Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:09 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times

Advertisements

I prefer black because African-American is too politically correct. We don't call whites European-Americans.I never even heard the AA term before 1989. Most of the blacks I know use black more than AA..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I prefer black because African-American is too politically correct. We don't call whites European-Americans.I never even heard the AA term before 1989. Most of the blacks I know use black more than AA..
What whites prefer to be called has no bearing on what blacks should use. They can make the decision for themselves on what term to use.

And we use "black" more often because it's shorter and more practical in everyday conversation. But i'm still an African American when it comes right down to it.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What whites prefer to be called has no bearing on what blacks should use. They can make the decision for themselves on what term to use.

And we use "black" more often because it's shorter and more practical in everyday conversation. But i'm still an African American when it comes right down to it.
I know of older blacks who call themselves negros. It's the term they are used to from when they were growing up. Are you OK with that?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
I know of older blacks who call themselves negros. It's the term they are used to from when they were growing up. Are you OK with that?
LMAO...dude, i've been on this earth for 45 years and i'm as black as it gets (not meaning complexion, but in mentality) and with the exception of my wife and some other friends, my whole circle is black as a tire.

I've yet to meet ANY BLACK person who refers to his/herself as a Negro regardless of age. We toss around Negro when we're joking around, but if we're speaking in all seriousness, it's never used. I don't know what old black folks you're hanging around, but maybe they don't get out much.

"Negro" played out about 45 years ago. And it'll never come back.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...dude, i've been on this earth for 45 years and i'm as black as it gets (not meaning complexion, but in mentality) and with the exception of my wife and some other friends, my whole circle is black as a tire.

I've yet to meet ANY BLACK person who refers to his/herself as a Negro regardless of age. We toss around Negro when we're joking around, but if we're speaking in all seriousness, it's never used. I don't know what old black folks you're hanging around, but maybe they don't get out much.

"Negro" played out about 45 years ago. And it'll never come back.
I conducted poltical surveys and when we asked about race some older (75+) blacks did in fact call themselves negros. Believe me I was surprised.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Some say that blacks should not be referred to as African Americans because they have no relations with the African Continent while others say the term "black" takes the legacy away from slave ancestors who did not choose to leave Africa.
It certainly does take that legacy away and it gives things to everyone who has darker skin what was meant for the descendants of American slaves. " I am a descendant of American slaves" means something specific, just like a Black person who makes a point of their 'Jamaican descent'. There needs to be a description that applies to "Blacks" that have no other homeland they can point to but America.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I conducted poltical surveys and when we asked about race some older (75+) blacks did in fact call themselves negros. Believe me I was surprised.
I'm not at all surprised-
When I was younger my father always tried to get me to call myself a Negro for the reason that it was a specific group of people descended from American slaves. He resented Black people from other countries coming to America and getting help and programs that were meant to make up for the slave past of the American Negro. Not for any person of color from anywhere in the world, who had never been enslaved in the US. He was right but it was the 70' and I was a teenager and didn't realize what he meant and why it mattered.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
And we didn't use "Black" until right around James Brown's, "Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm proud" record.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I didn't understand the OP's slavery inquiry either. Not to pick on the OP, but I just didn't understand why that was relevant.
because descendants of American slaves don;'t have any other country to go back to- this is it. Because their family has typically been in America for hundreds of years and because they have an investment in America that is second to none.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
But they have African blood and to most of us as Black Americans/African-Americans, that's what it is about. We are giving a link to our background and ethnicity. That's really all that it is. Some use the term to show a connection to African (and that's fine too). However, there is also those who just use it to describe who they are as a ethnicity.

Also, you guys, don't forget that there IS an African-American culture. There are many things that are common to African-Americans that were developed during or retained from the days of being a person in the land of the United States who descended from Africans beginning in the 1600s.

So ... there's nothing wrong with identifying with those who were instrumental in your culture. If you read about Africans in the United States back in those days you will see that Black Americans DO have a culture and it goes back to Africa.

Just like an Italian or a German. Yet, for some reason, people always try to treat us Black Americans as if we can't have a heritage and have a label for that.
We also have a culture from being slaves in America. Jazz and Blues are music that is specifically from the culture of descendants of American Slaves. Chalking it up to African-American or Black is not accurate. All "Blacks don't have the same culture- not by a long shot" and descendants of American slaves are a unique culture born of unique circumstances. Haitians are proud of Haitian culture, Eithiopians are proud of Eithiopian culture. Americans of slave ancestry need to know their culture and be proud of it as a thing separate and apart from "matching skin tones" and African ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies