Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM

554 posts, read 2,496,120 times

Advertisements

I'm definitely not reading through 17 pages, so if this has already been said, I apologize.

People continue to blame others because it's the easy way out. If you blame your horrible parents for your bad report card, it feels a lot better than knowing you're the only one responsible for the mess you're in. That's what America is doing right now - blaming others when there's no one to blame but ourselves. Democrats and Republicans are always pointing the finger at what the other party is doing wrong, but never seem to realize what they themselves are doing wrong.

I can say I am saddened by the debt downgrade, but I'm not surprised. The U.S. had more than enough time to get this figured out, but political gridlock kept progress from occurring, right? Wrong. People blaming others kept (and is keeping) the U.S. from staying on top of the world. And right about now, I don't think we deserve to be. The world looks to US, the United States, to lead the world in times of trouble. We're not really doing that this time around. China and other countries are doing a heck of a lot better job than we are in pushing growth. You can say it's because they're stealing our jobs, their lower cost of labor, etc. Again, blame.

We seriously need to take a look at ourselves if we have any hope for the future. And not blame others, but take responsibility for your actions. I think this is the only way we can get on the right track.

Last edited by CHICAGOLAND92; 08-05-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,387,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No worries. I will think about it tomorrow.
At Tara?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,473,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Little is the key word. You seem fixed on nibbling around the edges than attacking the real problem. By the left's own account eliminating tax cuts may bring in $1 trillion over 10 years. We are running deficits of $1.4 trillion. The time for class warfare is over. We need real, serious and deep cuts in spending.
Exactly! We need cuts every where including where the republicans don't want to go, not just medicare and SS. We also need to raise taxes as tax cuts are not free and never have been.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,387,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Exactly! We need cuts every where including where the republicans don't want to go, not just medicare and SS. We also need to raise taxes as tax cuts are not free and never have been.
You clearly do not have a grasp of this situation.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,387,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
seriously, who takes a 5 week vacation. Especially at this point.
The difference between Congress and kindergarten is that Congress gets more recess, but kindergarten has adult supervision.

--the late Ed Zorinksky, D-Nebraska, Senator

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,730,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
My friends and I are having a big debate about how we could get a more effective Congress. One says we should pick names out of the phone book; another is quite certain that procedure by which we select juries is a proven method that would work better.
Lol, the way we pick juries is completely arbitrary. Voir Dire is nothing but each lawyer asking jurors questions and getting rid of which ever ones are less likely to support their client.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,502,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The difference between Congress and kindergarten is that Congress gets more recess, but kindergarten has adult supervision.

--the late Ed Zorinksky, D-Nebraska, Senator
couldn't agree more...

Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,473,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
I don't know about you, but if I ever hit my credit limit and could no longer pay my bills without incurring more debt, I would be forced to start selling some of my possessions and/or cut back on expenses. The govt has failed to do any of this.
I agree! Most people would cut their spending and increase their revenue (another job) until it is gone.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,825,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Absolutely and people must realise that the house causing uncertainty about raising the debt ceiling and not allowing revenue from raised taxes was the main reason we got downgraded.
In the past when America has been in financial turmoil and the debt ceiling was raised it was not turned into a circus and the S&P had no reason to think that America would not pay its debts. This political "Circus" by the the Democrats, Republicans and Tea party fanatics gearing up for elections and not caring about the consequenses of their partisan B/S was the main reason for the downgrade
Being downgraded will not destroy America as the Dollar is still a good option for putting money into but if the Political Parties do NOT stop this power struggle then America will suffer in ways that can not be saved.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,387,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Lol, the way we pick juries is completely arbitrary. Voir Dire is nothing but each lawyer asking jurors questions and getting rid of which ever ones are less likely to support their client.
So you side with the phone book method?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies