U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,114,433 times

Advertisements

“Have we as a nation gone mad, waging war in the Persian Gulf while society crumbles?” Seymour Melman asked rhetorically when I interviewed him for The Progressive 19 years ago.

Even though Melman, a professor emeritus at Columbia University's school of industrial engineering, departed this life in 2004, his question still haunts our society, as the American War Machine since then has only gained in momentum, immensity, universality and cruelty.

To answer Melman: “Yes, we have gone mad.” That's because presidents and Pentagon chiefs start new wars even before they finish fighting the old ones! Who can recall a time in our history when the U.S. initiated aggressive wars against five nations(Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Libya, Yemen)?

Between 1947 and 1989, Melman said, the U.S. spent $8.2 trillion (in 1982 dollars) on the military. When I said I couldn't grasp a figure that large, Melman replied, “Think of it this way: In 1982, the total money value of all America's manufacturing, industry and its infrastructure amounted to $7.3 trillion. You could have replicated the largest part of everything made by people in this country with what the military got.” (Everything made by everybody? All the houses? All the highways? All the schools? All the hospitals? A new America? Everything?)

Melman went on to say, “Half of every dollar you pay in Federal taxes goes into the military account. Pentagon contractors are awash in billions while the infrastructure that underpins our economy collapse around us and human misery spreads everywhere.”

The Pentagon Rules America: Militarism and the Crisis of the Civilian Economy - BlackListedNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 AM

19,216 posts, read 12,988,659 times
Conservative would say, "It's better for America to crumble over there than over here.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 AM

5,925 posts, read 4,543,335 times
I wish we were actually stealing the oil liberals accuse us of.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,373,616 times
WAR has become America's economy as well as our reason for existing. Just ask any military contractor.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:22 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,139,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I wish we were actually stealing the oil liberals accuse us of.
me too.

at least we would have an excuse to be engaging in this type of behavior.

as it stands now, we have no excuses.

all of that military spending overseas and stolen money.

can you imagine if that same amount of money was directed here? all the food spending, fuel spending, air conditioning tent spending, infrastructure spending, stolen money spending....

small businesses would prosper again, and things would be looking up for america.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,263,511 times
I agree with Melman, but not for the same reasons as the lefties.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM

I am beginning to think we went in the wrong direction when we got in a War with the Barbary Pirates to protect shipping rights. Why should we use our military to protect foreign merchants or any merchants such as the Petroleum Cartels? Let them pay for their own protection and consider it a cost of doing business.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,139,736 times
our leaders never wanted us to be energy independent.

we could be using the money wasted pretending to protect european oil shipping routes to be developing our own reserves. we could start with natural gas and we have plenty of that. it would start an entire INDUSTRY in this country.

real jobs would actually be created here for a change.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 AM

Please note these wars for the control of oil are about the MONEY and who collects it. We are supporting every tyrant in the Middle East as well as several European Royal families with our wars. These are the wealthiest of the wealthy and they apparently OWN us.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 AM

27,903 posts, read 34,441,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
me too.

at least we would have an excuse to be engaging in this type of behavior.

as it stands now, we have no excuses.

all of that military spending overseas and stolen money.

can you imagine if that same amount of money was directed here? all the food spending, fuel spending, air conditioning tent spending, infrastructure spending, stolen money spending....

small businesses would prosper again, and things would be looking up for america.
The only way that you're going to survive the next century as Americans will be to institutionalize (through force if necessary) democracy in the "east."

Billions of people screaming about human rights is the only way you're going to stop the industrial machine that's occurring over there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies