Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
And since the Clinton Administration did NOT rack up debt, the other 2/3rds would belong almost entirely to the Republicans of the last 30 years.
Don't pop their liberal bashing bubble with facts. You know how they hate those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'm fed up and need to vent:

"Tea Party Downgrade". That's what the Democrats are calling it now as they try to spin out of any responsibility whatsoever. I find this absurdly laughable since most everyone can see that there is history on both sides that calls for a pox on both their houses. But, here's the thing: the downgrade comes from the realization on S&P's part that the government, as a whole, is incapable of reducing the debt to GDP ratio and any neutral observer would have to admit that they are right. The debt is continuing to grow and the economy is still terrible. So, how is the Tea Party responsible for the downgrade? They called for more reductions in spending and a balanced budget amendment. That would have improved the ratio and saved us from the downgrade. Wasserman-Schultz has already said that Obama and the Democrats own the economy now (the only non-hyperbole I've ever heard from her) so they take responsibility for the economy side of the ratio. It's pretty simple, really. I've seen people on the left continue to blame Bush in an effort to deflect responsibility and, of course, they are right--the debt did go up under Bush but, as I see it, that's ancient history and, if Bush was a bad president, what does that make Obama? It's not like he's done anything that has worked but he has done things that didn't. So where's the smartest guy in the room? And, then there's the lack of leadership....ugh! Very dissappointing.

Calling this a Tea Party Downgrade is about the worst case of spin I have ever heard and it makes me sick that these political hacks are still trying to blame the other side instead of dealing with the truth. It's all about power and re-election. Either they've forgotten why they went to Washington or they never cared about the country in the first place. EVERYTHING comes from the strength of the economy including social programs, not the other way around but they just don't get it and it looks like they never will.

I am usually pretty centrist but the past few years of blaming the other guy and doing absolutely nothing but making matters worse has changed me. I am seriously thinking that only the Tea Party is capable of producing representatives who will do the necessary work to get us back on the right track financially and who are less concerned with getting re-elected.
Addicts always blame everyone but themselves when their drug of choice is being threatened. And the deeper the addiction, the more viscous and unreasonable the attack on the one that is giving them the truth.

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Bascail;ly uinder Obama and the democrats its a chnaged game i which htis coutnry has gone downhill.They bascailly sadi that Obama leading the nation has not addressed the issue of the defciit spening. Its now gone to 100% of GDP. Greece was 130% from reports. The only plan thru the white house was his commisssion which he and demcrats dismissed while they had the time to pass the measures.Same thing they did with SS last tien around saying it didn't need fixing.Tax and spend even more than that ;as usual.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
By obstinately refusing to raise taxes.

To reduce deficits we need more revenue and less debt. The Tea Party believes religiously in the idea that lowering taxes "magically" improves GDP, and so therefore all we need to do is cut spending. This is simply not correct.
Is there a chance that the Democrats who make all the loud noises believe that all we need to do is raise taxes? It sure seems like that to me. Maybe a combination of both things would work but Dems don't want to have to budget and haven't voted in the Senate on a budget proposal for about 825 days, which Harry Reid is very proud of.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I'm happy that our lying bastard president is finally being exposed for the fraud that he is.

I'm NOT happy to see me and my family's stock market holdings gain a net of 0 since December of last year.

There was absolutely no reason to raise the debt ceiling.
Other than defaulting, but who cares about that, right?

What specifically did the President lie about? And how are those lies responsible for your stock market holdings? More importantly, didn't you choose your own stock portfolio? How is it the responsibility of the President to have your choices earn money? The economic crash did not start during his time in office, so...

Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Economists all over the world think America needs to raise taxes on its wealthy.

The only people who don't are the alliance between Tea Partiers and Wall Street, who think that lower taxes increase GDP, just like "magic."

Actually that's not totally correct... only the Tea Partiers think that lowering taxes increases GDP. Wall Street actually knows better, they are just using the Tea Partiers as pawns in a political game.
Those economists should probably get their own acts together, before lecturing the US. Considering that the rest of the world is in worse shape than we are, they really have no room to talk.

It amazes me that there are people out there attacking the folks calling for an end to out-of-control spending, borrowing money we don't have, and increase in govt spending.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We do vote for multiple presidents. One every 4 years.. Or do you think we have a king and only elect one to last a lifetime?
Who is this SeighHeigh you people keep quoting. Posts from that person don't show up on my screen so I just don't know what that one is saying unless I see your quotes. Maybe it is best for my blood pressure since I don't understand that kind of ignorance of what is going on.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default GOP causes downgrade, but Republican candidates blame Obama

The American public is not fooled by who the real problem is in this country: the GOP and Tea Baggers. True for 13 straight years running now.

GOP Causes S&P Downgrade, but Republican Candidates Blame Obama | The Nation

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
And since the Clinton Administration did NOT rack up debt, the other 2/3rds would belong almost entirely to the Republicans of the last 30 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Don't pop their liberal bashing bubble with facts. You know how they hate those.
Um, Congress sends spending bills onto Presidents. Congress simply didnt write massive spendign bills during Clintons term. As for blame the Republicans, Democrats have held Congress about 75% of the time, over the last 30 years, and 4 of them, happened to be during the Clinton term..

But hey, dont let facts get in your way..

Quote:
Well you raise taxes, and you spend that money on the obligations we've already committed to spending, but refuse to cut, and have no way to pay for.

This would've helped close the long and short term deficits, which prevents the credit downgrade. Problem solved.
But that last vote was to allow a horrendous amount of money for more charging. We can't raise nearly enough in taxes on the rich which is all the Democrats seem to think needs to be done. We just don't have enough of that kind of people.

Give those politicians more money from either taxes or borrowed and you just encourage them to spend more money, not to pay down the debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies