Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,374,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Gurbie has become very anti-Obama this past week. They do have some cannibals among them but they can change back as easily as they did this time.
I'm not interested in turning into a cannibal .

As I've said before, I've never voted for a GOP presidential candidate in my life, and that includes some good people, back when the GOP was a responsible governing alternative party.

I sure as heck would never vote GOP now. Even if a relatively decent moderate like Romney does get the nomination, if elected, all the crazies would be calling the shots.

No thanks. If Obama is the Dem candidate in 2012 (a certainty, unless things get REALLY bad), I'll hold my nose and vote for him.

I don't dislike Obama because he's not "liberal" enough for me. I dislike him because he's ineffective. Either through fecklessness, inexperience, or neglect, he is failing to use the tools available to him to defend the values and needs of working class Americans, against the GOP/TP corporate onslaught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,358,884 times
Hillary would clobber obama in the primaries. Dems buyer remorse in dumping her is astronomical. But challenging him would alienate black voters. She would still get 90%, but of a much smaller turnout, and she would lose the general even though she would be a much much stronger candidate than obama.

As things are, she and Bill are gleefully watching obama self-destruct. They know there's a good chance obama will be so unelectable by the time of the convention that dems of all colors will be clamoring to draft Hillary. That gets her the nomination without the ugliness of primaries, and with insignificant loss of black votes.

Watch for Bill to offer obama lots of "friendly" advice, in ways that reminds dems how much better Bill was, and subtly convey his fears that obama is "just too nice a guy" to deal with the evil repubs...

Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM

550 posts, read 602,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Your post flies in the face of fact, and reality. Your "make-believe" world doest mesh with the real world.

Bush didn't do a "terrible" jobb. Under the conditions he had, he did a mediocre (average) job. Obama, however, is an unmitigated disaster on steroids, crack, speedball and Red Bull
What conditions are you referring to?!?! Bush wanted a war with an entire country over the actions of a few "terrorists" who weren't from that country, all so our government could blow American taxpayer dollars by giving Bush's rich corporate buddies war contracts. He approved the first bailout and gave tax breaks to corporations for outsourcing America's future. He blew a budget surplus too. Oh, and gas prices skyrocketed under Bush's presidency. And that stupid, *****-kicking goober praised a guy for leaving people to die in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. You're blinded by your own Neo-Con ideology. And you're right. He didn't do a "terrible job". It was a train wreck/blood-bath, back-alley abortion.

You're probably one of those people who blame blacks for the housing bubble. "Yeah, the country is in financial trouble because all those blacks financed houses they couldn't afford anyway!!" Lot of others did the same thing. And the housing crisis started under your beloved oaf of a president.

Now, your statement should have read:

"Obama isn't doing a terrible job. Under the conditions he had, he's doing a mediocre job."

Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM

550 posts, read 602,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I think that "experience" was a valid judgement factor in 2008
It obviously made no difference in the minds of the majority of Americans......

Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
No primary challange for Obama- is race a factor?
I'll cut you some slack since you're a political newbie, but the presidential campaign does not traditionally or "officially" start until December.

The fact that Obama panicked and started campaigning in March means nothing.

Also note that the DNC has not officially or publicly given Obama an automatic renomination bid.

That typically doesn't happen until around October/November, sometimes December.

In the last 60 years, only Truman and Clinton were given the "green light" (and no, JFK did not get the "green light" and neither did Carter or LBJ).

There are at least 6 unnamed Democrats exploring runs against Obama as we speak, and then there's this:

Quote:
CA Dem Party Progressives Explore Primary Challenge to Obama

SAN FRANCISCO - There have long been rumblings that the liberal base is ticked off at President Obama, but the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party just put that frustration into writing: They've passed a resolution exploring calling for a primary challenge to Obama.

President Obama challenged from the left in a primary? Karen Bernal, chair of CDP's Progressive Caucus, doesn't plan to ask the full California Democratic Party to approve the resolution. It was meant more as a statement of conscience than a desire to back a rival to Obama, she said. "Is there a sense of desperation in this?" Bernal said. "I would have to say yes." Now, this is largely symbolic, but it's heavy nonetheless. They're ticked that Obama hasn't ditched the Bush tax cuts, has continued drone attacks overseas, and hasn't ended the foreclosure crisis, among other sins listed below. The straw that broke their collective caucus backs, Caucus chair Karen Bernal told us Wednesday, was Obama's -- as the resolution put it -- "unilateral closed-door budget offer to slash Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, which endangers the New Deal and War on Poverty safety nets."

"Our silence," Bernal told us, "is a price that's too high to pay."
CA Dem Party progressives explore primary challenge to Obama : Politics Blog

This is a lengthy article, but a good read regardless of your political persuasion. Very accurate on many accounts of assessing Obama's weaknesses.

In particular, read the part that frightens Democrats most.

Quote:
President Obama's big drags
President Obama's big drags - Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,320,368 times
The people who are "sick of the race card" are the very same people who incessantly talk about race.

Without these whiners, race would take a back seat the more important issues.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:33 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,801,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Guess you're against hiring kids straight out of college, huh..
I think anyone would be against hiring kids out of college for an executive position. Wouldn't you?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,873,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What I don't get, how would they get a backlash from blacks? Most blacks will vote for a Democrat no matter how bad they are and I really doubt blacks will turnout in numbers as much as they did in 2008. What has changed for them? Well, nothing really

Now, thats racist.
Blacks will vote Democrat because they are black?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,363,170 times
He's right. Any potential Dem contender for the Dem primary starts off 30 points in the hole since the Dem party is about 30% black and 90%+ will support Obama. A serious primary challenge against Obama is doomed from the start as a result.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,720,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
80s, seriously, this really isn't about him being black. It's about him being a liberal Democrat. The exact same thing would have happened if we had voted for a white liberal Democrat. The Right in this country can not and will not abide a Democratic president. The vitriol directed at Obama is no worse than what was directed at Clinton in the 90s.. and that was during a time of prosperity.
I completely agree. Funny thing is, both Obama and Clinton were whip smart guys that were painted as clueless and unqualified their whole presidencies. It is just the conservative spin machine is humming at full tilt. Can you imagine what they would have said about Hillary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies