Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 AM

58,659 posts, read 26,957,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I stand by what I said, they have a sweet deal. According to your source, they pay in only 1% and are encouraged to add savings to another tax free account that's matched. They can take early retirement at age 50, and are fully vested after only 6 years.

My point was they are treated like royalty, while we call them "public servants". We encourage them to serve themselves.
Federal Politician Benefits | eHow.com
Ron Paul is the only Congressman that refused to sign up for the lucrative retirement benefits. He has actually returned money to Washington from his PAC. We need many more like him.
You need to read more from the site.

the "tax free'"is called TSP and is a 401K, just like many businesses have.
Also read the section on early retirement.

You pay income taxes on the regular retirement, Social security and the TSP (401k) when you start to draw on it.

Annuity Computation

Here is how the basic FERS annuity formula is calculated:
[CENTER]FERS Basic Annuity Formula[/CENTER]
  • Under Age 62 at Separation for Retirement or
  • Age 62 or Older With Less Than 20 Years of Service
1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
  • Age 62 or Older at Separation With 20 or More Years of Service
1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
I don't disagree with the royalty comment. I am no way defending many of the perks and other things they get away with. I am only pointing some of the mis-information some have as to the retirement and health care programs they get just as any other fed employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,645,513 times
I find it bizarre that these so-called "fiscal conservatives" support medicare.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 AM

58,659 posts, read 26,957,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
NO, absolutely not true. Postal workers hired in 1987 could still opt for the older system.
You may be right. I have bee wrong before. I can only go by what I read;
from the USPS retirement site;

"The Office of Personnel and Management (OPM) administers both USPS retirement programs - the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). The CSRS generally applies to employees who received a career appointment before January 1, 1984 while the FERS applies to employees whose initial career appointment was January 1, 1984 or later, and CSRS employees that elected to transfer to FERS.
USPS Postal Retirement Information

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,379,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I find it bizarre that these so-called "fiscal conservatives" support medicare.
There are no fiscal conservatives that support MediCare/MedicAid. Anyone who supports any unconstitutional federal social program cannot be, by definition, a fiscal conservative.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,645,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are no fiscal conservatives that support MediCare/MedicAid. Anyone who supports any unconstitutional federal social program cannot be, by definition, a fiscal conservative.
i agree, and yet, ask a bunch of tea party conservatives what they think about our biggest unfunded entitlement, and you will get no response.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM

1,019 posts, read 588,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
No, that would not legitimize an Unconstitutional law. That's why the Supreme Court and State Supreme Courts rule on laws to determine if they are Constitutional or not.
Where in the Constitution is there anything that would authorize a Ponzi-scheme retirement system called social security?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i agree, and yet, ask a bunch of tea party conservatives what they think about our biggest unfunded entitlement, and you will get no response.
And you deceive yourself into "knowing" this exactly how??? Oh, I forgot, you pulled it out of your "dark secret place".

Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You see the term "opt out" or "opt in". These are code words for ending social security. If some don't participate, that's the end if the program.

Americans don't want these programs touched. It's time for real solutions, like cutting military spending.
And just how is cutting the number one priority the Federal government has/does going to solve anything, except your hatred for the US as a superpower.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 4,116,883 times
Can we just bring back pre 1913 government?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,533,162 times
not my words, but I share his sentiments.

Quote:
Stop and think about this:
One million seconds equals 12 days.
One billion seconds equals 32 years.
One trillion seconds equals 32,000 years.

Our national debt is now approaching $14.5 trillion. Our nations total gross domestic product for 2009 was $12.5 trillion. What are Washington politicians thinking? They could tax every persons income at 100 percent and not be able to pay back this debt. And still they want to tax and borrow more.

As of right now 100 percent of our nation's federal tax revenue is eaten up by 5 "entitlement" programs: Social Security, welfare, Medicare, Medicaid and food stamps. Every other program, defense, education, park service, border patrol and hundreds more are running on borrowed money.

Before World War II none of these "entitlements" and most other federal programs did not exist. And yet America became a super power with the highest standard of living in the world. Today we're in danger of becoming a third world nation indebted to China and others. It's time to say stop and start weaning people off "entitlements" and end unconstitutional government programs. The only "entitlements" promised the American people were Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness. Sound familiar?
Get rid of entitlements - ObserverToday.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Dunkirk | The Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies