Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
As much as the aforementioned 49.9% currently pay, would be enough.

Then they don't get the benefit of being a U.S. citizen anymore.
So you are comfortable losing the tax revenue of the top 10% (who pay over 70% of all income tax revenue)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They don't remain US citizens anymore.
Geee...I am a citizen and I spend money in Honduras frequently.

I also own land there.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you are comfortable losing the tax revenue of the top 10% (who pay over 70% of all income tax revenue)?
No, I'm not. Where did you get "10%" from?

I said 0.1%

Making Gates, Koch, Buffett, Paulson, et al, pay 1995 tax rates isn't going to cause them to suddenly renounce their US citizenship. If they do , I'm not the slightest bit worried about the consequences. They need our market to sell their products.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not. Where did you get "10%" from?

I said 0.1%

Making Gates, Koch, Buffett, Paulson, et al, pay 1995 tax rates isn't going to cause them to suddenly renounce their US citizenship. If they do , I'm not the slightest bit worried about the consequences. They need our market to sell their products.
OK then. The top 0.1% have an effective tax rate of 23%, which is higher than the effective tax rate of middle class incomes (the effective rate of households making 67k/yr is 15%). Are you OK with losing the tax revenue of the top 0.1%, given they contribute such a large amount towards the income tax revenue in the United States?

And what about fairness? Do we just say throw that out the window? Do we just take as much as we can from anyone who is more successful than us? I never thought us middle-class people were nothing but leeches, trying to suck as much as we can from those who have more. But I guess I was wrong about that

Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
OK then. The top 0.1% have an effective tax rate of 23%, which is higher than the effective tax rate of middle class incomes (the effective rate of households making 67k/yr is 15%).
link?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM

74 posts, read 78,733 times
Default Federal Reserves Sends Trillions of Tax Dollars Overseas

I am outraged that we are allowing the Federal Reserve to squander trillions of our tax dollars to give to foreign banks and other none U. S. interests. The details about this unconscionable situaton can be found by reading excerpts from the following article by clicking on the following link:

Chuck Baldwin -- Raising The Debt; Lowering The Boom

"RAISING THE DEBT; LOWERING THE BOOM

By Chuck Baldwin
August 4, 2011
NewsWithViews.com"

Let's get rid of this evil insitution comprised of foreigners who have no business managing our financial affairs and sending our hard earned tax dollars overseas. I hope all of you will push for passage of Congressman's Ron Paul legislation that would rid of us our involvement with the Federal Reserve.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
Chuck Baldwin is certainly a wierdo case. He is a paranoid right wing extremist. I don't know anywhere in Scripture where the national debt and the Federal Reserve Bank is talked about. And who are these foreigners? It another code for saying Jews are not Americans and there is only room in this nation for right wing Christians.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
link?
Read This

To be exact, the effective rate of the top 0.1% was 22.7%. I rounded before...sorry for that.

The top 0.1% also pay 18.5% of ALL federal income tax revenue. You said you don't care if the top 0.1% leave this country...so are you really saying you don't care if we lose 18.5% of all income tax revenue?

PLEASE do some research (beyond reading CNN.com and MSNBC.com) before making false claims!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Read This

To be exact, the effective rate of the top 0.1% was 22.7%. I rounded before...sorry for that.

The top 0.1% also pay 18.5% of ALL federal income tax revenue. You said you don't care if the top 0.1% leave this country...so are you really saying you don't care if we lose 18.5% of all income tax revenue?

PLEASE do some research (beyond reading CNN.com and MSNBC.com) before making false claims!
this only includes income taxes, not all federal taxes.

furthermore, you assume I am talking about high earners. I'm not. Using AGI to measure who is in the top 0.1% makes no sense in the first place; by using AGI you're capturing the high earners, not the wealthy.

Last edited by le roi; 08-04-2011 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
yup, and the next 49.9% pay too much, while the top 0.1% don't pay enough.

I pay a higher tax rate than the average of the top 400 taxpayers, who control an obscene amount of wealth. I also pay more than most corporations do.

I assume you wouldn't be so hypocritical as to be in that bottom 50%, so you probably pay more than the people I just mentioned, as well.
The laws that allow corporations to get away with the loop holes are the problem.

These laws were created by the very same politicians to whom you want to give more power (money, revenue, etc.).

Thank you for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies