Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,454,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
The US Postal service should have been privatized 70 years ago, along with most government BS. They now deliver 98% junk mail, do you really need and look forward to that

Its completely outdated and needs to go away.
I don't know what percentage of thrid-class (JUNK) mail the USPS delivers, but first-class mail has dropped drastically over the last decade...and will continue to drop. The amount of junk mail delivered (percentage-wise) has, and will, continue to increase.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,626,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I don't know what percentage of thrid-class (JUNK) mail the USPS delivers, but first-class mail had dropped drastically over the last decade...and will continue to drop.
During the Reagan years home delivery was FOUR DAYS A WEEK. There was a significant rise in rates too. I haven't seen the Post Office doing any of those things yet

Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,876,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I don't know what percentage of thrid-class (JUNK) mail the USPS delivers, but first-class mail had dropped drastically over the last decade...and will continue to drop.
Correct. That's why changes need to be made. I could name a half-dozen PO's in my area alone that could be shutdown. Times that over the whole nation and you will see tremendous savings...for one example.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
During the Reagan years home delivery was FOUR DAYS A WEEK. There was a significant rise in rates too. I haven't seen the Post Office doing any of those things yet
Five day delivery is coming. We've been told to prepare. As for the rates, people would complain if we hiked rates and they complain if we don't.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,022,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Can you provide a link that proves that? That's right...you can't.
Well I have been corrected. Thanks for setting me straight, and find the pamprin in the medicine cabinet please.

Only four million tons, thats " 8,000,000,000 lbs." of it annually, so I would have to find out how many articles of mail each person gets then do some math. If you are a tree hugger it should in some way pizz you off, no?

I would tell you what percentage of that goes to the land fill, but I wouldnt want you to have a melt down k

Too Much Junk Mail in America

Waste and Recycling Facts | Clean Air Council

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Well I have been corrected. Thanks for setting me straight, and find the pamprin in the medicine cabinet please.

Only four million tons, thats " 8,000,000,000 lbs." of it annually, so I would have to find out how many articles of mail each person gets then do some math. If you are a tree hugger it should in some way pizz you off, no?

I would tell you what percentage of that goes to the land fill, but I wouldnt want you to have a melt down k

Too Much Junk Mail in America

Waste and Recycling Facts | Clean Air Council
I couldn't care less how many trees junk mail destroys. Junk mail helps pay the bills. It's also the single most effective way of reaching everyone. Not everyone listens to the radio or watches TV or has a computer, but the vast majority have mail delivery.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I couldn't care less how many trees junk mail destroys. Junk mail helps pay the bills. It's also the single most effective way of reaching everyone. Not everyone listens to the radio or watches TV or has a computer, but the vast majority have mail delivery.
I think your trying to pick up a turd from the clean end, and the dog wont hunt.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I think your trying to pick up a turd from the clean end, and the dog wont hunt.
Am I wrong about direct mail being the #1 way to reach people?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Am I wrong about direct mail being the #1 way to reach people?
And how or why would that be? And why is the US postal service the only way of achieving that?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
And how or why would that be? And why is the US postal service the only way of achieving that?
Can you not read what I typed above? Okay...again...slowly:

Not everyone has a TV.
Not everyone has a radio.
Not everyone has a computer.

The VAST majority of American's receive mail either at home, a PO box or work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies