Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:19 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,753,131 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Mircea
Oh, no, the Greeks will have it far better than you.

For every "amenity" the Greeks have to give up, you'll have to give up 4-6. For you it will be heating bill or cable bill, electric or cell-phone, internet or car insurance. Tough choices for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Sad but true. But I've already began this process. The writing has been on the wall for quite some time. I've already cut pack on how much I eat. Americans don't get it. We're accustomed to seeing struggle on TV in other countries and not on our doorsteps. It will be a massive shock to the sheeple.
I'm not sure how a bankrupt government is any different for the US. I don't believe it will be the basic amenities that we'll be choosing from. I do believe that you better get as much bang for your buck as you can, while you can. Buy those solar panels and wind generators, going green might be the best idea. Start planning on planting vegetable gardens.

The biggest thing is recurring debt. Get off the credit cards and start making cuts in monthly spend. I've even dumped my Verizon Treo Palm for a Tracphone. I've cut insurances down to the minimums -- if this country goes bust what insurance company will be able to cover all of their clients?

I've cut everything till there's nothing left to trim. My landing will be much softer than many others simply because I've already eased myself into using less of everything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,295,430 times
It's time to "pop the pimple" and let the "pus" come out...All of the partisan bickering and "blame games" have to come to a head and stop! I am sick and tired of the "win at all cost" mentality. Where are the grown-ups? We can't solve our problems if we keep electing spoiled brat little kids who insist on playing silly games...I am tired of being put in the middle of all of the dysfunction and blame and hate and finger-pointing. It's sickening and embarrassing and dangerous to the welfare of our country. Enough is enough! Let's "pop the pimple" and let the "pus" come out so we can have some sanity and "clear heads" in Washington for a change.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,753,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
It's time to "pop the pimple" and let the "pus" come out...All of the partisan bickering and "blame games" have to come to a head and stop! I am sick and tired of the "win at all cost" mentality. Where are the grown-ups? We can't solve our problems if we keep electing spoiled brat little kids who insist on playing silly games...I am tired of being put in the middle of all of the dysfunction and blame and hate and finger-pointing. It's sickening and embarrassing and dangerous to the welfare of our country. Enough is enough! Let's "pop the pimple" and let the "pus" come out so we can have some sanity and "clear heads" in Washington for a change.
We are enjoying the spoils of a government based on ideology rather than responsibility. People that warned of the problems to come were ignored as wackos wearing tin foil hats. If the many continue to pander to the few, we'll continue to slide into failure.

I fully expect the other rating agencies to follow suit, and a downgrade to AA in 3-6 months. Even now I guarantee Obama and Congress are crafting a response that'll blame the rating companies. Denial seems to be the soup de jour.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by Mircea
Oh, no, the Greeks will have it far better than you.

For every "amenity" the Greeks have to give up, you'll have to give up 4-6. For you it will be heating bill or cable bill, electric or cell-phone, internet or car insurance. Tough choices for you.

I'm not sure how a bankrupt government is any different for the US. I don't believe it will be the basic amenities that we'll be choosing from. I do believe that you better get as much bang for your buck as you can, while you can. Buy those solar panels and wind generators, going green might be the best idea. Start planning on planting vegetable gardens.

The biggest thing is recurring debt. Get off the credit cards and start making cuts in monthly spend. I've even dumped my Verizon Treo Palm for a Tracphone. I've cut insurances down to the minimums -- if this country goes bust what insurance company will be able to cover all of their clients?

I've cut everything till there's nothing left to trim. My landing will be much softer than many others simply because I've already eased myself into using less of everything.

Same here except I never had the verizon unlimited plan in the first place, tracfones work just fine if you *need* a cell phone. I live in the SW and don't use air conditioning. I don't have cable to give up but I don't think I'll give up car insurance because the law here requires it, and I probably won't give up internet.

However I wouldn't die if I did.

To some Americans, it would be like a disaster if they ended up living like people lived in the 60's or 70's. Maybe it's better that we start learning what needs are versus luxuries. Especially the welfare class that doesn't even work for anything they expect to have.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,538,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Of course he will . . . he just loves to hear himself speak.

I decided over a year ago that I was never gonna listen to another word O had to say and would you believe . . . I have managed to switch channels fast enuff to have never suffered thru/ another of his BS speeches.

Now, I will read them just to stay informed, but I do not ever want to actually hear another word he says.
Its sickening. I am Indep and the histrionics and bs from washington neeeds to stop. Here is a link for anyone to complain to their Sen and reps against the debt ceiling drama.

https://secure.consumersunion.org/si...8cblo2.app243a

Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 AM

4,166 posts, read 6,295,430 times
I think it's time to stop viewing politics as a sport.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Giving irresponsible children of both parties another $2.4 trillion credit card, while INCREASING spending... Yeah, sounds like a good move to ensure a stable fiscal future.

Members of both parties are sellouts for the chance to spend more money we don't have. Cut/Cap/Balance was the only card on the table that would have turned this around...yet Dems and the media ensured that this common sense measure was demonized.
The problem isn't with Congressmen or even the Prez as much as it is with the entitlement mentality that has become ingrained in the minds of a portion of this country.

We can all have a "credit card" but that doesn't mean we are gonna use it. And it sure doesn't mean we should game the system, as it were, in order to take advantage of the credit line. Yet, that is what a portion of the citizens (and non-citizens!) of this country have been doing for decades.

So look to your brothers and sisters and neighbors - and yourselves, if it applies! - as to why this country is in a financial mess.

How many folks do you know who are gaming the system in one way or the other? How many people do you know who just "walked away" from their mortgages cause it wasn't a "good deal" any more?

Sure, corporate malfeasance is there! But who amongst us has not understood that Wall Street = greed? And when companies put profits above jobs on American soil . . . well, obviously that couldn't have a good outcome.

And there have been wars and continue to be wars - when will we learn? Bring our soldiers home!

But here's the thing: This country got on a path to destruction the day that some of us decided that the American Dream was a guarantee, not a PURSUIT - and that those who hadn't earned a middleclass lifestyle were still entitled to it, even if it meant "someone else" was gonna pay for it.

In 1970, I was proud to be part of the first Earth Day. Posters circulating during that time summed up how I felt about the world at that point, with my friends and cousins being marched off to Viet Nam, with ecological issues finally coming to the forefront, and with women's rights starting to be recognized as mainstream. The poster read: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Now, 41 years later, truer words were never spoken.

We're our own worst enemy.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM

550 posts, read 602,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I think it's time to stop viewing politics as a sport.
I think it's time to stop buying into politics.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM

550 posts, read 602,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The problem isn't with Congressmen or even the Prez as much as it is with the entitlement mentality that has become ingrained in the minds of a portion of this country.

We can all have a "credit card" but that doesn't mean we are gonna use it. And it sure doesn't mean we should game the system, as it were, in order to take advantage of the credit line. Yet, that is what a portion of the citizens (and non-citizens!) of this country have been doing for decades.

So look to your brothers and sisters and neighbors - and yourselves, if it applies! - as to why this country is in a financial mess.

How many folks do you know who are gaming the system in one way or the other? How many people do you know who just "walked away" from their mortgages cause it wasn't a "good deal" any more?

Sure, corporate malfeasance is there! But who amongst us has not understood that Wall Street = greed? And when companies put profits above jobs on American soil . . . well, obviously that couldn't have a good outcome.

And there have been wars and continue to be wars - when will we learn? Bring our soldiers home!

But here's the thing: This country got on a path to destruction the day that some of us decided that the American Dream was a guarantee, not a PURSUIT - and that those who hadn't earned a middleclass lifestyle were still entitled to it, even if it meant "someone else" was gonna pay for it.

In 1970, I was proud to be part of the first Earth Day. Posters circulating during that time summed up how I felt about the world at that point, with my friends and cousins being marched off to Viet Nam, with ecological issues finally coming to the forefront, and with women's rights starting to be recognized as mainstream. The poster read: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Now, 41 years later, truer words were never spoken.

We're our own worst enemy.
Amen, brother/sister!!! Americans hate looking in the mirror at ourselves. We still believe the universe favors us. We've squandered our favor years ago.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,207,864 times
The US is a great country. However, the people reflect their politics - deeply divided.

And the political machine has been ransomed to the big dollar donors - all of whom are alligned with one self interested industry or another - ie pharma, defense, insurance, healthcare etc. Each are spending tens of millions of dollars a year on supporting only those politicians who support their special interest.

Where is the leadership? Answer: What leadership?

Congress will not do what is right and needed because to do so would support the other team in the White House - God forbid that ever happen. So the country is left to drift - and drift lower.

Or the teabaggers will oppose anything that even remotely touches on the need to pay for their lifestyle and commitments with taxes. They do not believe in taxes.

What is the solution to this? Another election? 'fraid not.

The answer only lies in a true crisis that raises the stakes high above party infighting and deadlock. Only when that happens will there be any consensus on a solution and then action to implement it. But I believe that when that real crisis occurs any action agreed to by the political leaders will be too little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies