Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 03:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nope. She was in trouble with the law because of some sort of zoning or residential laws with the city.

Basically, she would have gotten in trouble for having an old car on her lawn or never mowing it etc etc etc. The garden is a red herring my friend.

No, it's not. A nice tidy veggie garden isn't anything like having an old car on the lawn. And the arrest was all about the veggie garden.

This is a perfect example of our Big Government mentality.... too many people just have to tell everyone else how to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 03:32 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
jwm1964 -- I'd at least agree that our nation is a corporatocratic totalitarian democracy getting heavier on the totalitarian side by the minute. We're seeing several authoritarian entities gain increasing power (in this case, USDA & FDA), which support and are supported by the national government and major corporations. It's definitely a concerning trend for anyone who believes in individual liberty.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The government already quite often controls the food we can eat, how we can package it, how we can price it and when we can sell it.
My point exactly. The question is are we going to sit back and let them continue to exert (even more) control, or are we going to stand up and fight for our rights?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:08 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,385 times
Quote:
Um....wow.....Monsanto called....yeah....um...Im gonna back away slowly...here, have some change.
From 2006...

Fox News Kills Monsanto Milk Story - YouTube

Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Um....wow.....Monsanto called....yeah....um...Im gonna back away slowly...here, have some change.
Monsanto milk banned in Europe...

Monsanto's Toxic Milk - Banned in Europe - YouTube

Old 08-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Here's the crux and the question that we all need to examine and answer for ourselves:

Is our federal government overstepping it's jurisdiction and exercising powers that it wasn't granted as enumerated powers in Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitution by (ab)using the general welfare (ex: Public Health), common defence (ex: National Security), interstate commerce, and "necessary and proper" clauses and caveats; thereby violating the State and Personal rights that are Constitutionally protected in the 9th and 10th Amendments?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:05 PM

One major criticism with the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) is that it grants the FDA authority over any "person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food." The inclusion of "any" is considered ultra vires (outside jurisdiction) because the federal government and it's agencies/agents are not granted jurisdiction over commerce that occurs solely within a state's boundaries.

In the case of direct-sale and private club, the argument is that the State has no jurisdiction over private contracts other than providing a structure for fair trade and tort recourse, and is therefore creating judicial interference with the individual right to contract. Private contract (a transaction between one defined entity and another defined entity) is a matter of Civil/Private Law, not Public Law since it is not a Public transaction (between one defined entity and the government, or between an undefined entity and another undefined entity --i.e. a corporation and "the Public").

Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, it's not. A nice tidy veggie garden isn't anything like having an old car on the lawn. And the arrest was all about the veggie garden.

This is a perfect example of our Big Government mentality.... too many people just have to tell everyone else how to live.
I've been around veggie gardens for over 40 years and never had a problem.

If you read the article it was about BLIGHT and not that she was growing veggies. It could have been weeds, or a car on her lawn or whatever.

The lady chose to live in an uptight area with rules like this. Her mistake.

We agree that we would prefer to live in less regulated areas, which impacted my choice of where to live.

However, to turn this into some "they are out to get gardeners" conspiracy is quite frankly tin-foil time.

Oh MY GOD, Now the government won't let us play with Dolls. I URGE you to write to congress and get this poor victim of the government freed!
http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/20...entary-school/

That's the kind of logic at play here.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Monsanto milk banned in Europe...

Monsanto's Toxic Milk - Banned in Europe - YouTube
We were discussing your claims of monsanto shutting down a womens crappy little front yard veggie garden.

Nevermind, I'm going to go pick my beans from the comunity garden. Hopefully I'm not murdered by monsanto black helicopters en route.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
We were discussing your claims of monsanto shutting down a womens crappy little front yard veggie garden.

Nevermind, I'm going to go pick my beans from the comunity garden. Hopefully I'm not murdered by monsanto black helicopters en route.

Corporate Monsanto Farming Killing Local Organic Farm ! Construction killing Small Farms ! - YouTube

When planting our gardens, we want to use seeds that are not GM, genetically modified monsanto seeds. The GM seeds are only good for one harvest. Once the fruit or vegetable is harvested, the seeds of the harvested fruit do not bear fruit, therefore keeping Monsanto in business and us dependent on Monsanto for seeds. That's why they want to make farming illegal. Heirloom seeds are from organic farms and they are not genetically modified. The seeds from fruit this harvest may be used the following year .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvViUJAL8hk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies