Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Obama worse than Carter
Not yet, but he's getting there 4 6.56%
He is unquestionably worse than Carter 57 93.44%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,157,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Bogus poll. I will write in "W." What other president was so unqualified to lead that he needed an advisor whispering political strategies in his ear his whole presidency? Who else would prance around in a flight vest on an aircraft carrier saying "Mission Accomplished" a month into a multiyear unfunded, unjustified war? Who would cut taxes right after launch such a war and hide the costs? I could go on, but it is too revolting.

He makes both Carter and Obama look Lincolnesque in comparison.
CD has already had a thread on "Worst President Ever". Dig it up and post in it; this thread is directed to people who lived through the Carter administration and asks who is worse--Carter or Obama. I lived through the Carter years as an adult and still have enough brain cells to make a comparison. Take your off-topic comments to where they belong:

Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,300,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That's crazy, Kennedy was a great president.
So you agree that Obama sucks?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:14 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,611,297 times
I did well under Carter, inflation is only bad for the money lenders and parasites. My salary tripled, the value of my house quadrupled while my mortgage remained the same. I wound up with $100,000 in 14% CDs for 5 years. If it weren't for Carter i'd still be a wage slave.

Juts like now, Eric Cantor et al have put themselves in a position to make a bundle on the decline they caused

Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,283,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I will give Obama some slack in that he really did inherit a bad situation.
No, I won't give Obama any slack. He came in telling us what a moron GWB was and instead of showing us what a leader he was he promptly divided this country into ideologically warring camps. We have a healthcare bill few wanted and the country can't afford, an EPA out of control and threatening our entire power industry, a massive stimulus that did nothing but leave us drowning in debt. I remember Carter. He was an ineffectual nebbish that somehow became president and rightly only lasted one term, but he didn't permanently damage this country. Obama's economic policies will leave this country in serious economic trouble for years, but worse, I think he's created a racial schism in this country that may never heal.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,456,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You're using partisan rhetoric rather than facts. Bush isn't close to the worst president. He didn't have a debt downgrade during his watch.
Don't be delusional. GWB set America on this current economic path to not even acknowledge that fact is pure political bias.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 AM

29,946 posts, read 18,515,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Where are we?

Old folks?

Both were (and are) bad. Under Carter, interest rates were approaching 20% and inflation was at 15%. People were unwilling to make larger purchases for homes or cars, as they could not afford the high interest rates. There was a pall of despair over the nation, as we were embarrassed by the Iranians and people were always asking why the hell we could not, or would not, DO SOMETHING. Driving 55 mph sucked. People were adding or using wood burning fireplaces to supplement heat in thier homes.

The uncertainty and fear of the future, however, is much worse under Obama. There was a sense under Carter that things would never get better and that the US was doomed, much as everyone thinks now under Obama. However, Carter did not have the lodestone of creating trillions in additional debt and the sense that the US would go broke. That is a new and more terrifying addition that Obama has created.

On the aggregate, I would say that Obama is worse than Carter. At least with Carter, you really got the impression that he was a genuine man who was really trying to do what he thought was best for the US, but was just incompetent. With Obama, one gets the feeling that he is really not on our side and supports the interests of other entities at the expense of the US.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 AM

29,946 posts, read 18,515,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That's crazy, Kennedy was a great president.

I would agree. With the exception of the mistake of initiating involvement in Vietnam, Kennedy was a good president. He would be considered a far right wing conservative today.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,866,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Don't be delusional. GWB set America on this current economic path to not even acknowledge that fact is pure political bias.
Don't be delusional, George Bush didn't have a debt downgrade during his watch. DONT BE DELUSIONAL

Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,157,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
No, I won't give Obama any slack. He came in telling us what a moron GWB was and instead of showing us what a leader he was he promptly divided this country into ideologically warring camps. We have a healthcare bill few wanted and the country can't afford, an EPA out of control and threatening our entire power industry, a massive stimulus that did nothing but leave us drowning in debt. I remember Carter. He was an ineffectual nebbish that somehow became president and rightly only lasted one term, but he didn't permanently damage this country. Obama's economic policies will leave this country in serious economic trouble for years, but worse, I think he's created a racial schism in this country that may never heal.
Can't disagree with anything you said as I also stated that Carter was in over his head and that Obama just made everything worse. Obama belongs back in the world of academia. Carter would do well to build houses and not make any comments re: today's political situation.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,541,120 times
While Nixon's mega-boneheaded decision to take the USA off the gold standard in 1971 remains the biggest economic blunder of the past four decades, Obama has already proven to be worse than Carter, not only because of his fixation with tax increases and using unelected regulators from the EPA and elsewhere to strangle our economy, but simply because he's the most-thin-skinned President we've ever had, & he'll never admit when he's wrong.

His hostility towards the GOP is not going to help this country under any circumstances, since LBJ called GOP Minority leader Everett Dirksen daily at 5PM back in the sixties, as Dick Morris has mentioned more than once on 'The O'Relly Factor'.

I never saw any evidence that Gingrich & Clinton despised each other as much as Obama despises everybody across the aisle, and obviously can't stand Mr. Ryan, who's demolished him repeatedly and pointing out his ineptitude in all things related to economics.

President Reagan certainly got along with Senate Minority leader Howard Baker back in the eighties as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies