Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:09 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,043,197 times

Advertisements

The Big Picture: What America Has Given Up For 10 Years of Bush Tax Cuts

There are two Americas today - one comprised of the working class that’s in the grip of a Second Republican Great Depression - and the other comprised of millionaires and billionaires who are relatively unscathed thanks to the Wall Street bailout.

Transcript: Thom Hartmann: The Big Picture: What America Has Given Up For 10 Years of Bush Tax Cuts. 7 June '11 | Thom Hartmann - News & info from the #1 progressive radio show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,700,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If you expect the deficit to shrink merely on spending cuts, you will have to get rid of all entitlements. Voters are not going to have that. What we need are tax increases. This country needs revenue!!!!! Stop listening to these economists who are on the Koch Brothers pay rolls. These think tanks are funded by corporate interest.
Please tell us how much revenue you hope to raise by raising taxes.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,572,060 times
I don't thnik keeping increasing spending will do nayhting;cuts are coming like it or not.Increased revenue will come with tax reform and of course when we get i a posiiton to have actaul growth in priavte sector not government.We need to do like germany in cuttig the size of goevrnment to redcue spending by it.Then invest in wealth building instead of investing in consumption programs that do only that and build no wealth.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,384,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The people who create jobs are you and me. To think otherwise is to basically enslave yourself to people who really could not care less about you.
Just wondering, how many payroll checks did you sign this week?

The last job I created, the slave started at $10/hour and after 18 months is getting $38k/yr, slated for raises the next four years to get him over $50k. If he takes advantage of the free credentialing and education I have offered, he could make 50% more--and I hope he does. He has made himself valuable to his employer, who must pay him more than anyone else would--and make the job as interesting and enjoyable (and productive) as possible.

The difference between him and you and me is that two of us understand that in order to prosper, we must be of value to others, who willingly pay us for the goods or services or labor we provide. I have had employees who do not understand this; as soon as I realize it, I free them from their enslavement. Not one of them has been happy to be set free; I wonder if this means they were not exactly "enslaved" as you suggest.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,700,409 times
Default They can't even deliver the mail

US Postal Service warns it could default - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/us-postal-warns-could-default-222059604.html - broken link)

Is there any hope they can fix the economy? I'm not optimistic.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,384,401 times
Quote:
These Republican bots need a reality check. Look at the amount of companies holding on tons of liquidity and not hiring.
You seem to have trouble between understanding what is yours and what is not yours. You get total discretion in how to spend your liquidity, and have no say in how all the rest of the liquidity in the world is used.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,897,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The people who create jobs are you and me. To think otherwise is to basically enslave yourself to people who really could not care less about you. That's why even with their tax breaks they only created jobs overseas. Are we supposed to bow down to these Gods Who Produce Jobs and take it in the rear for the scraps they toss our way? You are asking for the creation of a way of life that has warning signs all over it.

Undo the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cuts for the wealthy and return that $1.9 trillion to where it belongs. Hmm, let's examine that again. We gave them a $1.9T tax cut and they didn't create any jobs for us and this was a good thing worth preserving? They pocketed the cash and gave us the pink slip instead!
yes they did.. Employment through most of the 2000's was at maximum employment levels.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM

901 posts, read 1,892,520 times
Quote:
These Republican bots need a reality check. Look at the amount of companies holding on tons of liquidity and not hiring.
Businesses exist mainly for one purpose -- to make money. Companies aren't going to spend a dime unless they expect to see a return on their investment. Why in the world would they want to take risks now to grow their business when Zero and his merry band of morons want to tax and regulate the crap out of them at every turn just to ensure they pay "their fair share"? Give them an environment where they can thrive and they will unleash their cash into the economy, which translates into more hiring and tax receipts for the govt. Until then, their cash will remain idle which benefits no one.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,897,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Businesses exist mainly for one purpose -- to make money. Companies aren't going to spend a dime unless they expect to see a return on their investment. Why in the world would they want to take risks now to grow their business when Zero and his merry band of morons want to tax and regulate the crap out of them at every turn just to ensure they pay "their fair share"? Give them an environment where they can thrive and they will unleash their cash into the economy, which translates into more hiring and tax receipts for the govt. Until then, their cash will remain idle which benefits no one.
Thats what many liberals dont comprehend. A recession doesnt make money disappear, its caused by the slowing down of money circulating, which also reduces federal revenues.

If they want to increase revenues, they need to foster policies which encourage this money to be spent, not sit around all day long trying to figure out how to take it. All money eventually finds it way to the government because its taxed everytime it changes hands. If they had any sense in their brain, they'd want money to be freeflowing like there is no tomorrow which would solve not only the economic problems of Washington, but also most of americans.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,714,087 times
Quote:

Yes, it seems like the right will fight to the death the "right" of the wealthy to do what they heck they want, as we descend into third world status. I don't begrudge any American citizen wealth, but the current system has created a society of haves and have nots. That is not a society that I want my kids to grow up in. We need to strike a balance, and expecting wealthy capitalists to have compassion and patriotism is a stretch. I'd gladly be proven wrong, but nothing I have seen dissuades me. If we cut taxes on the rich, they will use that capital to buy lobbyists, congressman, judges, and propagandists to ensure that we do it again, and again, and again. A sense of proportion is not their strong suite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies