Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,728,765 times

Advertisements

Rick Perry's public exhibition of prayer doesn't follow what Jesus taught us about prayer. Why is Rick Perry ignoring the teachings of our savior Jesus Christ?

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. -Matthew 5: 5-6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM

68,282 posts, read 54,070,915 times
Well, he is doing a fine job of channeling the hypocrites.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,266,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Rick Perry's public exhibition of prayer doesn't follow what Jesus taught us about prayer. Why is Rick Perry ignoring the teachings of our savior Jesus Christ?

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. -Matthew 5: 5-6
Don't be ridiculous.

So you think all churches that hold prayers are not following Jesus either?

All pastors who say the prayer for the congregation aren't following Jesus?

The pope isn't following Jesus when he leads his fellow Catholics in prayer?

We aren't following Jesus when we pray around the dinner table before a meal?

^^ I guess this shows that no one is following Jesus, right?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,728,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Don't be ridiculous.

So you think all churches that hold prayers are not following Jesus either?

All pastors who say the prayer for the congregation aren't following Jesus?

The pope isn't following Jesus when he leads his fellow Catholics in prayer?

We aren't following Jesus when we pray around the dinner table before a meal?

^^ I guess this shows that no one is following Jesus, right?
This isn't a church. This is a politician trying to look righteous in the eyes of voters.

Those are the very words of Jesus Christ. He warned us about people like Rick Perry. I hope people find this out before it is too late.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,792,613 times
Quote:

Religion is only valuable if you wear it on your sleeve. That way, all can see how "good" you are.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,892,977 times
OMG .. Perry not following Jesus? .. Oh The Outrage ..

Meanwhile .. out here in the real world .....

Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,266,792 times
Quote:
This isn't a church. This is a politician trying to look righteous in the eyes of voters.

Those are the very words of Jesus Christ. He warned us about people like Rick Perry. I hope people find this out before it is too late.
Yes but by your quote it would disqualify everything I stated above. Perhaps you should read it again:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. -Matthew 5: 5-6"

Does it say anything about "church?"

What this basically means is that you shouldn't use religion for your own personal gain. It is not up to us to pass judgment on Rick Perry for we do not know if he is truly pandering to the religious masses, or if he really believes deeply in what he says. However-- this thread is going against the bible as you are using passages from the bible for YOUR own gain by using them to discredit someone. Pot meet kettle I suppose.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:02 PM

58,573 posts, read 26,876,249 times
Quote:

So don't vote for him.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,159,727 times
Some people spend way too much time thinking up stupid thread topics.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 PM

760 posts, read 683,659 times
If Rick Perry is not doing something hypocritical, hell has frozen over. Not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies