Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,267,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Norway appears to be a microlab for the loony Left's bizarre policies.
Norway is one of the most well-off countries in the world and is doing very well. That means that it's policies are working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:09 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,062,313 times
Norway does it right - we could definitely learn from them:

"In Norway, rehabilitation is the guiding principle, not punishment...

'Both society and the individual simply have to put aside their desire for revenge, and stop focusing on prisons as places of punishment and pain," one Norwegian prison official told the Daily Mail. 'Depriving a person of their freedom for a period of time is sufficient punishment in itself without any need whatsoever for harsh prison conditions.'"

Old 08-07-2011, 10:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,230,378 times
I like how the Americans who beat the FREEDOM!!! drum the loudest all claim that they would prefer to live in a Norwegian prison because the cells have drapes and XBOXes.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,055,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I like how the Americans who beat the FREEDOM!!! drum the loudest all claim that they would prefer to live in a Norwegian prison because the cells have drapes and XBOXes.
Yep. It's still a cage.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM

77,020 posts, read 47,392,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
The Super-Lux Super Max - An FP Slide Show | Foreign Policy

This is incredible. They get free dental. While I dont have any insurance and I have to pay for dental out of pocket.
It says "In Norway, rehabilitation is the guiding principle, not punishment". I do not find that hard to understand.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,320,215 times
Quote:

This is incredible. They get free dental. While I dont have any insurance and I have to pay for dental out of pocket.
Who are we to question another countries prison system.

I bet their repeat offender rate and crime rate is lower then ours too.

Oh yeah, they are 29th in the world in total crime, we are number one in the world for total crime

Total crimes statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

And the homicide rate is considerably lower too.

Oh yeah, but harsh prisons that just punish are the best ways to prohibit crime

7,545 posts, read 8,305,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Norway is one of the most well-off countries in the world and is doing very well. That means that it's policies are working.
Yeah, I wonder what their immigration policies are?

I prefer Sheriff Joe Arpaio's chain-gain tent city approach personally.

2,923 posts, read 5,592,987 times
Quote:

they are wards of the state who are unable to earn income and therefore unable to pay for medical insurance. not providing prisoners with medical coverage would be truly disgusting. for some a 1 year prison sentence for a non-violent offense would be a death sentence if they were provided with medical care. that's murder. something a communist would support no doubt.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,261,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
While technically true, they can extend sentences indefinitely if they feel that the prisoner is a major threat to society.
Yes. Except it has never been done. A nurse who killed 22 people, was paroled after 9 Yrs of his 21 yr sentence.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,267,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yeah, I wonder what their immigration policies are?

I prefer Sheriff Joe Arpaio's chain-gain tent city approach personally.
That has nothing to do with this thread. I can see that you can't think of anything but that. If you care so much, get a gun and go to the border. Don't patronize this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies