Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,017,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I was too busy staring at the chicks in the advertisements that this link provided to waste my time reading about the ghettoes of Detroit and New Orleans. We already know that all the other places on the list are third world outlaw dumps.

As far as why Detroit and NO's are on the list, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
When they are oppressed they have nowhere to go but down into the pits of hell on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Blacks account for 12.6% of our nation's population, and 50% of its homicide victims. I'd say that would indicate that violent crime is most certainly limited to certain areas with a predominantly black population.

I recall reading an article that laid out the homicide rate by race.

Asians = 1.6 per 100k
Whites = 3.3 per 100k
Blacks = 22 per 100k

Everywhere I've lived in the U.S (all California) is probably just as safe as your average European city.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
I think we have aways to go before you can compare a US city to a place like Rio de Janerio or Sao Paulo the Brazilian government has military style police units and conducts search and destroy missions in faveolas. Also their are a huge number of helicopters buzzing around Sao Paulo, most are used by senior executives and the wealthy so they can safely go from their suburban villas to their offices in the skyscrapers of downtown. Kidnapping is a real problem for wealthy of Brazil.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
So happy to live where I do.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I think we have aways to go before you can compare a US city to a place like Rio de Janerio or Sao Paulo the Brazilian government has military style police units and conducts search and destroy missions in faveolas. Also their are a huge number of helicopters buzzing around Sao Paulo, most are used by senior executives and the wealthy so they can safely go from their suburban villas to their offices in the skyscrapers of downtown. Kidnapping is a real problem for wealthy of Brazil.
What the hell are you talking about? Rio de Janerio had a murder rate of 15 per 100K in 2009. Let me remind you that New Orleans has a homicide rate of 95 per 100K. America has the WIDEST income inequality gap in the developed world. If you don't recall, America wasn't exactly in a rush to clean up New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and much of the city is still in complete ruin. But this level of blight, poverty and civic neglect is completely acceptable in America. It exists in Baltimore, Cleveland, Philadelphia and in the forgotten corners of every major city in America. At least Brazil has MUCH prettier women than Baltimore. This is coming from a Maryland resident! This is because Brazil, and most Latin American countries, aren't an eighth as ghettoized and completely segregated as America where hundreds of thousands of descendants of African American slaves are hoarded into blighted decrepit areas full of liquor stores, hard drugs like Heroin, poor schools, lead paint and flooded with guns. Detroit has to be one of the most racially segregated places on the planet. Most people are mixed in Latin American countries because they got over racial tensions centuries ago unlike the United States of segregation that absolutely refuses to let go of its racist past. And as far as military presence interfering with the lives of citizens? In the 80's, U.S. military tanks were busting down the front doors of houses in Los Angeles. Americans aren't being honest with themselves. Helicopters buzzing? In the hood in America that's called a "ghetto bird" and they stick to the hood like flies on sh*t. I have read ZERO evidence on this thread to back up the claim that American inner cities are somehow magically "better" and less dangerous than most places the Third World. I chalk it up to prideful all-American ignorance and the "great" public education system in this country.

Brazil: Rio de Janeiro has the lowest homicide rate since 1991

Plutocracy Reborn: U.S. Wealth Inequality Gap Largest since 1928 – EcoLocalizer

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-05-2011 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? Rio de Janerio had a murder rate of 15 per 100K in 2009. Let me remind you that New Orleans homicide rate is 95 per 100K. America has the WIDEST income inequality gap in the developed world. At least Brazil has MUCH prettier women than Baltimore. This is coming from a Maryland resident. In the 80's, military tanks were busting down the front doors of houses in Los Angeles. Americans aren't being honest with themselves. I have read ZERO evidence on this thread to back up the claim that American inner cities are somehow magically "better" than most places the Third World. I chalk it up to the American education system.

Brazil: Rio de Janeiro has the lowest homicide rate since 1991

Plutocracy Reborn: U.S. Wealth Inequality Gap Largest since 1928 – EcoLocalizer

In places like Brazil or Nigeria or Pakistan the police don't keep very accurate records of what they do. Would you want to keep a paper trail for all the corrupt nasty things you do? Lets be logical here, and don't expect the press to get involved no one has a problem with a dead journalist. Police have ways of getting their displeasure across. Now I am not picking on Brazil, Nigeria or Pakistan and I have personnel experience with life in a third world nation like Nigeria, I lived in Ibadan for three years, I have also lived in Cocabomba Bolivia and Tegucigalpa Honduras.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Why do you think American inner cities are so much more violent than most places in America and countless other poorer places in the world?
Honestly? Guns. America is the gun capital of the world. Regardless of your politics, the truth is they make it out onto the street and get used by people who shouldn't have them.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,480 times
Quote:
I think it is partly because of the overabundance of liquor stores in American inner cities. Most of the world lives on a few dollars a day. In remote impoverished places in Africa, the Middle East and Asia, hard alcohol for a few dollars is not available at every vendor on every corner like American ghettos. Liquor stores make up most of the businesses in American ghettos from DC to Oakland. It is no secret that alcohol fuels violent crime rates. It is estimated that over 50% of all violent crimes involve alcoholic intoxication.

Alcohol Fuels Violence (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gallery/photostories/violence/violence14.DTL - broken link)

West Oakland: 53 liquor stores, 0 grocery stores, detour commuters, & street art activism : Indybay

Why so many liquor stores? - SFGate

Cohesively, America leads the world in gun violence. Why? Maybe because there are nearly 90 guns for every 100 people in America. There is no where in America where it is easier to get a gun than in the ghetto:
A few things:

1) A lot of the murders in the ghetto are tied to gangs, drug dealing, and beefs between individuals. Not saying that alcohol doesn't play any role, but someone is more likely to be killed over what set they claim, which corner their selling on, or over a girl than a drunken argument.

Fist fights on the other hand...

2) Alcohol is pretty readily available in Third World countries. It's cheaper (at least in absolute terms) and a lot of people brew or distill their own.

3) It sounds like an NRA talking point, but it is people who kill people, not guns. Maybe the fact that the ghetto has a violent culture has a lot more to do with a high murder rate than booze or guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAguy View Post
Only 2 American cities made it onto that list. So saying the American inner city is more dangerous than in the third world is a bit of an exaggeration.
It's a slight exaggeration, but there is a lot of truth to it. In every American city, there are always a few neighborhoods where most of the violent crime takes place and technically speaking, those neighborhoods are more dangerous than your average Third World city. Although to be fair, those cities often have their own neighborhoods that are disproportionately violent. The worst neighborhood in Sao Paulo is probably a lot worse than the worst neighborhood in Camden, New Jersey.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times
Detroit! Represent!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,197 times
its not the black community. its the inner city black community.

im half black, and dont want to be associated or lumped in with these groups since im part black.

i have nothing in common with an inner city black or white for that matter.

ive lived in the suburbs, attended highly rated public schools, and have two parents.

i should not be thrown in a stereotype just because im non white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies