Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,329,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
These things are flying off the line. Look what happens when the government tries to run a private business. Maybe they can shoot for 150 in August and show a big "bump" in sales percentage to make the headlines?

"Sales of the much-hyped Chevy Volt fell to new lows as did GM share price as July auto sales figures came in. Only 125 Volts were sold during the month of July. Recent reports attributed the slump to supply constraints as GM spokeswoman, Michelle Bunker, was quoted as saying that the Volt was "virtually sold out" and only a "few" were available nationwide. I have confirmed that this statement is not entirely truthful and have gotten clarification from GM through Director of Communications, Greg Martin. A search of cars.com site showed nearly 500 Chevy Volts listed for sale. I had originally assumed that GM dealers were advertising vehicles that were not actually available for sale, since GM has stated that there were only a "few" Volts available. I decided to call a few dealers within 75 miles of my location to determine what the true situation was. I stopped my research after finding that five of the first six dealers I called had Volts in inventory available for immediate sale. Two of the five dealers even had two each in stock. I can now safely assume that GM is, once again, not being entirely honest with its facts. The demand for the Chevy Volt is not as strong as GM would have us believe."

GM Confirms Slow Chevy Volt Sales | National Legal and Policy Center

• The new GM (Government Motors) proudly introduces the 2010 Obama…
  • This car runs on hot air and broken promises.
  • It has three wheels that speed the vehicle through tight left turns
It comes complete with two Teleprompters programmed to help the occupants talk their way out of any violations.
The transparent canopy reveals the plastic smiles still on the faces of all the “happy” Democrat owners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 AM

24,365 posts, read 22,971,260 times
I saw a Chevy Volt on the highway yesterday. Its not a bad looking car but the concept is just bad pricewise. Its insane to spend that kind of money on a car of that size. If a cars battery breaks down you're looking upwards of $10,000 to replace it or so I was told. I also saw a Honda Fit. Not a bad little car, better than a (not so) Smart Car.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,551,265 times
I agree with sailordave---the fact that the lefties hijacked the Democratic Party 35+ years ago to do their bidding has certainly demolished the middle class not only here in LA, but nationwide; their stonewalling practices are notorious job-killers, and that's beyond debate.

When I drove from LA to Oklahoma City in 2006, the difference between the price of a gallon of unleaded gasoline here in LA vs. OKC was over eighty cents per gallon, and environmental obstructionism in building new refineries was the #1 culprit for that disparity.

The price tag for the Volt remains a major deterrent, and folks are still scared about being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Even Toyota's very heavily subsidized Prius hasn't approached the yearly sales numbers of the Civic or Corolla statewide or nationwide, for although it routinely finishes among the top 25-30 monthly sellers in California, it hasn't really gotten any traction outside of California.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,804,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Naw, just need to double the price of gas.
Then I'd go with the fully electric zero emission Nissan Leaf instead of the 30mpg gas guzzler Volt.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,816,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I saw a Chevy Volt on the highway yesterday. Its not a bad looking car but the concept is just bad pricewise. Its insane to spend that kind of money on a car of that size. If a cars battery breaks down you're looking upwards of $10,000 to replace it or so I was told. I also saw a Honda Fit. Not a bad little car, better than a (not so) Smart Car.
GM covers the batteries for 8 years, after that length of time, what will the free market aftermarket price be? Who knows, but I would guess a good bit lower than $10,000.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,961,938 times
Where is GM gonna get the rare earth elements that go into those batteries? I got a hint for ya......were fighting a war for em now.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,961,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post

• The new GM (Government Motors) proudly introduces the 2010 Obama…
  • This car runs on hot air and broken promises.
  • It has three wheels that speed the vehicle through tight left turns
It comes complete with two Teleprompters programmed to help the occupants talk their way out of any violations.
The transparent canopy reveals the plastic smiles still on the faces of all the “happy” Democrat owners
LOL. Sad thing is in twenty years we'll probably be all putting around in those things or be back in our big wheels and green machines heading to work.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,551,265 times
And in the words of Fats Domino, 'Ain't That A Shame?????'

Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,797,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Actually, they are doing better than I expected.

Let this be a lesson - when the government starts picking winners and losers, tries to twist arms and minds into the kind of service or product THEY deem acceptable, that is a sure sign of overreach, gross intrusion into the private sector and a sure fire LOSS for the taxpayer.
Yep communism did not work well in the USSR...no reason why it should here.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:41 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yep communism did not work well in the USSR...no reason why it should here.
Do you even know what happened in USSR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies