Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,871,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The blame should be on the tea party. Boehner and Obama were willing to upset their bases and go for a grand bargain to reduce our debt, but the tea party balked and now we are feeling the pain.

2012 can't get here quick enough.
The Tea Party didn't get us into this mess.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:31 AM

14,366 posts, read 9,742,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To some Americans, it would be like a disaster if they ended up living like people lived in the 60's or 70's. Maybe it's better that we start learning what needs are versus luxuries. Especially the welfare class that doesn't even work for anything they expect to have.
Welfare recipients now eligible to receive cell phones

Hows this for setting us up? Many people can't afford or choose not to pay for a cell phone. Welfare plans to expand this program, which gives families on welfare (+135% poverty level income) a cell phone and 200 minutes per month -- on us!

I thought you'd like to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I rest my case for those of you who wanted us to "come together" for the good of the nation. The fact of the matter is we're hopelessly divided as a nation.
We are no more divided then 1856-1863, not even close. I don't believe people are willing to die for a welfare check, or any social program. However, I do believe that people, who are burdened with paying for them, ARE willing to die to stop them. I'd love to see Paul get elected and actually follow through with an audit of the FED! Follow that up with handing out Federal warrants for corruption and conspiricy charges against every major banking executive involved in the toxic debt scam, both here and abroad. Politicians and bankers have a nice little ponzi scheme going, and the house of cards is falling apart.

Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks
The blame should be on the tea party. Boehner and Obama were willing to upset their bases and go for a grand bargain to reduce our debt, but the tea party balked and now we are feeling the pain.

Blaming the TP for this mess is like shooting yourself in the head and blaming the gun. The tea party wants to STOP SPENDING. We are in this mess BECAUSE OF SPENDING. Do the math, which party still wants to spend? Both parties spent and spent and spent, but which one refuses to stop? It isn't rocket science -- in fact, I'd go so far as to say it's a no brainer.

You can't fight the obvious; at some point, everyone will wise up and stop listening.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-07-2011 at 01:11 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,348,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
The Tea Party didn't get us into this mess.
These people look at a baby and blame it because it was born. You can't expect anything rational out of these people.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 AM

1,019 posts, read 587,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
With the downgrade of the US credit rating comes a swift slap in the face. Our government played games with accounting, burrowing, spending, taxing, regulating, and most of all with us. All of us.

The partisan rhetoric (from both sides) is fine when everything is all AAAish, unemployment is only 9.1% and each person owes some fictionally absurd amount of debt heaped on us by our inept officials. We spend hours going back and forth, trying to reason with each other, with marginal results most of the time.

But, something changed with this slap in the face. This time the world is serious about being pissed off at the USA. We've become the bullies in the school yard and the cops of the world. What usually happens to the bully in the schoolyard?

We've done exactly the same thing that brought down Rome -- spent ourselves into oblivian. And some can still reason that we should be spending more? Are they on crack? If you took that personally I'm sorry about your drug habit.

My point is this. We can either maintain the ignorance of fact, or reason that we better get our sh^T together. I mean all of us, left right, center, black, white, brown and green. If we don't, all of this will be history.

This was just a shot over the bow. Partisan garbage aside, get a clue.
Next stop Greece.
We are being flown smack into cliff face at maximum throttle, by a person(s) bound and determined to shred the Airship USA.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,796,732 times
Partisan bickering is used as an excuse. The real problem is the debt itself. Most of this debt was created by the two sides working together side by side.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,374,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post

2012 can't get here quick enough.
See; once again the idiocy of this to-and-fro rears it's head! After the O/P's concise assessment of todays state of affairs, along comes another one of these abolutely mindless drone posts.

2012 won't change a damn thing! Put another group of morons in office that don't listen to opposition or won't work with all legislaters to compromise; and you'll simply end up with a bigger deeper hole to crawl out of.

you need someone that's going to stand up and tell you all 'where the bear sh^t in the buckwheat'! You folks have been fed so much bullcrap over the years you've actully come to believe it!

Do you remember your history of the end of the civil war and how the term carpet-baggers came to be, how villified they were? You now have nothing but carpet-baggers representing you in Washington not one of those individuals is there for the good of your country but to merely avail himself of a better health plan, pension and kick-back scheme.

Rotating the tires on your car doesn't improve the ride folks!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:25 PM

170 posts, read 361,279 times
Default it won't fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the only way to fix this is chop medicare and social security.
Are you advocating that the federal government default on it's obligations to a privately funded program? The government borrowed from SS and put in that money's place treasury bills. Why punish the participants of SS by making them cover the duplicity of greedy bureaucrats?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 PM
JRR

8,120 posts, read 5,574,386 times
Quote:
Part of change is changing. I hope everyone takes the same approach. I applaud anyone that sets aside partisan nonsense to take up the common good. That cliff everyone has been using as a metaphore, is now a reality.
I had some hope that this might get the attention of Washington to work together on the problem. But this morning on Meet the Press; first it was John Kerry blaming the downgrade on the Tea Party; next up it was John McCain blaming it on President Obama. I guess that the good of the country doesn't rank as high on their agenda as finger pointing/bickering. So much for leadership

Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,777,005 times
Quote:
With the downgrade of the US credit rating comes a swift slap in the face. Our government played games with accounting, burrowing, spending, taxing, regulating, and most of all with us. All of us.

The partisan rhetoric (from both sides) is fine when everything is all AAAish, unemployment is only 9.1% and each person owes some fictionally absurd amount of debt heaped on us by our inept officials. We spend hours going back and forth, trying to reason with each other, with marginal results most of the time.

But, something changed with this slap in the face. This time the world is serious about being pissed off at the USA. We've become the bullies in the school yard and the cops of the world. What usually happens to the bully in the schoolyard?

We've done exactly the same thing that brought down Rome -- spent ourselves into oblivian. And some can still reason that we should be spending more? Are they on crack? If you took that personally I'm sorry about your drug habit.

My point is this. We can either maintain the ignorance of fact, or reason that we better get our sh^T together. I mean all of us, left right, center, black, white, brown and green. If we don't, all of this will be history.

This was just a shot over the bow. Partisan garbage aside, get a clue.
Next stop Greece.
Or to put it another way...deys too many folks ridin on the wagon and not enought pulling it!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:59 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,742,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
2012 won't change a damn thing! Put another group of morons in office that don't listen to opposition or won't work with all legislaters to compromise; and you'll simply end up with a bigger deeper hole to crawl out of.

We've voted crooks into office, and now we're paying the price for our complacency and their incompetence. A good example would be the border; the FED takes States to court over enforcement of their own laws. They'll spend public funds to fight over their right to be the sole enforcers of laws that they have no intention of enforcing. What good is a government that openly ignores the very laws they've created?

We are a country of laws -- except the laws don't seem to apply to the lawmakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies