that some people actually save for their own retirement (no pensions - no matching), pay for their health insurance premiums 100% and have the foresight to save for their kids futures...so no one else has to.

Big bad rich people. Who were scraping by and counting pennies and clipping coupons in their 20's and early 30's....before the years of hard work paid off.

Cry me a river.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Apparently I don't hang around with "the rich," although I am taxed as if I am. Nobody I know says anything other than how they have lost everything they gained in this last recession, how they don't know how they are going to keep up with the insane property taxes imposed in southern NH, and how they've lost all hope of retiring or having a stable financial future.

And according to the media, NH is virtually exempt from the effects of this recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies