Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,646,875 times

Advertisements

Raise taxes on the rich. They can afford it and live how they want.

1. It has never been proven that raising taxes on corporations and the wealthy kill job growth. In fact, history proves that to be the contrary. Taxes has nothing to do with job creation. The two are independent of each other.

2. Comparing the housing crisis to the Dot Com bubble is just plain insanity. There were tons of more investments in the housing crisis than there in the dot coms. More people from all walks of life were part of the housing boom unlike the dot com bubble that only include start ups and those who invest in the stock market.

3. A good number of those who are rich don't mind paying extra taxes.

4. Last but not least, taxes and economic activity are independent of each other. The economic growth under Bush has nothing to do with tax cuts. During the 2000s, consumer confidence was up and banks were lending money without hesitation. This all lead us to where we are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I support regulation because I do not trust businesses to do the right thing. Their history shows they will cut whatever corner they can, expose workers to unsafe conditions, dump toxins wherever they can hide them, force people to work fewer hours so they don't have to extend benefits, destroy unions for employees wanting to hold them accountable to existing laws, etc. I care more that this is a good society for citizens, i.e., living breathing human beings, than for pieces of paper called corporations. I don't care that this idea is bad for business. Business either follows the rules or it doesn't exist. I won't yield in hard times and I still assert that ordinary people are capable of creating jobs for themselves. We haven't always had centralized businesses and huge corporations. People used their talents to find work and were mostly self-employed. I see no reason why that same thing can't be done now, or have the corporations managed to destroy our American ingenuity and monopolized our talents?

Granted, I'm not in favor of regulations just for the sake of regulation. They must have a solid reason for being in place. But, I basically hold businesses in contempt. They have to prove they are worth trusting. Why do I hold this view? Because they do the same thing to me as an employee. It makes sense that I take a defensive posture.

Obviously, in the age old struggle between management and the workers, I will side with the workers. And until I hear viable solutions from a management that I can trust (rather than complaints about how much they're being forced to do the right thing, boo hoo), I will remain on that side. Why would I slit my own throat by relenting?
we actually agree on this. i dont want to eliminate all regulations, you are right that would be stupid. but i do want to eliminate regulations that dont belong, that are contradictory, or are there just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

1. It has never been proven that raising taxes on corporations and the wealthy kill job growth. In fact, history proves that to be the contrary. Taxes has nothing to do with job creation. The two are independent of each other.

2. Comparing the housing crisis to the Dot Com bubble is just plain insanity. There were tons of more investments in the housing crisis than there in the dot coms. More people from all walks of life were part of the housing boom unlike the dot com bubble that only include start ups and those who invest in the stock market.

4. Last but not least, taxes and economic activity are independent of each other. The economic growth under Bush has nothing to do with tax cuts. During the 2000s, consumer confidence was up and banks were lending money without hesitation. This all lead us to where we are now.
again please take an economic class before you spew your garbage again. you have no clue what so ever as to how things work. raising taxes just increases prices, and that leads to a slow down in economic activity, and that leads to FEWER jobs, which leads to a SMALLER tax base, and LESS tax revenue to the government. you are probably looking at the clinton years for your stance on higher taxes, but that was an anomaly. FDR raised taxes, and that slowed private industry production until world war two. hoover raised taxes, and that also slowed the economy. carter raised taxes, and the economy slowed down. again please get a clue.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we actually agree on this. i dont want to eliminate all regulations, you are right that would be stupid. but i do want to eliminate regulations that dont belong, that are contradictory, or are there just because.

again please take an economic class before you spew your garbage again. you have no clue what so ever as to how things work. raising taxes just increases prices, and that leads to a slow down in economic activity, and that leads to FEWER jobs, which leads to a SMALLER tax base, and LESS tax revenue to the government. you are probably looking at the clinton years for your stance on higher taxes, but that was an anomaly. FDR raised taxes, and that slowed private industry production until world war two. hoover raised taxes, and that also slowed the economy. carter raised taxes, and the economy slowed down. again please get a clue.
For the last time, if the garbage you spewed was true, why are we in an economic mess now? Can you answer that?

We have the highest unemployment rate in decades and the slowest job recovery. All of which is ongoing during the Bush tax cuts.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,702,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Please tell us how much revenue you hope to raise by raising taxes.
Still waiting.........

I don't expect an answer as you don't care about how much revenue is raised, you simply want to raise taxes for your perceived social justice reasons. Thankfully most of the country understands if you remove money from the economy through taxes you reduce economic activity.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 AM

38,610 posts, read 26,256,746 times
Quote:

"In fact, history proves that to be the contrary. Taxes has nothing to do with job creation."

Must be very easy to make your point when you can just invent "facts" out of thin air any time you like.

"The two are independent of each other."

So a 100% tax rate on corporate profits would have no effect on job creation?

"There were tons of more investments in the housing crisis than there in the dot coms."

I totally agree government does much more harm when they get involved than anything the private sector could do.

"A good number of those who are rich don't mind paying extra taxes."

If they are inclined to do so, it's still a free country (more or less). Who am I to tell someone else what to do with their money?

"The economic growth under Bush has nothing to do with tax cuts. During the 2000s, consumer confidence was up and banks were lending money without hesitation."

Consumer confidence was up?

Compaired to what?

The Gingrich years were up.

The Obummer years are down.

United States Consumer Confidence

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 AM

MoMoney, there are plenty of facts. You do the job to find them. I already know. It's your job to find the facts.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,629,690 times
Congress is in charge of creating and passing a budget each year. It is interesting that the Democratic party controlled both houses from 2007 on and the White house but just passed resolutions to fund the government each year but Bush gets blamed for all those years of spending, he tried to hold the line but Barney Frank and Pelsoi along with Reed just blasted him on the air ways. So Obama got in in 2008 and we still did not have a budget passed until 1/2 of congress went Republician. But it's the Republicians fault because Bush was the President in 2007 and 2008 and could not get by the congress.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,906,014 times
Quote:

The CBO clearly says you are wrong
Federal Tax Revenues from 2003 to 2006

Forgive me for taking their word over an anymous poster working out of his moms basement.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,652,334 times
Quote:
If you expect the deficit to shrink merely on spending cuts, you will have to get rid of all entitlements. Voters are not going to have that. What we need are tax increases. This country needs revenue!!!!! Stop listening to these economists who are on the Koch Brothers pay rolls. These think tanks are funded by corporate interest.

There is no reason to raise taxes on anyone. The federal government already collects too much taxes.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 PM

10,810 posts, read 14,877,674 times
Quote:
If you expect the deficit to shrink merely on spending cuts, you will have to get rid of all entitlements. Voters are not going to have that. What we need are tax increases. This country needs revenue!!!!! Stop listening to these economists who are on the Koch Brothers pay rolls. These think tanks are funded by corporate interest.
To what levels do you propose to raise taxes?

100%?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies