Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,667,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hey, obama's got to keep that dependent on government base in his corner.
Obama is in fact so insidious, he went back in time to pass the 1996 Telecommunications Act which set up the Universal Service Fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM

932 posts, read 1,171,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
My home internet and phone costs me $71 a month. My cell phone and laptop costs me $100 a month.
You can get Metro PCS unlimited for under $50 a month.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,994,240 times
Interesting. You're against the poor having cell phones?

According to the latest information, as of the last two days, one out of every two people is now poor, and a substantial number of them are homeless. How would you propose giving a "landline" to someone that does not even have a home? Want him dragging a cord from under one bridge to the next? Would you like to trip over that cord when you're walking across the parking lot into your favorite restaurant? With one out of two poor, there should be enough cords strung across the parking lot that you should be able to catch at least one with your toe.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,114,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Interesting. You're against the poor having cell phones?

According to the latest information, as of the last two days, one out of every two people is now poor, and a substantial number of them are homeless. How would you propose giving a "landline" to someone that does not even have a home? Want him dragging a cord from under one bridge to the next? Would you like to trip over that cord when you're walking across the parking lot into your favorite restaurant? With one out of two poor, there should be enough cords strung across the parking lot that you should be able to catch at least one with your toe.
I'll bet out of those "one out of every two people is now poor" many of them still have their iPhones and daily ingestion of Starbucks...

Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,967,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Very basic phone service is not a new thing for the poor. Those programs have been available with land line phones for years.
Wy?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 PM

1,147 posts, read 905,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I thought you weren't talking to me? That didn't last long. Welcome back, then.

Awesome. You should tell that to the guy upthread who stated that "...the phone company can provide a wired land-line with voice mail for far less money", then. Oh wait - that was you. Awkward.

Cell is cheaper to operate, but the bottom line is cost. Mmm-hm.

Ah, there's the root of your confusion. It doesn't work the way you appear to think - the state does not purchase any services at all. The FCC oversees, but the money never goes through the public coffers.

The income from the Universal Service Fund is distributed by a non-profit company - a subsidiary of the National Exchange Carrier Association. Or, in plain English, the carriers/providers use the funds to finance the operation of their low-income services (and the other USF-financed services) directly.

And as you say, "most of us know that cell is cheaper to operate." After all, cost is the bottom line.
*burp* ........ anything ya say, Dane.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,261,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
Very basic phone service is not a new thing for the poor. Those programs have been available with land line phones for years.
Wy?
Why? Probably because a lot of people don't like reading about people dying in fires for lack of a phone to call the fire department or for someone not be able to call an ambulance for a baby chocking to death or not be able to get a job because companies don't hire people they can't call back after reading their application. Or maybe it's cheater for Social Services to call their clients instead of having to make house calls each and every time.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM

932 posts, read 1,171,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll bet out of those "one out of every two people is now poor" many of them still have their iPhones and daily ingestion of Starbucks...
What Starbucks do you go to? All I see when I pass Starbucks is a line of SUVs. Poor people can't afford $5 coffees. Not even I can!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,389,370 times
Free cell phones are a "civil right"? Wow...

Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 PM

3,999 posts, read 4,117,664 times
I think the biggest problem that most of us have isn't so much the cell-phones in and of themselves... but it's this:

Assistance available..
Aid for Education
Aid for Housing - Section 8
Aid for childcare
Aid for health services
Aid for for heating and cooling bills
WIC
Welfare
Cell-phones

Where does it end???

Ya'll have convinced me... maybe it's time we quit our jobs and just live off the assistance.. Without having to pay for all these things myself, who needs money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies