U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,516,431 times

Advertisements

People can call themselves whatever they wish, but if they really want ties with other countries or continents, the best thing might be for them to relocate back to those places. Americans shouldn't be so hung up on being non-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 PM

18,921 posts, read 9,184,609 times
I call them black Americans. Who cares, really?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM

7,476 posts, read 4,200,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I call them black Americans. Who cares, really?
Apparently only the OP.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 PM

317 posts, read 268,299 times
I prefer the term Black American. A lot of folks fail to realize that not ALL "African" Americans originated in Africa.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:53 PM

14,695 posts, read 9,845,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Some say that blacks should not be referred to as African Americans because they have no relations with the African Continent while others say the term "black" takes the legacy away from slave ancestors who did not choose to leave Africa.
Waiting for the actual point/purpose of this thread.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM

14,954 posts, read 7,363,280 times
Quote:
Some say that blacks should not be referred to as African Americans because they have no relations with the African Continent while others say the term "black" takes the legacy away from slave ancestors who did not choose to leave Africa.
here are the problems that people are touching on and dancing around;

1: how many black people who call themselves african-american, or any other hyphenated american, have a dual citizenship? i can tell you that very few do.

2: any time we hyphenate ourselves, we separate ourselves from what america truly is/was, and that is the melting pot of the world.

so if we call black people african-american, do we also call hispanic people mexican-americans? do we call asian people chinese/japanese.korean/vietnamese/(insert asian country here)-americans? and what about people like me who have several nationalities mixed together? i have german, norweigian, french, scotch, irsih, indian(aka native american), and hispanic blood lines in my family. what do you call me since nothing truly fits.

in the end people who are citizens of this country are AMERICANS and we need to be proud of that, otherwise we are going to completely tear this country apart.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 PM

49,633 posts, read 41,818,587 times
Quote:
can't you find something important to worry about???

NIta

Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 PM

35,486 posts, read 43,333,736 times
My black friends have told me they prefer to be called "black," not "African American" - wh/ makes sense to me. I am Swiss and Scot . . . I don't wanna be called Swiss/Scot American, lol.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 PM

4,098 posts, read 1,736,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
here are the problems that people are touching on and dancing around;

1: how many black people who call themselves african-american, or any other hyphenated american, have a dual citizenship? i can tell you that very few do.

2: any time we hyphenate ourselves, we separate ourselves from what america truly is/was, and that is the melting pot of the world.

so if we call black people african-american, do we also call hispanic people mexican-americans? do we call asian people chinese/japanese.korean/vietnamese/(insert asian country here)-americans? and what about people like me who have several nationalities mixed together? i have german, norweigian, french, scotch, irsih, indian(aka native american), and hispanic blood lines in my family. what do you call me since nothing truly fits.

in the end people who are citizens of this country are AMERICANS and we need to be proud of that, otherwise we are going to completely tear this country apart.

I agree with the above, especially the bolded area. But did want to add that anyone considered a "minority" is always dubbed as such with their nationality. Those with chinese/japanese/korean/vietnamese are typically called Asian Americans. Those with ties to Latin and Central America a typically called Hispanic Americans. The only group who does not have this association really are white Americans and that is not to say that many do not consider themselves Irish Americans or Italian Americans because some do.

I do not call myself African American because I am not African. Both sides of my family have been in this country since the 1700s so I consider myself and my lineage more American than the average white American since the majority of white Americans are 3rd or 4rth generation Americans when I am around 8th generation American. Also, most black people have mixed ancestry as well. I have both native and European ancestry as well as African.

That said, people can call themselves whatever they want. I have no problem with black people calling themselves AAs. My husband does and it doesn't bother me. It doesn't really matter since we are all American anyway.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:59 PM

35,486 posts, read 43,333,736 times
Just wanted to ask OP:

Why is it important to distinguish which of us were slaves? Should we be identifying which of us descends from someone who owned slaves? Should we identify which Americans came here after 1900?

My family, both sides, came here prior to 1750. Should I be able to identify myself somehow (other than DAR membership, lol) as an "original American" since my ancestors fought (and some died) in the Revolutionary War?

Why isn't it enough that we are all simply - Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies