Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 958,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Rush overstates the case by a large margin.

The prosperity created by the misallocation of capital to housing was only temporary and it hurt our long-run growth. The surplus two million homes, and the trillions of superfluous square feet of housing we built, represent capital that should have been invested in better ways. Our long-term productive capacity would be higher now, if not for the misguided policies supporting the housing boom. This is being unwound, painfully, but it will be unwound.

The internet bubble was merely another in a long string of investment fads that are driven by human nature: it probably started with cavemen trading woolly mammoth tusks, and there will be another fad that goes too far in the next decade, and the one after that, and the one after that. We always get past these things.

The debt thing, yes we have debt. But household net wealth is over $50 trillion, after deducting debt. We're paying down our personal debt and being a lot more careful with new debt. Some people are screwed, but some people are always screwed. As for government debt, the problem could be worked off slowly over time IF we get after the kind of pro-growth tax reform envisioned by Simpson Bowles AND stop the anti-productivity and wealth destruction campaign being fashioned by the Obama administration. If we seek to emulate Europe in terms of regulation and social welfare and taxes, we will end up with European-style economic sclerosis. The twin notions that wealth arises only from greed or luck, and profits are bad, are very bad indicators for a return to productive economic policies. So getting government debt to a manageable proportion of GDP hangs in the political balance: Obama's policies and the progressive movement can NOT get it done. If we kill the golden goose, the goose is cooked.

So Rush's declaration boils down to a loss of faith in the notion that the progressive tide can be turned back. I am less pessimistic, but a lot of work needs to be done. And progressives are not the only aspect of the problem with government. Crony capitalism and corruption run through the players and history of both major parties. Criticism of the progressive movement is not intended to be a ratification of failed Republican policies or corruption or past lack of integrity, or an endorsement of any challenger to Obama.
One of the most perceptive and intelligent posts I've seen on any forum! Good analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I read the link and it's exactly what prompted my first response, which is that he's completley full of it since he leaves Reagan out of the whole debt fiasco.

He's a fake, phony, and a fraud who's gotten rich off of stupid people.
Agree in a sense. The incessant borrowing started in the 80's. Congress was still heavily leaning left which is also a factor.

Say what you want about how he's gotten rich. He didn't ask me for a handout. He didn't do it illegally.

If he is a fake and phony, he would not have lasted as long as he has as the #1 show. He called the whole Gitmo situation - that Obama wouldn't close it - over a year in advance.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Just his flashbacks kicking in, nothing to see there folks, as usual.
Casper

Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Was everything fake?
Just about everything about America is fake; fake freedoms, fake morals, fake religions, fake reasons to go to war, fake civil liberties, fake unity, fake politicians, fake media, fake values, fake investigations, and populated by millions of fake people.
Americans do their best to stamp out anything that is genuine.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 AM

898 posts, read 827,619 times
Ah, the thoughtful, tolerant left is on full display again.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Just about everything about America is fake; fake freedoms, fake morals, fake religions, fake reasons to go to war, fake civil liberties, fake unity, fake politicians, fake media, fake values, fake investigations, and populated by millions of fake people.
Americans do their best to stamp out anything that is genuine.
Including the Constitution.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
Ah, the thoughtful, tolerant left is on full display again.
And you display the thoughtful tolerant right on a daily basis, your point is?
Casper

Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,640 times
Quote:
As usual the fat pill popper leaves Reagan out of the whole debt fiasco...

....an absurd but expected level of dishonesty.
this

Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
The vitriol you and Rush's worhippers have for obama is downright nutty and bordering on unhinged. One only need look at how 99% of you sat by while Bush started wars but didn't pay for them while cutting taxes...fiscal conservatives.
I don't hate obama. I think he's a man-child in way over his head, but I'm not usually throwing personal attacks at the guy.

Having said that, what wars did Bush start that you disagree with? Should we have not gone into Afghanistan?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
I actually listened to this comment Rush made on live radio and I was kinda stunned. In fact for the first time Rush explained why and how he came to this idea. In fact missing from the article Rush talks about how older people like his Grandfather were warning him about debt. How the "cost of living" and proposerty has been build on falsehoods. Where people are living well but also living in debt and government spending and debt gives the illusion that everything is ok because the money was being printed. For the first time Rush sounded like and started to think like Ron Paul and that is why people we so shocked and his producer of the show didn't know why Rush was talking this way.

I believe its the same thing that got Beck of Fox News.

Anyway back to the story I believe Rush for a long time didn't fully understand the goverment between liberal spending and republican spending has destroyed the country and for a while just thought it would resolve itself. It's money we own to ourselves Rush said and then realized none of the money is real only the sweat and labor of the working man.

Ron Paul 2012

Keep it up Rush there is hope for you yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies