Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this a representation of the "True America"
Yes 12 22.64%
No 41 77.36%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,008,209 times

Advertisements

Be careful with this topic. I see many tempting tangents to pursue in the posts above that would be off-topic for this forum.

Politics and Other Controversies is the place to have a freewheeling discussion about race.

The Religion and Philosophy forum is the place to have a discussion about religion.

In this forum, we discuss big-picture issues in the US. We don't dig into the details of race and religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:27 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,203,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
So what is your view of the new America? Predominantly white and segregated?
Do you have something against white people, or the white nation that was America, by and large? You're bringing the racial issues into this thread. You were the first to say "protestant and white". It's as if you have something with white people, so if you see white people in a video, you attack, attack, attack. What do you dislike white people? Here you are again attacking white people, by trying to insinuate white people and segregation in the same sentence, when I never made any mention of segregation.

Quote:
As to your second point, why are you allowed to force religion on people who choose not to be religious? Isn't that a personal right for them? We don't live in Saudi Arabia.
No one brought up anything about Saudi Arabia. By the way, are you saying that people don't have a right to be prideful that a certain region displays traits that are religious, of their own background? Is a Christian to be demeaned for being happy that an area displays Christian cultural traits and morals? If so, what do you have against Christians? After all, you're basically saying that Christians have no right to be glad an area has a Christian culture or general morals? If they do, they're like someone in Saudi Arabia. Again, do you have something against Christians?

Quote:
Separation of church and state means only the government cannot inhibit nor advance the exercise of religion nor establish a state religion. If a politician wants to speak in religious terms, go ahead.
I disagree with your idea of the "exercise of religion", as from day one, this country has evoked the name of God and has had a time of prayer.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure love of family transcends national boundaries.
No one said that it didn't. All that was said is that the video displayed the "love of family" trait common in what some view as the "true America".

Old 08-06-2011, 01:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,845,611 times
That vid displays part of what is True America. This vid is also True America.

‪Juvenile Ha‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,914,518 times
"Cultural Marxism." That rings a bell. Anders Behring Breivik has a lot to say about that.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,418,369 times
neither of those idiots represents America.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,306,793 times
I don't know if represents "true America" but it sure as hell represents BEST AMERICA.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:37 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,070,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
However, aren't you in California? I know for a fact that California and the image of America, all coming from a California perspective, such as on the Disney Channel and the like, is also not indicative of most of the United States. For example, most of America is not 35% white, 35% mixed race, 20% black, and 10% Asian. In fact, California is really the only place that seems to display such an atmosphere to the extreme.

I'm not saying that most of the U.S. is small town. That said, I'm more or less talking about the mindset found in the video, you know, patriotism, love of God, love of country, love of family, and the things that go along with it.

By the way, most people in 1991 live in metro areas, just as they do today. You have to go back to around the 1950s, or sooner, I think, where the rural-urban balance tipped the 50% line. Saying "twenty years" makes me wonder if you're young.
Well, it's pretty much the way it is in the video where I live...except he forgot duct-tape, it goes along with the WD-40, and the Craftsman Wrench lol

Old 08-06-2011, 01:50 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,506,006 times
It is certainly a component of whatever America is, but it's not the whole story.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:01 PM

611 posts, read 1,588,422 times
True America?
Here-

Old 08-06-2011, 03:05 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,461,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
However, aren't you in California? I know for a fact that California and the image of America, all coming from a California perspective, such as on the Disney Channel and the like, is also not indicative of most of the United States. For example, most of America is not 35% white, 35% mixed race, 20% black, and 10% Asian. In fact, California is really the only place that seems to display such an atmosphere to the extreme.

I'm not saying that most of the U.S. is small town. That said, I'm more or less talking about the mindset found in the video, you know, patriotism, love of God, love of country, love of family, and the things that go along with it.

By the way, most people in 1991 live in metro areas, just as they do today. You have to go back to around the 1950s, or sooner, I think, where the rural-urban balance tipped the 50% line. Saying "twenty years" makes me wonder if you're young.

>>>>>
That said, I'm more or less talking about the mindset found in the video, you know, patriotism, love of God, love of country, love of family, and the things that go along with it.
<<<<<

I think it should be. The old ways are dying; it is a shame. I'm one of the old bucks on here and it chaps me to no end to know our nation is going to shambles because lack of respect for our great country, a lack of regard for its Judeo-Christian principles, and the erosion of tight-knit communities. (What is truly alarming is the lack of knowledge our young people possess pertaining to our national history/heritage as well as their own state history.)

Also, I saw some negative comments about TK. The naysayers can say what they want about Toby Keith and his music but that man has done so much to boost the morale of our troops all over the world. I am proud that Toby Keith is an Oklahoman.

I am a proud Christian. (Southern Baptist....hey, what do you expect, I'm a born and raised Oklahoman!)
I am a proud Family Man. (getting to be an old man now, LOL)
I am a proud American. (with Native American/Anglo roots!)
I am a proud Oklahoman. (hey, we've got the best state song, period!)

If that burns anybody's biscuits I say pour gravy on top and deal! I think our young fellars running around need a HEAVY dose of reality and I think a love for God, Family, Country, State would accomplish just that.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 08-06-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies