Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Fiyero, let me try to educate you.

What party had control of the Presidency and supermajorities in both houses of Congress from 2008-2010? What party had control of Congress from 2006-2008?

Game. Set. Match.

TTYL.

They like to leave those facts out of the mix.

Hey, it's been OVER 48 hours since the US has been downgraded....have we heard from obama yet?

Where IS our fearless leader?

I think he was golfing again today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Bush had his warts, no question about it.

That said, your reference to Clinton is incorrect. If there was a budget surplus under Clinton, please explain why the national debt increased every year he was in office.
Incorrect, the debt didn't rise every year. Clinton didn't erase the debt, but for a period of time towards the last half of his Presidency, he stopped adding to it.

The Budget and Deficit Under Clinton | FactCheck.org

A deficit occurs when the government takes in less money than it spends in a given year. The debt is the total amount the government owes at any given time. So the debt goes up in any given year by the amount of the deficit, or it decreases by the amount of any surplus. The debt the government owes to the public decreased for a while under Clinton, but the debt was by no means erased.

Clinton erased the federal deficit with his surplus. He alone could not erase the federal debt.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
The U.S. doesn't deserve a AA-plus credit rating, much less triple-A

Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Incorrect, the debt didn't rise every year. Clinton didn't erase the debt, but for a period of time towards the last half of his Presidency, he stopped adding to it.
Take a look for yourself and see the actual dollar amount. The national debt increased every year.

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual

Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Take a look for yourself and see the actual dollar amount. The national debt increased every year.

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual
You're looking at a different statistic. There is a difference between gross debt and public debt. The increase to debt as percentage of GDP went down under Clinton. The debt as a percentage of GDP is what most economists view as the important number.

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at the chart on that page from the CBO under Increase Debt/GDP, Clinton is in the green.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
From one of the saner Forums on C-D:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
There is also basically a finite amount of oil. As I said, the U.s Dollar is backed by the value of Opec's oil. Today, black gold means far more than gold. It's also backed by the U.s military. History has shown what happens when you back a country into a corner and force it to fight for survival and its standard of living. We wouldn't want to see the day when the U.s is forced to unleash unrestricted warfare with its airforce, navy, and nuclear arsenal.

Iraq found out what happens when you attack the Dollar. They stopped accepting dollars for their oil and broke the OPEC agreement. Within one year, it was attacked and the arrangement was restored. It sent a very clear message to the rest of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The funny thing about Bin Laden was that his goal was to bankrupt the United States. He laughed about how easy it was to get us seeing red and seeking revenge on any corner of the globe. The policy that we followed after 911 actually weakened dollar hegemony significantly and could very well eventually cost us the reserve currency and standard of living we have enjoyed. All along he wanted to attack the two pillars of American Hegemony to force us to pull back our empire, which was why he hit the World Trade Center (U.s economy/Dollar) and Pentagon (military). If it was simply about "killing Americans" there are plenty of better targets.

What position would we be in today if we didn't play into his hand? If we spent all of that money on infrustructure, schools, and medical care? The American media and patriots in this country have a stunning level of stupidity.

We killed him, but he may get his wish and have the final laugh. Like an Internet troll, the only way to defeat him or her is (or should I say WAS)to ignore them.

However, it's fairly obvious that American foreign policy makers used the 911 attacks (that occured as a result of 80 years of American empire) as a way to rally the public for war to achieve their goals.

‪Blowback definition‬‏ - YouTube

Of course, we have seen this time and time again---most notably in world war 2.

Quote:
"...cutting off a country's oil or gas is a proven path to war. In 1941, the United States froze Japan's assets, denying her the funds to pay for the U.S. oil on which she relied, forcing Tokyo either to retreat from her empire or seize the only oil in reach, in the Dutch East Indies. The only force able to interfere with a Japanese drive into the East Indies? The U.S. Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor
Feigning innocence when the blow back comes. Rally cry.

USS Maine....or the Tonkin Gulf...
Osama is smiling.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-07-2011 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
World History 101:

Nations aren't business, and some events occur that you can't prepare for.

Ask Roosevelt on December 7th, 1941
Roosevelt held a balanced budget, just like every president since then. Balanced budgets CAN include borrowed money.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
You are just repeating the lies you have been fed. The charts you posted ONLY are external debt, not the TOTAL debt. When you borrow against your mortgage, you cant proclaim to have less debt, but thats what Clinton did.
Quote:
A deficit occurs when the government takes in less money than it spends in a given year. The debt is the total amount the government owes at any given time. So the debt goes up in any given year by the amount of the deficit, or it decreases by the amount of any surplus. The debt the government owes to the public decreased for a while under Clinton, but the debt was by no means erased.
ONLY public debt decreased, but the federal debt ceiling isnt JUST the public debt. You are reading factchecks LIES and repeating them as if they are the truth. They play their readers for stupid fools, because they think people cant seperate "public" debt, from "total" debt.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times
Quote:
The increase to debt as percentage of GDP went down under Clinton. The debt as a percentage of GDP is what most economists view as the important number.
I never said anything about the debt/GDP ratio and stand by what I originally said -- the national debt increased every year.

I know you won't like this article because of the source, but please read it anyway. It's lengthy but explains it much better than I ever could.

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I never said anything about the debt/GDP ratio and stand by what I originally said -- the national debt increased every year.

I know you won't like this article because of the source, but please read it anyway. It's lengthy but explains it much better than I ever could.

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus
No thanks. My link was from a non-partisan source and the Congressional Budget Office. I'm not going to waste my time on some conservative propaganda website.

Everyone agrees our economy was the best under Clinton for at least the last few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies