Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Until you get better at them, I think it's a good idea.

I'll take Mississippi over any of the aformentioned cities. I have been to Mississippi.

BTW, there are 89 Democrats in the Misissippi State Legislature, with 33 Republicans.
Is Mississippi conservative?
Huh?

State Vote

Mississippi is conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You do realize that 12) and your opening paragraph directly contradict each other. Countries with health care as a right have extremely high taxation as that is the only way you can afford it. Furthermore 7) and privatizing social security are contradictory as well considering that in America the only real social safety net for the elderly and disabled is Social security related programs.

I hate to say it, but what you want is impossible. If you want stuff like 7,8,10,12 then you have to pay for it and that requires higher taxation, or budget deficits.
That's a marxist in a nutshell- Insisting on the impossible.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
1. Obama is not very pro-Gay Marriage.
2. Obama Has not talked about cutting many things, especially the military.
3. Conservatives complain about Libya and the Middle East intervention.

Just some things to think about.
He's got his dream guy in the White House right now. Don't let 2 or 3 little items spoil the love-affair. He's your dream-date and welcome to him.
If this guy ever votes Republican we'll know we've gone really far wrong.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I tend to be liberal, but I am also realistic. That kind of thinking was my biggest problem with former president Bush. He created all these long term budgetary commitments without paying for them like Medicare part D, the Bush tax cuts, and open ended wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fortunately Obama has taken an ax to Medicare part D, and I have hope that he is/will be drawing down Iraq and Afghanistan. When they finally kill off the Bush tax cuts and we get out of this recession I think we will start to see real budgetary improvements.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
You sure know what you are talking about.

Quote:
He's got his dream guy in the White House right now. Don't let 2 or 3 little items spoil the love-affair. He's your dream-date and welcome to him.
If this guy ever votes Republican we'll know we've gone really far wrong.
This is ridiculous. People just villainize Obama because he is a Democrat. He is nothing more. Nice try though.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
1) Will work to appeal DOMA
2) Wants to keep Religion and State totally separate
3) Will cut from the military as aggressively as will he will cut from social programs.
4) Is a non-interventionist internationally
5) Believes in the right to privacy and our civil liberties
6) Believes in government as a necessary, stabilizing force in society
7) Believes in an appropriate level of a social safety net that takes care of the infirm, disabled, etc., who cannot care for themselves and have no family to do so.
8) Believes in regulatory efforts designed to protect the environment
9) Believes that climate change exists and promotes scientific efforts to ameliorate its effects
10) Believes in the importance of education and the need for radical educational reform that doesn't starve public schools
11) Believes in the need for government intervention to insure protection of religious, racial, economic and sexual minority groups.
12) Believes in health care as a right afforded to everyone, not a privilege for those who can pay for it.
I agree with many of these positions and I am highly unlikely to vote for a Democrat.

What exactly does #5 mean to you? Do you mean abortion? Or do you mean the government doesn't care what you do in your own home?

A key word is missing on some of your list. "Reasonable." As in reasonable measures to protect the environment.

#7 - what is "appropriate?"

#9 - climate changes all the time. Is it man-made? I'm not convinced.

#10 - fix the single parent household and education will improve dramatically. The federal government CANNOT fix poor inner city schools without fixing the family problem. No Phd. from Harvard can improve education performance through any makeover of the schools, the teachers, or through testing.

#11 - I think protection of these rights is generally more than adequate. But I think what you want is the government to use force to continue to treat people differently based on their skin color, sexual preference, etc. The better answer is for the country to finally move to stop letting people use their color as an excuse.

I want the government out of the marriage business. I want the disparate tax treatment of people based on their marriage status, dependents, or home ownership to go away. I want to see EVERY adult of voting age contribute to the funding of our government. I think it is unfathomable that someone who pays zero federal taxes, or even pays negative taxes, gets to vote for politicians who will take other people's money and give it to them. The government should quit trying to modify the behavior of people and businesses through taxes.

I want the US to focus far more on its own business and reduce its role as the national police force. Maybe some of our allies who get by with so little defense spending will have to do more if we do less. These countries may be richer than us on a per capita basis.

The US treasury spends almost as much money paying interest on the US debt as we spend on defense and social programs. We must get our finances in order.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Frankly, I think our country should have more fiscal sanity. Massive budget cut backs, and fiscal restraint is an absolute necessity. Yes, I wouldn't mind lower amounts of taxation as well. I do think that lower taxation stimulates business and helps the economy in general.

So this progressive is open to voting Republican. If you can find me a Republican who:

3) Will cut from the military as aggressively as will he will cut from social programs.
7) Believes in an appropriate level of a social safety net that takes care of the infirm, disabled, etc., who cannot care for themselves and have no family to do so.
9) Believes that climate change exists and promotes scientific efforts to ameliorate its effects
10) Believes in the importance of education and the need for radical educational reform that doesn't starve public schools
11) Believes in the need for government intervention to insure protection of religious, racial, economic and sexual minority groups.
12) Believes in health care as a right afforded to everyone, not a privilege for those who can pay for it.

Right now even my Democratic candidates don't meet many of these elements, and I believe the Republicans are more fiscally responsible.

So here I am-- A life long progressive, Democrat whose vote is up for grabs. Show me the candidate. Convince me. But know where I come from and know that my commitment to other issues listed is steadfast.
ditto on everything that you said. I disagree with you that Repubs are more fiscally responsible though. They spend just about as much, but on different things. Look at George W. I wouldn't say that he was fiscally responsible. He's the one that is responsible for our unfunded wars and Medicare Part D plans.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 PM

591 posts, read 866,210 times
Quote:
Frankly, I think our country should have more fiscal sanity. Massive budget cut backs, and fiscal restraint is an absolute necessity. Yes, I wouldn't mind lower amounts of taxation as well. I do think that lower taxation stimulates business and helps the economy in general.

So this progressive is open to voting Republican. If you can find me a Republican who:

Right now even my Democratic candidates don't meet many of these elements, and I believe the Republicans are more fiscally responsible.

So here I am-- A life long progressive, Democrat whose vote is up for grabs. Show me the candidate. Convince me. But know where I come from and know that my commitment to other issues listed is steadfast.
Your points 2 and 1 disagree with each other. You can't have separation of Church and State while protecting religions. Make your mind up.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You sure know what you are talking about.

This is ridiculous. People just villainize Obama because he is a Democrat. He is nothing more. Nice try though.
Oh yeah, he's a peach.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree with many of these positions and I am highly unlikely to vote for a Democrat.

What exactly does #5 mean to you? Do you mean abortion? Or do you mean the government doesn't care what you do in your own home?

A key word is missing on some of your list. "Reasonable." As in reasonable measures to protect the environment.

#7 - what is "appropriate?"

#9 - climate changes all the time. Is it man-made? I'm not convinced.

#10 - fix the single parent household and education will improve dramatically. The federal government CANNOT fix poor inner city schools without fixing the family problem. No Phd. from Harvard can improve education performance through any makeover of the schools, the teachers, or through testing.

#11 - I think protection of these rights is generally more than adequate. But I think what you want is the government to use force to continue to treat people differently based on their skin color, sexual preference, etc. The better answer is for the country to finally move to stop letting people use their color as an excuse.

I want the government out of the marriage business. I want the disparate tax treatment of people based on their marriage status, dependents, or home ownership to go away. I want to see EVERY adult of voting age contribute to the funding of our government. I think it is unfathomable that someone who pays zero federal taxes, or even pays negative taxes, gets to vote for politicians who will take other people's money and give it to them. The government should quit trying to modify the behavior of people and businesses through taxes.

I want the US to focus far more on its own business and reduce its role as the national police force. Maybe some of our allies who get by with so little defense spending will have to do more if we do less. These countries may be richer than us on a per capita basis.

The US treasury spends almost as much money paying interest on the US debt as we spend on defense and social programs. We must get our finances in order.
Very well said. Reps to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies