Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:08 AM

709 posts, read 1,495,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
You can thank Crony Capitalism for it Alex.
That is an oxymoron, like "dry water". If it's "crony" (which implies government intervention), then it's not "capitalism".

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Politicians, Corporations and Banks are more interested in propping up China and other countries to pad their portfolios than tailoring policies to employ American's.
Political power exists for its own sake. Corporations, including banks, are just voluntarily-established groups of people trying to live their lives with the boots of the state pressing down on them at every moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
AlexL, thanks for posting the facts. Always good to hear from actual people living it. And I'm sure you're not one of those "greedy house flippers upside down on their 500k homes from FL " either. The generalizations from msm talking points here are so very wrong.
This article quotes me at great length telling my story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Joblessness has come up on this thread ..... are any of your residents employed?
From the aforementioned article:

"Almost all Tent City residents I know, even the drunks and the addicts, look for work at least some of the time. They go to employment agencies, and they stand in certain places where employers pick them up for a day's construction work. People tend to go through cycles of discouragement -- at the peak of this cycle they make their best effort to get their lives together and find work, but then they get disappointed and surrender to their addictions for a while..."

The main reasons people, even the most dysfunctional people, can't pull their economic weight is because the government artificially multiplies the cost of living, particularly for basic shelter. In a free market, poor people would be able to get basic housing for a tenth of what it costs today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:02 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,920,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I'm sure you'd welcome them to the great state of TX, which is leading the US in minimum-wage jobs. Yeah, that's the great Texas Miracle...
I can show you where to get a job in the state of Texas, with no college and no training and start at $10 an hour. In other words all you have to do is go get the job and keep it. No that isn't even in the oil fields. In the oil fields you can start at about 70K a year. That's START at.. So go ahead and disparage all you want. Fact is, you don't have a clue.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 AM

11,644 posts, read 5,682,801 times
I can't believe all the disparaging remarks from people especially when it seems that these people are not on the gov't dole.

"For Burt and Barbara the care that they receive here is preferable to living on benefits provided by the Government."[LEFT]
We felt sorry for the residents of Katrina in their tent cities but condemn those who have lost their jobs and aren't subsisting on our tax payer dollars. We can all debate and give advise but we have no idea what they are really going through.

Here's a good project for those with all the answers - go live in the city for 60 days - give up everything and since you know all the answers - apply them and show these people how it's done - my bet is that not one person is that convinced that the answers they offer will still not find them in that tent city at the end of 60 days.

Instead of getting upset with these people who are making due with what they have at no cost to us - blame the gov't that put so many in this position.
[/LEFT]

Old 01-05-2014, 01:57 PM

88,272 posts, read 84,241,780 times
Quote:
So very true.

AlexL, thanks for posting the facts. Always good to hear from actual people living it. And I'm sure you're not one of those "greedy house flippers upside down on their 500k homes from FL " either. The generalizations from msm talking points here are so very wrong.

The Wall Street Tent Cities, of America clearly illustrate how badly the US economy is after the 2008 financial meltdown or shall we call it the Theft of the Century.
Today, the poverty and numbers are getting worse, ghost towns are spring up, tent cities are taking their place.
While today, news networks cover a few Connecticut areas where a storm knocked out power for a week, and the public is screaming at the power companies.
Imagine a year of no electricity, no heat, no water and no home?
But you won’t see these images in the main stream networks, they are ignoring poverty in America even though it grows by the day.

Tent City America created by Wall Street | Politics News From Politicol News
To be fair, the Tent City where Alex lives is in the newspaper just about every week, so you can't say the media ignores it. I'm sure similar communities are covered in their locales.

But of course the latest celebrity's stupid baby name will get far more press. And even though the media is, overall, pretty worthless as far as real reporting goes, in the end it's up to we the people as to whether we are going to ignore poverty or follow the celebrities.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,548,041 times
the msm ignores it. We all know how badly it has become. No one wants to watch the garbage they broadcast . Its dictated by corporate concerns. It isn't in corporations best interests to acknowledge the poverty rate in America/reality.

Karl Kraus, first critic of the lies of mainstream media: Salutin | Toronto Star

I am sorry for the Ops situation and hope he and his family can get through it.
Americans need to stop hating and blaming, maybe change can happen someday. The American msm is the source of divisiveness and obfuscation.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,202,675 times
Quote:
So very true.

The Wall Street Tent Cities, of America clearly illustrate how badly the US economy is after the 2008 financial meltdown or shall we call it the Theft of the Century.
Today, the poverty and numbers are getting worse, ghost towns are spring up, tent cities are taking their place.
While today, news networks cover a few Connecticut areas where a storm knocked out power for a week, and the public is screaming at the power companies.
Imagine a year of no electricity, no heat, no water and no home?
But you won’t see these images in the main stream networks, they are ignoring poverty in America even though it grows by the day.

Tent City America created by Wall Street | Politics News From Politicol News
A little over ten years ago I was homeless, and stayed in emergency day by day shelter space. It was always a race to get there and get in line so you beat out someone else. Since I have medical issues I couldn't have qualified for their program. But it was amazing how some of those who stayed as I did were also working. They just weren't making enough to even rent a room.

When I last rented a room it was seven hundred a month. The cheapest one bedroom apartment runs about 900 a month and you have to qualify. What do people do if they can't even come up with the seven hundred? They make a home somewhere they can still work.

I remember seeing people drive by when we were lining up and carefully not looking and wondering how many were on the verge of disastor.

I think a place I *knew* I would have a spot of my own would have been very welcome back then. I think we'll just be sprouting more such camps rather than less so long as we put no value on our own over the mighty dollar.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM

58 posts, read 82,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I can show you where to get a job in the state of Texas, with no college and no training and start at $10 an hour. In other words all you have to do is go get the job and keep it. No that isn't even in the oil fields. In the oil fields you can start at about 70K a year. That's START at.. So go ahead and disparage all you want. Fact is, you don't have a clue.
same thing here in south dakota. The only unemployed here have massive beards or gang tattoos on there faces. You can get a job here with no experience and even a criminal record easy an be making 30k a year with just a ged, and housing is super cheap.

Some people say its boring, but hey, all I have is a ged and long rap sheet, back where I'm from I applied for 80 jobs and got one interview. Here i walked in and told them i was available immediatly and got hired on the spot. I have 2k disposable income at the end of every month and minneapolis is only a 3 hour drive.

Sense the recession really the only good places in this country left imo are the least popular and fun places to be, with the exception of texas. Both coasts are a shell of there former self and most of the south is too with the exception of texas. The less populated parts of the northen plains is where the getting is good right now.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM

58 posts, read 82,251 times
I wouldn't be suprised if many of them have jobs. I lived at a homeless shelter for a month an almost half of the guys there had jobs and no drug habit. They just didn't have any family and most were new residents to the city using the free board there trying to save up enough money for rent.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,952,820 times
"Progressive" governments create an environment where ownership doesn't exist. It assumes control over everything, and then charges a fee to possess - otherwise known as taxes. This fee is applied to everything except yourself (until Obamacare, and now there's a fine for existing). This creates a certain dollar value to 'exist' inside this system. There's a minimum rent, a minimum cost to everything you need as an individual.

Settlers that moved out west wanted "land". Why? Because from it they could work self sufficiency. It required no "money" to retain your home, your food, what you produced. Today, a $21,000 home in East Hazel Crest IL ( just picked it at random from Redfin) can be purchased for about $240 / month for a high risk mortgage of 15 years.

The taxes, however, will cost you another $400 / month.

Those living in a tent city have made a choice that says they'll live in "non standard" housing ( outside the rules that regulate what housing MUST be ) in order to not subject themselves to the immense financial burden imposed on them. Many people think this decision should be illegal and you should not be able to do it. And thus, locally, they forbid it. Shanty towns exist globally except for where they're illegal. Why? To have your own space that's not financially infeasible.

And then they develop "programs" to take money from other people to help you pay that cost - but forces you into the planned system of behavior, where you work and everything you earn is taken from you by imposed costs. Some would call it slavery.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:10 PM

709 posts, read 1,495,632 times
Tent City is in its final death-throws...

I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep this thread updated. I hope you were able to follow all the news on the "Tent City of Lakewood, NJ" Facebook Page.

If by any chance anyone here happens to be in the communist cesspool of New Jersey...

Please join us at Tent City (or by the intersection of Cedar Bridge Ave and S Clover St in Lakewood) any time you can this week with signs for a Rally Against Injustice At Tent City!

We are protesting unconstitutional and inhumane anti-homeless laws, government waste and corruption, and the bulldozing of a much-needed charitable institution!

Bring a token donation (ideally bottled water) in case the police question you, as it has been legally established that supporters are NOT trespassing when they bring donations to Tent City.

Please make and bring your own protest signs. Try to have a camera to take photos and videos of the events. If you are really brave, bring a tent.

Monday's Tent City Photo Album - Bulldozer Bullies, Police Harassment, and the Rally Against Injustice At Tent City:

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-04-2014 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies