Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
How many times do I have to explain this to you? I don't care about teen pregnancy. I care about welfare. I only brought up out of wedlock birth rates because they are correlated.

Stop posting stats that have nothing to do with my point.

I do not care whether or not they are teens. Are you confusing me with someone else? Or did you just pull that out of nowhere? How many times do I have to say it?

And yeah, there it goes, 40%. Thank you. That was my assertion. I never said a word about age ranges.

No **** sherlock. You think policy doesn't have an effect on culture?

I always had $5 or $10 in my pocket. Every broke ghetto kid I know will at least have a couple bucks in his pocket on any given day. It's just not that much money.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db18.htm

Here are some stats on unwed births. Chew on this.

•Birth rates have risen considerably for unmarried women in their twenties and over, while declining or changing little for unmarried teenagers.
•Most births to teenagers (86% in 2007) are nonmarital, but 60% of births to women 20–24 and nearly one-third of births to women 25–29 were nonmarital in 2007.
•Teenagers accounted for just 23% of nonmarital births in 2007, down steeply from 50% in 1970.

How many ghetto kids do you know? My daughters rarely carried much cash in high school. In fact, I work in a dr's office, and many of our patients don't seem to have cash, credit card, etc, when they come to see the dr. These are grown adults who are mostly middle class or wealthier.

As for policy influencing culture, I think it's at best a chicken and egg situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Even though the two of you have different opinions here, I think these posts are both excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
So basically, if someone doesn't want to pay for something, they're violating the rights of others, and restricting what those people do in their bedrooms?
That seems to be what some people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
"WE?" I thought you were only sixteen. Are you already a tax payer?
I was thinking that myself but didn't want to give her a hard time.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
What about YOU? So you don't believe in birth control....ever? Then don't have sex if you don't want to have a baby or have sex when you do (I'm pretty sure there are a few Duggar boys who might be interested in meeting you).

But it's not up to you (or others who "believe" as you do) to decide how other people conduct themselves in their bedrooms.

And I would certainly think that making sure that birth control is cheap (or free) would be a great alternative for those of you who don't think a woman has a right to decide what to do with her own body (abortion).
If we have to pay for it then YES, we are now indirectly involved and have to pay for their decisions..good or bad.

It was $9/month before..$35/month without subsidies..cheaper than a cellphone monthly plan. It didn't seem to matter and "free" won't matter either although nothing is FREE because someone is paying for it whether they want to or not.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
Quote:
"WE?" I thought you were only sixteen. Are you already a tax payer?
I have a job, so I pay income tax. But I use we meaning Americans in general. I'm almost 17, so about this time next year I'll be paying taxes so I think I have a right to be conserned as to where my money will go. A lot of people my age don't pay atention, and when they turn 18 the reality of taxes will hit them like a ton of bricks. I don't want to be one of those people, so I prepare myself and pay atention.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db18.htm

Here are some stats on unwed births. Chew on this.

•Birth rates have risen considerably for unmarried women in their twenties and over, while declining or changing little for unmarried teenagers.
•Most births to teenagers (86% in 2007) are nonmarital, but 60% of births to women 20–24 and nearly one-third of births to women 25–29 were nonmarital in 2007.
•Teenagers accounted for just 23% of nonmarital births in 2007, down steeply from 50% in 1970.
Why are you still doing this? Why are you posting teenage birth rates? Why??? The out of wedlock birth rate has exploded. I posted stats on this. But really, that's irrelevant, rates of moms who can't take care of kids having kids has exploded. This is evidenced by a quick glance at any graph of welfare spending. Why are you still talking about age ranges if not just to complicate things?

Quote:
How many ghetto kids do you know?
Hundreds. Nobody walks around flat broke. You don't want to get stranded.

And really, it doesn't matter, because they can get money if they need it. It's one thing to say I should pay for people because they're broke, it's quite another to say I should pay for them simply because they don't feel like carrying their money with them but they might want to have some sex.

Quote:
My daughters rarely carried much cash in high school. In fact, I work in a dr's office, and many of our patients don't seem to have cash, credit card, etc, when they come to see the dr. These are grown adults who are mostly middle class or wealthier.
And since people just don't feel like carrying cash in their pocket, we have to pay for their birth control? Do these people you speak of have $9 a month? Do they have a couple dollars in the house somewhere?

Quote:
As for policy influencing culture, I think it's at best a chicken and egg situation.
They both influence each other, granted, but it's not as if policy doesn't influence culture.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
What about YOU? So you don't believe in birth control....ever? Then don't have sex if you don't want to have a baby or have sex when you do (I'm pretty sure there are a few Duggar boys who might be interested in meeting you).

But it's not up to you (or others who "believe" as you do) to decide how other people conduct themselves in their bedrooms.

And I would certainly think that making sure that birth control is cheap (or free) would be a great alternative for those of you who don't think a woman has a right to decide what to do with her own body (abortion).
No I don't believe in birth control, unless it is medically necessary for something like hormone regulation. I would definetly be intrested in meeting a few Duggar boys. lol. You're exactly right about it not being up to me, so why should I, or anybody else, have to pay to keep the girl from getting pregnant? Reguarding your last point; don't go there with the "her own body" thing, because then I'll have to go there, and if I have to go there, you'll wish you hadn't.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
You don't want a baby, don't have sex. You get pregnate, take care of the baby. It's call takeing responsibilty for your actions. It's really not that difficult.
if you want to be taken seriously, the word is pregnant.

for someone who wants to advocate abstinence only education (which doesn't work), it would be wise to actually know how to spell the words involved.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Cut the sarcasm. You think my stats are irrelevant b/c they show something you don't like; ie, there was more teen pregnancy in the 1950s. I acknowledge that many of these teens got married before delivery; this was the culture of the time. I am old enough to remember many a "shotgun wedding". That's not how it's done any more.
Yup. Our own President is the child of a young teenage mother who got pregnant before getting married. And probably got married because she was pregnant.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
if you want to be taken seriously, the word is pregnant.

for someone who wants to advocate abstinence only education (which doesn't work), it would be wise to actually know how to spell the words involved.
If you would actualy go back and read my posts, I explained this. I have dyslexia! You don't have anything to do but correct a dyslexics spelling?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
If you would actualy go back and read my posts, I explained this. I have dyslexia! You don't have anything to do but correct a dyslexics spelling?
Actually, though Arus should have read further before posting, dyslexia does not explain spelling "pregnant" as "pregnate". Assuming that your browser shows your misspellings with the red squiggly underline, you could have checked the options and corrected prior to posting. "Pregnate", when right-clicked, gives the options of "impregnate" and "pregnant".

Just FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies