Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, if your goal is to turn the United States into India, by all means....been hanging out with Michele Bachman lately.

The level of absurdity.....

In the 1950s, Europe and Asia were still both in smoldering ruins. The United States could tax and regulate international corporations as they liked. Union wages and benefits were paid without question because the US was the best place and perhaps the only place to be. This is no longer the case, but liberals refuse too see that. They hate corporations and want to punish them for doing business in America.

Looking at it from the position of an international corporation, why would I want to do my business in America with anti-corporate hippies constantly coming up with new regulations I have to abide by, abnormally high taxes I have to pay and endless bureaucracies I have to navigate?

Highest Marginal Tax Rate, Corporate Rate % statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

The solution to this problem will start with the people because the federal government is far too corrupt to make the business environment friendly to any companies except those who pay off the politicians. Today joblessness doesn't hurt enough to shock people out of their comfort zones, but this will change. When that happens, we'll gladly lower our marginal corporate taxes to a competitive level and only impose the most basic and necessary regulations on industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
First, go find a thread or a post where I gave Bush a break. I doubt you'll find one. I was never a real big Bush supporter, though I did agree with some of what he did, as well as the small government ideology he espoused, even if he didn't put that ideology into action. I thought he failed to pay enough attention to domestic issues, letting the democratic congress get away with stupid things like not addressing the flaws many saw in the operation of Fannie&Freddie. He absolutely should have pressed on issues like that one, but he didn't. And I openly criticized TARP when it was still his. I said, and still say, that no company is too big to fail, and we should let capitalism work.

Second, I never said to "lay everything at (Obama's) feet." I merely asked that you stop accusing every one of his detractors of racism when you have no reason or evidence to support such accusations, and have an intelligent discussion about what the man's done and is doing.
OK lets discuss. The biggest thing HC. Everyone knows that is was and is messed up. So Obama said elect me and I will take action on it. He did only he couldnt what he wanted and what is best,single payer. Why because the tea party thinks that HC is just fine like it is. Why because they get everything they want now and dont give a damn about people who work for greedy companies that pay them S$%% and offer no HC. That is and was already happening. The tea party answer nothing. Obama is guilty of working with people that wish him nothing but harm that is all. Now if the people on here can stop calling Obama GHETTO GOON,Kenyan,Muslim terrorist we can talk.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
OK lets discuss. The biggest thing HC. Everyone knows that is was and is messed up. So Obama said elect me and I will take action on it. He did only he couldnt what he wanted and what is best,single payer. Why because the tea party thinks that HC is just fine like it is. Why because they get everything they want now and dont give a damn about people who work for greedy companies that pay them S$%% and offer no HC. That is and was already happening. The tea party answer nothing. Obama is guilty of working with people that wish him nothing but harm that is all. Now if the people on here can stop calling Obama GHETTO GOON,Kenyan,Muslim terrorist we can talk.
It would help if BOTH parties stopped name-calling. How many times have the Tea Party been called terrorists? How many names has George W Bush been called? The left took every cheap shot imaginable and virtually eliminated any notion of common decency with all of their completely unrestrained mudslinging.

I'm sorry but if the Democrats can dish it but can't take it that's nobody's problem but theirs. They threw low blow after low blow after low blow. That means that virtually nothing is off limits and the Democrats are at fault for that. If the Tea Party or Republicans want to call Obama a monkey for example, well they called Bush that and put together countless pictures depicting him as Bush as a monkey. So now it's fair game, so quit whining about it.

Other things that Democrats made fair game by throwing at Bush: "Facist." "Satan." "Muslim Terrorist." ... well we could go on and on and on with that but the point is this: Nothing is off limits.

I think universal healthcare was done with the best of intentions, but I think doing it in the middle of the worst Recession in memory is just lousy timing. To fund something of that magnitude, you kinda needed surplus funds ready to use. Instead anyone who already has health insurance gets absolutely raped mostly because they had to pull the funds from somewhere. The idea was to rob from the insured and give to the uninsured. Doesn't work when companies everywhere were already abandoning ship on health insurance benefits because they cost too damn much. What Obama did wrong: You gotta fix the underlying causes that are and were driving the cost of health care so high. Fix what's broken, get the costs down and then a universal health care system might have made more sense.

Here's what we're up against with Obamacare:

Whether or not you now have health insurance, Obama’s health care bill will cost you dearly.

If you don’t have insurance, you will be required to buy it. The legislation specifies how much you will have to pay for the coverage before any subsidy kicks in. All during the campaign, Obama kept speaking about affordable coverage. Now it appears that his definition of “affordable” might be a bit elastic.

If your household income is $66,000 a year, slightly above the national average, Obama’s health care bill will require you to spend 12 percent of your income — about $8,000 a year or almost $700 a month — to buy health insurance before you get any federal subsidy.

Even those making less will have to reach deep into their meager resources to satisfy Obama’s statutory requirement. Families scraping by on only $44,0000 a year will have to pay 7 percent of their income (about $3,000) on insurance. Even those making just $33,000 will have to ante up 4.5 percent of their income (about $1,500) for health insurance. The required payments reach so far down the scale that those who are living at the federal poverty level of $22,000 will have to shell out 2 percent of their totally inadequate incomes ($440) for insurance.

Far too many people that I know cannot afford even the slightest loss of income right now and Obamacare will break them financially and force them to make some very unpleasant decisions: Things like moving a family of six into a tiny 1 bedroom house or 1 bedroom apartment, no longer being able to afford the mortgage on their house (making the housing crisis worse). Too many Americans are already stretched to the limit and taking another hit financially is something the just can't handle right now. And it's unlikely to be as cheap as projected above with the rising costs of heath care, the vast numbers of unemployed, underemployed and the vanishing American middle class being shipped overseas.

Other than that, I have no problem with the underlying concept of everyone having insurance of some sort.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 08-07-2011 at 08:55 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Lots of housing prices are STILL too high, even with Big Brother doing its best to prop them up. Let them bottom out naturally, cannot pay your mortgage....well, you should become a renter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies