Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,558,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
There is room for a party of the center, but alas, that will not happen with the way money is raised today.
It's not just a money problem, but a primary problem...since the only people who vote in primaries are the pissed off base of the party, candidates who stay in the center don't stand a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'd certainly agree that Christie is unafraid to tell people off no matter what side of thye aisle they come from. A Christie/Rubio or Rubio/Christie ticket would be a formidable one.
But all the moderate Democrats here would never shut up about Chrisite's weight. Making them just as bad as the right-wingers the OP finds so objectionable.

Moral? People who live in grass houses shouldn't smoke hash.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
But all the moderate Democrats here would never shut up about Chrisite's weight. Making them just as bad as the right-wingers the OP finds so objectionable.

Moral? People who live in grass houses shouldn't smoke hash.
Of course we would harp on his weight non-stop. What fun would it be to have a fat president if we couldn't make fun of him 24/7? Especially if he's as divisize as Christie would prove to be?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Of course we would harp on his weight non-stop. What fun would it be to have a fat president if we couldn't make fun of him 24/7? Especially if he's as divisize as Christie would prove to be?
Well Obama is scrawny, so it might be a good balance. Clinton was a porker, and noone seemed to care.

I think I agree, Christy can demogogue with the best of them ,but he does seem to thin for himself.

I don't think Rubio would be a good partner. Both have huge egos and would likely argue all the time. And Rubio in the White House is pretty scary for most Americans. Too militant right wing.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
When you spend like a drunken sailor in a brothel, you think you're the Salvation Army and you're a globalist wanting to rule the world, you can't seriously be taken as Conservative. You would be the RINO in the room.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Your use of the subjunctive is telling. Pygmalion much?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:17 AM

1,019 posts, read 589,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
As a moderate/liberal I hate listening to talk radio, Fox, MSNBC, the WSJ and most of all The Nation. I just hate it when the authors assume they know how I should think. I really listen to and often admire moderate republicans (people who pull their own weight and are fiscally canny). I frequently read the Economist, Bloomberg, Forbes, which I often disagree with, but learn from.

What I have had a hard time with lately is the explosion of people who seem to have drank some potion brewed by Rush Limbaugh and Grover Norquist that government is always bad, industry is always good, tax cuts are always good, not amount of revenue is possible, because no amount of support to anything nonmilitary is acceptable. This is all pure fantasy, (it is Limbaughs product, Norquist should know better) yet a good number of new republicans ascribe to it. There is not the slightest chance that Americans will dissemble their government and cut taxes to zero, nor is there a single example in the world where Limbaugh's ideas have worked. It is simply a cult of personality.

Give me an some examples of Rebublicans who think for themselves and can move beyond shouting and actually govern! To prime the pump, tell me about Chris Christy, Ron Paul, Tom Coburn, and whoever else.
Same place the Independent Democrats are - in your imagination. What you have proposed is, by fefinition, an oxymoron, with, for Democrats, special emphasis on the "moron" part.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 589,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
When you find one speaking their mind they are always labeled as RINOS, most have learned this the hard way. Sad because they are the only right leaners that are capable of actual discussion on the issues.
Casper
Another string of words devoid of content. Thanks Casper

Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
How would an Independent be either Republican or Democrat?

I'm registered Independent. I generally vote Libertarian. I will usually vote Republican over Democrat if no Libertarian is available (or if I just don't like that particular Libertarian).

Honestly I don't like any of them but for some reason there never seem to be any Anarchists running for office. Odd.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
If you really listened to talk radio then you would know some of your statements are false. Conservatives don't think government is always bad and industry is always good. What most conservatives advocate is limiting the federal government to those duties and responsibilities as defined in the US Constitution and if they wish to take on more duties and responsibilities then amend the constitution. The bloated federal government and its regulating agencies create more and more laws disguised as regulation, laws enacted by people not elected to represent the citizens of this country. I say they are laws because many of these regulations can result in penalty through courts and prison. We know some private corporations are bad and if they break federal or state laws then punish them to the fullest extent of the law. Use the "laws" already on the books, don't create regulations or more laws to cover the ones state and federal officials refuse to enforce, like illegal immigration for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
As a moderate/liberal I hate listening to talk radio, Fox, MSNBC, the WSJ and most of all The Nation. I just hate it when the authors assume they know how I should think. I really listen to and often admire moderate republicans (people who pull their own weight and are fiscally canny). I frequently read the Economist, Bloomberg, Forbes, which I often disagree with, but learn from.

What I have had a hard time with lately is the explosion of people who seem to have drank some potion brewed by Rush Limbaugh and Grover Norquist that government is always bad, industry is always good, tax cuts are always good, not amount of revenue is possible, because no amount of support to anything nonmilitary is acceptable. This is all pure fantasy, (it is Limbaughs product, Norquist should know better) yet a good number of new republicans ascribe to it. There is not the slightest chance that Americans will dissemble their government and cut taxes to zero, nor is there a single example in the world where Limbaugh's ideas have worked. It is simply a cult of personality.

Give me an some examples of Rebublicans who think for themselves and can move beyond shouting and actually govern! To prime the pump, tell me about Chris Christy, Ron Paul, Tom Coburn, and whoever else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies