Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

This is a tough debate because... most business owners don't feel comfortable hiring an ex-con for understandable reasons, but at the same time, an ex-con has paid his/her debt to society, so should be given a second chance IF he/she is qualified for the position.
According to whom?

Convicted felons cannot vote, or own a firearm, and they have their ability to travel restricted.

Looks to me like a convicted felon continues paying for their crime for the rest of their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Wow. Very liberal.
Thank you.

Quote:
As to working with a convicted rapist, again the circumstances of the crime must be known to make a valid judgement. A conviction on date rape would make it hard to judge whether this person was safe to be in a building with alone, late at night. On the other hand, anyone convicted of attacking and raping a stranger is showing an inherent lack of ethics and morals and respect for other human beings. This type of person can NEVER be trusted, and if you are willing to work with them alone late at night, I suggest either education (if you truly don't see the danger) or counseling (if you enjoy playing russian roulette).
Not sure why you're introducing such an extreme circumstance. Why exactly would I be working alone with this guy late at night? I mean, I get what you're saying, but your example is very extreme.

Quote:
It is simply not true that you "could just as easily get raped by a stranger on the street." Most men would not rape, no matter what the circumstance. A very few have the inclination, and fewer still have made the further step to act on it. Those who have acted on it are far more likely to do it again, statistically. The number of people who would actually have the opportunity and inclination to commit rape on a public street is pretty small: you would have to be pulled into an alley and prevented from screaming. You can, and should, avoid walking alone past dark alleys late at night, and therefore the likelihood you will be raped is very small overall. On the other hand, a co-worker is assumed trustworthy. Many employed women find themselves alone with co-workers, though they know not to walk alone at night by dark alleys. If the co-worker has already committed rape, he is far more likely to do so again, than the co-worker who has never done such a thing.
Who's to say what men have committed rape? Just based on one's prison history? How about the many men whose crimes go unreported, undetected and unsolved?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
That does it. I want affirmative action for protection from all the progressive thinking skanks in HR who shovel their points system on the rest of us white males.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I was referring to those in this thread.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I think it's a terrible shame that many ex-convicts are not given a full chance to rehabilitate once they reenter society. They've paid their debt; they have a right to earn a living. Otherwise, you risk them falling back into the unsavory things they were doing to land in jail.

Trying to imagine the circumstances in which a murderer would be allowed to reenter society. Are we talking manslaughter? Wouldn't necessarily have a problem working with a convicted rapist. I could just as easily get raped by a stranger on the street.
Why do liberals always blather this sort of silly rhetoric, but turn right around and try to destroy people who are trying to rehabilitate like Michael Vick a la liberal animal rights groups?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Looks like the liberals and "progressives" in San Fran are feverishly working in ways where your typical felon now has as much right as any else to apply for jobs. No matter if they raped or killed someone. What's more, if an ex-con somehow feels discriminating against by not getting hired they will have a recourse to sue the business. With this, and the judges and prison deacons giving sexual favors to inmates, being a criminal has never included these many perks in the US.

Why Ex-Con Job Seekers Shouldn't Be Discriminated Against - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/why-ex-con-job-seekers-shouldnt-discriminated-against-092711018.html - broken link)
That's not affirmative action.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Oh boy, another reason for good hardworking people to get screwed over. YAY REGULATIONS !!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
As distasteful as it may be, criminals have the right to apply for any job & they cannot be discriminated against for their crimes. However, if the crime is deemed related to the job that they are applying for, they can be rejected.
How exactly would this work if you are a convicted murderer or rapist? If you're rapist, you shouldn't be allowed to work where women are, which would rule out many jobs. If you're a murderer then you're plumb out of luck if your job entails having to work with fellow human beings.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
How exactly would this work if you are a convicted murderer or rapist? If you're rapist, you shouldn't be allowed to work where women are, which would rule out many jobs. If you're a murderer then you're plumb out of luck if your job entails having to work with fellow human beings.
According to this bill
Quote:
Sex offenders and perpetrators of some violent crimes would not be covered.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
I think it really depends on the offense. For drug users, I do not think a felony should be involved, unless dealers. For violent offenders, I am not sure they can be rehabilitated. Some are better locked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies