Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times

Advertisements

As Americans, we have always been taught that we somehow have it better than everyone else in the world and that this will never change. This is true to a certain extent. Even the poorest of the poor in America qualify for food stamps and low-income housing. Some of the historically most dangerous ghetto neighborhoods in North America in recent decades in places like Compton and East Palo Alto look quiet, well-kept and middle class with single family homes, two car garages, large freshly cut front lawns, palm trees and long driveways.

However, although other places in the world are no doubt poorer than American ghettos, our cities have some of the highest violent crime rates in the world. Detroit and New Orleans rank in the top ten most dangerous cities in the world list. New Orleans has a murder rate of 95 per 100,000 residents. This is a higher murder rate than Baghdad which has the much smaller murder rate of 48 per 100K residents.

10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World in 2010 !!!

And it is not just the infamous ghetto American cities like New Orleans, Baltimore and Oakland either. Almost every major city in America has certain areas that are much more violent than the national average. A little known fact is that San Francisco has a higher murder rate for Blacks than the much more notorious Oakland next door. Oakland is consistently in the top ten highest homicide rate cities as well. Although Blacks collectively make up less than 10% of SF's population, they account for over 60% of SF's total homicides consistently every year.

San Francisco is more deadly for African Americans

This argument is not meant to be racist because minorities in American inner cities are no doubt disenfranchised and denied many opportunities to fully live the American dream. Why do you think American inner cities are so much more violent than most places in America and countless other poorer places in the world? I have my own thoughts on the matter and will share them later.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:41 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
I don't know, but the solution is definitely to throw more money at them.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
As Americans, we have always been taught that we somehow have it better than everyone else in the world and that this will never change. This is true to a certain extent. Even the poorest of the poor in America qualify for food stamps and low-income housing.

However, although other places in the world are no doubt poorer than American ghettos, our cities have some of the most violent crime rates in the world. Detroit and New Orleans rank in the top ten most dangerous cities in the world list. New Orleans has a murder rate of 98 per 100,000 residents. This is a higher murder rate than Baghdad which has the much smaller murder rate of 48 per 100K residents.

10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World in 2010 !!!

And it is not just the infamous ghetto American cities like New Orleans, Baltimore and Oakland either. Almost every major city in America has certain areas that are much more violent than the national average. A little known fact is that San Francisco has a higher murder rate for Blacks than the much more notorious Oakland next door. Oakland is consistently in the top ten highest homicide rate cities as well. Although Blacks collectively make up less than 10% of SF's population, they account for over 60% of SF's total homicides consistently every year.

San Francisco is more deadly for African Americans

This argument is not meant to be racist because minorities in American inner cities are no doubt disenfranchised and denied many opportunities to fully live the American dream. Why do you think American inner cities are so much more violent than most places in America and countless other poorer places in the world? I have my own thoughts on the matter and will share them later.

I'd have to say it's a "cultural thing" just as honor killings are part of the culture in Islamic societies. American inner cities have evolved their own kind of culture over many generations and it is very different from life in an affluent suburb.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Blacks account for 12.6% of our nation's population, and 50% of its homicide victims. I'd say that would indicate that violent crime is most certainly limited to certain areas with a predominantly black population.

I recall reading an article that laid out the homicide rate by race.

Asians = 1.6 per 100k
Whites = 3.3 per 100k
Blacks = 22 per 100k

Everywhere I've lived in the U.S (all California) is probably just as safe as your average European city.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Us cities should be no where on this list.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Blacks account for 12.6% of our nation's population, and 50% of its homicide victims. I'd say that would indicate that violent crime is most certainly limited to certain areas with a predominantly black population.

I recall reading an article that laid out the homicide rate by race.

Asians = 1.6 per 100k
Whites = 3.3 per 100k
Blacks = 22 per 100k

Everywhere I've lived in the U.S (all California) is probably just as safe as your average European city.
Great memory

Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
The photo of Detroit is amazing. Hard to understand any western city allows and watches such a level of decay.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
I think it is partly because of the overabundance of liquor stores in American inner cities. Most of the world lives on a few dollars a day. In remote impoverished places in Africa, the Middle East and Asia, hard alcohol for a few dollars is not available at every vendor on every corner like American ghettos. Liquor stores make up most of the businesses in American ghettos from DC to Oakland. It is no secret that alcohol fuels violent crime rates. It is estimated that over 50% of all violent crimes involve alcoholic intoxication.

Alcohol Fuels Violence (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gallery/photostories/violence/violence14.DTL - broken link)

West Oakland: 53 liquor stores, 0 grocery stores, detour commuters, & street art activism : Indybay

Why so many liquor stores? - SFGate

Cohesively, America leads the world in gun violence. Why? Maybe because there are nearly 90 guns for every 100 people in America. There is no where in America where it is easier to get a gun than in the ghetto:

http://www.tauntongazette.com/opinio...-gun-homicides

All of this reminds me of that Dave Chappelle stand up skit when he said "How do you know you're in a ghetto? When all you see is liquor stores and gun stores".

Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Great memory
Yep, I read it for a report I did in college, stuck with me... although, a few years out of date by now... I also don't remember the rate for latinos... think it was somewhere in the 6 per 100k range...

Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
"30 percent of Black people without college education and nearly 60 percent of high school dropouts had prison records."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies