U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM

4,901 posts, read 4,537,603 times
Default Why Didn't Obama Listen To Bowles-Simpson?

This was his debt commision right?

I've heard from several people that had Obama followed what Bowles-Simpson had said then this whole default drama could have been avoided. So what problems did Obama have with this commission? Do they seem reasonable now?

‪Fiscal Commission: Unchecked Debt Threatens US Security‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:54 AM

14,522 posts, read 6,834,505 times
ever since debt commissions have been used, NO president has listened to them. you really think obama was going to be any different?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM

35,346 posts, read 42,242,394 times
I wondered about this, too . . . but I just have to assume they didn't say what O wanted to hear, for political reasons. Reid saw a way to politicize the issue by demonizing the GOP . . . so they took that route, hoping to upset the American public so in 2012, GOP would lose seats in Congress and O would be re-elected.

That is all I could figure out, cause otherwise . . . why ignore what these two very astute men relayed? (Bowles is f/ NC, btw, so I have watched his career for decades - he is credible - and Simpson has always had the reputation of being a steady, reliable statesman - respected by his peers)

So all I can figure out is - Obama and the DEMs in the Senate saw a way to earn some political benefits from mishandling the situation.

However, I don't know that the American public will buy it - folks may be easily manipulated by rhetoric, but I honestly believe most people can see through the deliberately manufacturered and escalated strum and drang that Reid created. Even if folks despise the Tea Party, I think it was obvious that their constituents sent them to DC to deal w/ the budget - and that is what they did - so demonizing them for doing what their consituents asked them to do seems really disingeneous for the leader of the Senate and the Pres. of the country.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:08 AM

20,255 posts, read 7,094,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This was his debt commision right?

I've heard from several people that had Obama followed what Bowles-Simpson had said then this whole default drama could have been avoided. So what problems did Obama have with this commission? Do they seem reasonable now?

‪Fiscal Commission: Unchecked Debt Threatens US Security‬‏ - YouTube
That wasn't the Debt Commission he wanted, it was a fallback. The Senate Committee with teeth he now will have, is the Debt Commission he wanted back in Jan, 2010.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:12 AM

35,346 posts, read 42,242,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That wasn't the Debt Commission he wanted, it was a fallback. The Senate Committee with teeth he now will have, is the Debt Commission he wanted back in Jan, 2010.
And that means . . . what?

Since Obama didn't like what he heard from these guys (who were on the money, as it were) . . . he just ignores it b/c it was not "the committee he wanted?"

Please explain how that makes any sense at all.

If someone speaks the truth, they speak the truth.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM

8,567 posts, read 4,931,786 times
Why Didn't Obama Listen To Bowles-Simpson?

Because he's busy practicing Cloward- Piven.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 AM

5,264 posts, read 2,284,684 times
Default Easy question to answer

This is simple. Simpson Bowles was all about pro-growth tax reform: take the garbage out of the tax code, reduce rates, collect more revenues. We have a 35% corporate tax rate, and nobody pays it. Makes more sense to have a lower rate, more equitable treatment for overseas earnings, and actually collect some revenues. Same thing for individuals: take out the garbage, widen the tax base, collect more on lower rates.

BUT Obama only wanted to beech-slap the rich and complain about "the owners of corporate jets" as if they were the problem. This is exactly the opposite of Simpson Bowles. Obama would add a few dozen pages to the tax code to single out corporate jet owners and deny them equal treatment under the law...Simpson Bowles is about taking the garbage OUT of the tax code. Barack Obama is about trying to excite his radical base with class trash about "the rich." This should have no place in American discourse. I prefer the term "formerly poor" because that is what I am.

Poor sign for the next few months: Obama signaled on Sunday night that he would continue his counterproductive campaign against the rich, instead of pursuing the sensible, centrist, bipartisan path laid out by Simpson Bowles and the Gang of Six.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,474,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This is simple. Simpson Bowles was all about pro-growth tax reform: take the garbage out of the tax code, reduce rates, collect more revenues. We have a 35% corporate tax rate, and nobody pays it. Makes more sense to have a lower rate, more equitable treatment for overseas earnings, and actually collect some revenues. Same thing for individuals: take out the garbage, widen the tax base, collect more on lower rates.

BUT Obama only wanted to beech-slap the rich and complain about "the owners of corporate jets" as if they were the problem. This is exactly the opposite of Simpson Bowles. Obama would add a few dozen pages to the tax code to single out corporate jet owners and deny them equal treatment under the law...Simpson Bowles is about taking the garbage OUT of the tax code. Barack Obama is about trying to excite his radical base with class trash about "the rich." This should have no place in American discourse. I prefer the term "formerly poor" because that is what I am.

Poor sign for the next few months: Obama signaled on Sunday night that he would continue his counterproductive campaign against the rich, instead of pursuing the sensible, centrist, bipartisan path laid out by Simpson Bowles and the Gang of Six.
Can we get Simpson-Bowles to run for office?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies