Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 12:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Finally someone who agrees with me. Minus the first part, I totally agree.
I simply do not believe that people should have children they would have starve to death unless the taxpayers are forced to provide for them.

Birth control pills are NOT a reliable form of birth control because obviously there are more welfare babies today than there were before the birth control pill came out.

In many places now, more children are born into welfare programs, more to Medicaid and foodstamps than are born to parents who can support them. Dead beat fathers and welfare queens should not go on breeding like stray dogs and cats.

I don't believe in forced sterilization, but it should be required for those who want to go on receiving welfare handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I simply do not believe that people should have children they would have starve to death unless the taxpayers are forced to provide for them.

Birth control pills are NOT a reliable form of birth control because obviously there are more welfare babies today than there were before the birth control pill came out.

In many places now, more children are born into welfare programs, more to Medicaid and foodstamps than are born to parents who can support them. Dead beat fathers and welfare queens should not go on breeding like stray dogs and cats.

I don't believe in forced sterilization, but it should be required for those who want to go on receiving welfare handouts.
Again, don't agree with sterilization, but love everything else you are saying. No they are not a reliable form of birth conrtol, and the fact that the birth rate is up since the BCP came out is proof of that.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:

In many places now, more children are born into welfare programs, more to Medicaid and foodstamps than are born to parents who can support them. Dead beat fathers and welfare queens should not go on breeding like stray dogs and cats.I don't believe in forced sterilization, but it should be required for those who want to go on receiving welfare handouts.
I totally agree, if they have two kids and want welfare, mom and dad should both have to agree to sterilization to collect benefits. At the very least, the woman should be required to use Norplant or get an IUD. They could have them removed after they have proven themselves capable of supporting themselves and their children on their own. {For at least two years for example.} If they want more than two children, that should provide the motivation for them to learn personal responsibility..... to learn how to get up every day, go to work and earn a paycheck.

However, I don't agree with the statement that birth control pills aren't effective.

Many teens think having a baby is the be all and end all. They have babies on purpose.....someone who will love them and make them feel important.....they think.

Also, many girls {and boys, for that matter} who are brought up in welfare families think having a baby and going on welfare is the normal thing to do.

Another reason, men who bail on their children.

Almost all of the reasons someone ends up on welfare can be blamed on one thing........ irresponsibility......not BC pill failure.

The BC pill is one of the most effective forms of contraception available when used correctly...... and that is a FACT. Certainly way more effective than NFP.

And.....I would like to point out.....NFP IS a form of birth control.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Yes, that should be required of all those getting government handouts.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I totally agree, if they have two kids and want welfare, mom and dad should both have to agree to sterilization to collect benefits. At the very least, the woman should be required to use Norplant or get an IUD. They could have them removed after they have proven themselves capable of supporting themselves and their children on their own. {For at least two years for example.} If they want more than two children, that should provide the motivation for them to learn personal responsibility..... to learn how to get up every day, go to work and earn a paycheck.

However, I don't agree with the statement that birth control pills aren't effective.

Many teens think having a baby is the be all and end all. They have babies on purpose.....someone who will love them and make them feel important.....they think.

Also, many girls {and boys, for that matter} who are brought up in welfare families think having a baby and going on welfare is the normal thing to do.

Another reason, men who bail on their children.

Almost all of the reasons someone ends up on welfare can be blamed on one thing........ irresponsibility......not BC pill failure.

The BC pill is one of the most effective forms of contraception available when used correctly...... and that is a FACT. Certainly way more effective than NFP.

And.....I would like to point out.....NFP IS a form of birth control.
All three of these taken together:

This thread is not about medicaid or other government programs.

It is not solely about teens using birth control; it is about birth control for all insured women of childbearing age.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
^^^It is the topic of the thread! If someone wants to b**** about teen welfare moms, YET AGAIN, they should start another thread.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Again, don't agree with sterilization, but love everything else you are saying. No they are not a reliable form of birth conrtol, and the fact that the birth rate is up since the BCP came out is proof of that.
That's incorrect; the birth rate is not up, as you can see in the chart below. The birth control pill was approved in 1960, as I recall, and was available shortly thereafter. See what happened around that time period?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That's incorrect; the birth rate is not up, as you can see in the chart below. The birth control pill was approved in 1960, as I recall, and was available shortly thereafter. See what happened around that time period?
That would be an incorrect conclusion.

Your birth rate declined not because of the Pill, but rather because of growing affluence.

What was special about the year 1961?

That was the year in which 50% of Americans lived in urban areas, and 50% lived in rural areas. What percentage of Americans live in rural areas now?

According to the 2000 Census, only 20% live in rural areas.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
The point, however, is, that for whatever reason, the birth rate now is much less than what it historically has been. So, essentially this entire thread is a conservative talking point. And don't conservatives love their talking points. However, given the perception that most conservatives have that we are up to our eyeballs in indigent babies, why are they never in favor of sterilization? Birth control pills are junk. Forty year old technology for something as important as family planning? Condoms are what...3,000 year old technology... ... Doesn't humanity deserve better in the millennium?? Most of you don't think so. That is the problem.

H

Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,364 times
All types of birth control including abortions should be free to women.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That would be an incorrect conclusion.

Your birth rate declined not because of the Pill, but rather because of growing affluence.

What was special about the year 1961?

That was the year in which 50% of Americans lived in urban areas, and 50% lived in rural areas. What percentage of Americans live in rural areas now?

According to the 2000 Census, only 20% live in rural areas.
So you are trying to tell us that widespread availability of easy contraception had no bearing on birth rates?

Go on, pull the other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies