Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:53 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
The government provides services to all Americans. However, some Americans pay more for the same "service" than others.

I don't like very much the idea of walking into a store and purchasing a gallon of milk and being asked to show my W-2. "Oh, you make THAT much money!? Ok, that gallon of milk costs you $20. Sorry, but you should pay more since you earn more."

And that is the same idea as what progressive taxes are.

Shallow at best. America is also a country and economy that provides opportunity for many (not all) and some to prosper - not just because of the individual but because of where they live. Do you think Bill Gates or Warren Buffet would be billionaires if they were born in South America or Africa??

The government doesn't just provide 'services' like street lighting or infrastructure, it also determines how its society will support systems that are deemed important to for future growth or investment and to look after its old and poor.

The 'law of diminishing marginal utility' suggests that it is both 'fair and efficient' to tax at a higher rate relative to the more one earns past the point of acceptable utility. Consumption or sales taxes are regressive for this reason and flat taxes are inefficient (according to almost all economic theory).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Thats a bit harsh. The chances of winning the lottery are pretty much zero but the $1 (or whatever it costs) for a ticket allows people to dream a little bit between when they buy the ticket and when the draw is made.
Great! So now the tax money I pay is cycled through entitlements to those who refuse to get out and help themselves, and then my money is paying for them to dream?

I have to dream on my own dime... that's just not fair!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I believe the reason for the lottery was to fund school. Whatever happened to that.

I live in NJ and I was told the income tax is created to fund school. Then when I look at my property tax bill, over 70% go to school as well. So how much money is needed for school? Or the money go into the packet or insider. Since there is no audit, they can just say unaccountable and get away from it.

Anyway, back to topic. The reason why the poor and low income earner play lottery is because they lack of basic math skill. If you do the math, your odd is a lot higher with roulette than buying a lottery ticket.

Rich people or financial educated people don't play lotto because they understand the odd. Sure, some body will win, but the odd is so small that it make no different than just throwing away the money away.

I do play $1 whenever they have a new record jackpot.
"" The reason why the poor and low income earner play lottery is because they lack of basic math skill.""

How condescending and erroneous of you.

The poor buy tickets because they really don't want to be poor anymore and to work your way out of poverty in America is a superhuman feat that is daunting to face.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"" The reason why the poor and low income earner play lottery is because they lack of basic math skill.""

The poor buy tickets because they really don't want to be poor anymore and to work your way out of poverty in America is a superhuman feat that is daunting to face.
Damn, you should like the lotto spokesman "Dream Big".

They lack of basic math skill and financial education.

I guess the poor by definition is any one or family making under 30 or 40k a year.

30k (in fact 100k is not high after tax), but it is a livable wage and a well manage family will have something left over. Save or invest those money, either in an investment class or yourself so you can move up and make more money.

BUT, that's not most so call poor does.
Instead of going to movie once every other month, they go every week.
Instead of getting a $0.50 or $0.75 coffee, they have to go Starbuck that cost 5 time more.
Instead of traveling by train/bus, they take taxi and car services.
Instead of buying a $20 sneakers, they buy one cost $200
Instead of using the iPhone that is perfect good, they buy the iPhone 4G or whatever it is out there.
The list go on and on....

They have this believe system that since they are "poor", they have to spend every penny they have so they don't look poor.

My sister and my wife's brother in law make a lot of money, yet, they are the cheapest people I know. This is the reason why they are well off and can take trips 3 or 4 times a year.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
What I read into the OP is a testament to the failed ideology of liberalism. Liberals would rather tax the hell out of the person who works hard to earn a successul living (ie the rich), and then turn around and give it to those who do as the OP mentions.....spend it on lottery...beer..and cigarettes.

Liberal ideology is scum.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:

You are the one being condescending to the "poor". You are the one thinking that it would be some superhuman effort for them to work their way out of poverty. Geesh.

What the chronic poor need is a reality check. Just as many in the Relationships forum criticize women for holding on to their fairy tale fantasies of marrying some Prince Charming and then living happily ever after as his Princess, the poor need to stop fantasizing about becoming wealthy and living a celebrity lifestyle. The chronic poor need to stop buying lottery tickets and instead NOT have kids early or out of wedlock, they need to value a good education by working hard in grade school and going on to college (even a community college or night school) or going to a trade school. They need to delay having children until they are making enough money to have one or two of them. They also need to consciously make an effort to live a healthy lifestyle, one that means less fast food, less soda (water is free), drinking in moderation (cutting down on going out to drink on a weekly basis), not smoking cigarettes, and less tv, internet and electronic gaming... and do more physical exercise. And to stop throwing money away on expensive hairdos, applied finger nails and trying to look like their favorite celebrity. Also not driving around in leased bling Escalades which suck up gas is another way their money gets wasted on.

The chronic poor should be striving for a productive middle class lifestyle instead of hoping to wealthy and sitting around eating bon-bons in some mansion. And that's the fantasy they are hoping for when they buy lottery tickets.

Otherwise, only in the US are the chronic poor morbidly obese.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Damn, you should like the lotto spokesman "Dream Big".

They lack of basic math skill and financial education.

I guess the poor by definition is any one or family making under 30 or 40k a year.

30k (in fact 100k is not high after tax), but it is a livable wage and a well manage family will have something left over. Save or invest those money, either in an investment class or yourself so you can move up and make more money.

BUT, that's not most so call poor does.
Instead of going to movie once every other month, they go every week.
Instead of getting a $0.50 or $0.75 coffee, they have to go Starbuck that cost 5 time more.
Instead of traveling by train/bus, they take taxi and car services.
Instead of buying a $20 sneakers, they buy one cost $200
Instead of using the iPhone that is perfect good, they buy the iPhone 4G or whatever it is out there.
The list go on and on....

They have this believe system that since they are "poor", they have to spend every penny they have so they don't look poor.

My sister and my wife's brother in law make a lot of money, yet, they are the cheapest people I know. This is the reason why they are well off and can take trips 3 or 4 times a year.
What class do you belong to?

Whatever it is it has very poor English/grammar/spelling skills along with an inability to present facts.....and a delusion of gigantic proportions that lets them think they personally know each and every poor person.....

Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What I read into the OP is a testament to the failed ideology of liberalism. Liberals would rather tax the hell out of the person who works hard to earn a successul living (ie the rich), and then turn around and give it to those who do as the OP mentions.....spend it on lottery...beer..and cigarettes.

Liberal ideology is scum.
Isn't that what "Atlas Shrugged" is all about ?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:

My wife arrived in this country with one overnight bag, and less than $100 in her pocket. She came as part of a 1-year cultural exchange program. We met and married and plans changed. At the time I was making about $50K.

She took a few classes at the local community college, found something that interests her, and pursued it. She kept at it, found an employer with education benefits, and earned a Masters' degree. She's making well over six figures now.

Determination and motivation, yes. Superhuman? Hardly.

What did she do that anyone else with some determination could not? This country offers opportunities not available anywhere else. To sit and suck on the public teat for generations is inexcusable under any circumstances.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
My wife arrived in this country with one overnight bag, and less than $100 in her pocket. She came as part of a 1-year cultural exchange program. We met and married and plans changed. At the time I was making about $50K.

She took a few classes at the local community college, found something that interests her, and pursued it. She kept at it, found an employer with education benefits, and earned a Masters' degree. She's making well over six figures now.

Determination and motivation, yes. Superhuman? Hardly.

What did she do that anyone else with some determination could not? This country offers opportunities not available anywhere else. To sit and suck on the public teat for generations is inexcusable under any circumstances.
Well, ya, she was the HOLY IMMIGRANT! Who got jobs and handouts BECAUSE she was a Holy Immigrant.

Anyway, there are many INDIVIDUAL PERSONAL stories NONE of which make it true for EVERY individual.

But thank you for proving to some other dunderheads that all poor people aren't mathematically challenged.

To the rest, your stereotypical views of the poor are a blatant shout out about your own insecurities...pretty easy to look down your nose at all those horrible poor people.....well, once in awhile don't be so LAZY...LOOK UP...to those who have so much more than you and think about what losers they think YOU are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies