Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
You know, that I'm a know it all just from a few posts? Don't you think that comment is just a tad immature? Whatever.
You think you know more than all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You think you know more than all of us.
When have I ever said that? You don't even know me, or how I think. All you know is what I've said. Whatever. I think that no matter what I say, you opinion of me is set (as I have already said).

Old 12-19-2011, 06:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
When have I ever said that? You don't even know me, or how I think. All you know is what I've said. Whatever. I think that no matter what I say, you opinion of me is set (as I have already said).
Your subtext is clear. And we have all experienced the teen years already.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Your subtext is clear. And we have all experienced the teen years already.
I don't think that I know everything, I know I have a lot to learn. Yes that is true, but, again, not in this era.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
I don't think that I know everything, I know I have a lot to learn. Yes that is true, but, again, not in this era.
Could have fooled us.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Funny how you assume you know my age.

Keep in mind, the era is important, but it is not the entirety of the experience. The attitudes of the teen (and the adult reactions to the upcoming generations) are quite similar over the generations - read Plato if you don't believe me.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Could have fooled us.
Just because I'm set in my religious beliefs, and they effect my opinion on BCP, doesn't mean that I'm not willing to learn, I'm just not willing to hear from people who are against me just because I don't have the same opinions as them.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I agree, but the 16 year old isn't the only poster who thinks BC pills don't work.....despite the evidence.
Which birth control pill are you talking about? I hope you aren't talking about "the patch" because that doesn't work very well, and if a woman gets pregnant, the child will likely suffer birth defects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now, really! Correlation does not equal causation! The pill was introduced in the US in 1960. Birth rates immediately dropped, rapidly. The "baby boom" ended in 1964. And you want to attribute this to urbanization?
Not urbanization, affluence. There's a slight difference. Urbanization is a product of Industrialization, and you did not fully complete Industrialization until the early to mid-1960s.

You might notice that your GDP grew at a large pace, right up the point you completed Industrialization, and since then, it has averaged 2.89% annually over the last 50 years (which is what you'd expect from a post-Industrialized nation -- too bad your Social Security Administration is to stupid to get it).

Because of affluence, your birth rate would have decreased with or without the introduction of the Pill. You need only look at countries where birth control is not or was not available to see a decline in birth rate when affluence is achieved, once they completed Industrialization.

That's why the Population idiots are wrong. They erroneously believe that those countries with high birth rates will continue to have high birth rates in the future. As those countries industrialize, and they will industrialize faster if the evil satanic US government would stop oppressing people and quit interfering in the political, economic and social development of countries, their birth rates will decline. Fortunately for the world (but unfortunately for you), BRIC is doing what the US should have been doing over the last 70 years and helping countries modernize and industrialize (at your expense).

In any event, the Boom did not end in 1964, and only a fool relies on Pukipedia.

The Boom techinically ended in 1958, but most consider those born through 1960 to be Baby Boomers.

Officially, those born between 1960 and 1964 are called "Tweeners" by sociologists and psychologists, who have done more than a sufficient number of studies to support their claims that people born in 1962 are not Baby Boomers -- far from it -- those people have radically different views than Boomer or Generation Me (starting in 1954).

If you study the data, your birth rate peaked at 25 points from 1952-1957 and then dropped to 24 points in 1958 and dropped 1 point per year thereafter.

In order for your claim to hold true, there would have to be a significant drop, but there wasn't. You don't seem to understand that the introduction of the Pill did not result in the Pill falling out of the sky on everyone.

Many women were opposed to the Pill, for any number of reasons (mostly religious), and many others did not have "access" to it for a variety of reasons.

Remember, it was the Pill, not fluoridated water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here's the answer to your question, from the link in post #4:

Research has shown that even modest copays for medical care can discourage use.
No doubt, but that's simple economics.

When the US military levied a $10 copay for all military dependents, my troops could actually get in to see a doctor in less than an hour. Medical care was previously free to all dependents, and that little $10 copay just cleared out the medical facilities and reduced waiting times for military members.

So what is $9? A 3-day supply of mascara and lipstick?

The Hard-Choice Zone:

NetFlix or Birth Control
NetFlix or Birth Control
NetFlix or Birth Control

I guess some people are just saddled with difficult decisions in life.

Maybe I should start a game show. Bring on stupid Americans and have then make, um, "tough" economic decisions:

Okay, Emily, Hard Choice ahead, cable bundled with premium channels, internet and cell-phone or "health insurance?"

Emily you can use your "Call a Friend" option or have the audience help you if you're stuck.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Which birth control pill are you talking about? I hope you aren't talking about "the patch" because that doesn't work very well, and if a woman gets pregnant, the child will likely suffer birth defects.
I am talking about THE PILL.....not the patch....not Norplant.....THE PILL.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Funny how you assume you know my age.

Keep in mind, the era is important, but it is not the entirety of the experience. The attitudes of the teen (and the adult reactions to the upcoming generations) are quite similar over the generations - read Plato if you don't believe me.
You said "we", what am I supposed to assume? Unlike some people on this thread, I am not a conspiracy theorist who thinks that not everyone is who they say they are. I have read some Plato, believe it or not. But the attitudes of todays average teen, is nothing like the attitudes of teens in the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies