Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,460,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
They can call themselves American. Why do they have to say Asian American or anything anyway when anyone can look at some one and see that they have Asian genes. No need to state the obvious. If they were born in America then they are American. Period.
But what is the issue if they want to make the distinction? Why is it of anyone else's concern how they chose to refer to themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,151,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt
Neither are accurate, many black people came to the U.S. as both free people and slave owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
That doesn't even logically follow.
How do you figure it's not logical, the title to the thread is, "Black or African American? Which is More Accurate in Identifying Slave Descendants?"

The problem is, HOW do you know who you are addressing. What if the person is one of those who's ancestors came to America is a Freeperson and a slaveower?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,269,911 times
There's probably a difference between black Alabamians and African Bostonians.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,806,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Some say that blacks should not be referred to as African Americans because they have no relations with the African Continent while others say the term "black" takes the legacy away from slave ancestors who did not choose to leave Africa.

some say? who are these some says...why is it that other people always so hell bent on what we should call ourselves?

in cuba theres a black population they are sometimes called afro cubans, same freaking difference its just shorter version of african...

blacks of latin american culture= afro-latin american or in america afro-latino
the closest we have to the continent are the sub group of african americns called gullahs in the US south sea islands. secondly we were brought over from there and yes we're removed from practices of tradition but to idiots after the slave trade and then colonialism of africa things arent the same all those countries were not there, some languages gone Mali empire, ghana empire, songhay empire and many NW AND WEST africans were muslims.

black is a term that has been bastardized in the US. Because if your black from another country in the US you arent black esp if you speak spanish. black is a racial term

african american is and should be ethnic to describe black americans, other black groups who emigrate out their country and come to the US are not americans period maybe by citizenship yes but cultural or ethnically they belong to another group of people despite being racially connected thats all.

Nationality:American/USA
Race:black
ethnic group: Afro american/ african american.

i cant stand when people use the term black for race and ethnicity pick one or the other

Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,806,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt
Neither are accurate, many black people came to the U.S. as both free people and slave owners.

How do you figure it's not logical, the title to the thread is, "Black or African American? Which is More Accurate in Identifying Slave Descendants?"

The problem is, HOW do you know who you are addressing. What if the person is one of those who's ancestors came to America is a Freeperson and a slaveower?

proof?, blacks could not even hold property! First blacks come over as servants. slave decendants exist all through the Americas so should i ask does the term african american describe the WHOLE AMERICAS of africa descendants, it sounds right like native americans from canada to south america as many describe them as native amereicans

african american describes americans who are black PERIOD, Continental africans are identified by country of orgin and ethnicity of their homeland!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,292,820 times
Why would anyone have a problem with a black person referring to themselves as African-American? I'm just not understanding that. Does that make people feel uneasy or something? LOL Do these same people have a problem with Japanese-Americans calling themselves that? Or Italian-Americans? There has never been such a debate about those labels. To further question: would it be even better if we said "Ghanian-American" or something like that?

I really think some people are just uneasy and uncomfortable that black people use that term. Either they are the "We are all one America" people or they feel uncomfortable thinking about how Blacks have descended from Africa. I mean, the people back then didn't even want black people to have anything to do with Africa (gave them new names, new beliefs, new clothes), so now people are trying to tell us that we shouldn't feel ties to Africa. LOL What the heck? When I look in the mirror, I'm Black and I like it. If I want to say that I am African-American (meaning that I am an American of African descent and strong African blood in me, haha), I damn well will.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,292,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I don't have a problem. I could care less. Call yourself what you want to.

I'd just like to know where Caucasia is, b/c I don't see boxes to check on forms for Italian-American, Hungarian-American, Swiss-American, German American, French-American...etc.?
What? LOL It depends on what form. I've seen that before. So, you're saying there should be a Caucasia-American? LOL I'm not understanding.

I also don't think we are a creature that likes too many options. So, even if we did want to satisfy every possible combination of hyphenated-American then I think eventually we all would decide to consolidate it all after realizing that the possibilities are too much. That's just how we are, I think. We would sacrifice our identity to keep from branching off too much. Just a viewpoint. I think our habit as a people is to do more grouping once things get too complex.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,034,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh it's coming back. That's just the Spanish word for black and there's an awful lot of Spanish spoken in places now. That's how they call you all. I hear "negro" all the time, never "americano-africano". Los negros.
That's a meaningful distinction.

If you call me a "negro," your ass had better be speaking Spanish at the time. Let's put it that way.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,034,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
I agree, I say Black Americans is a better fit because blacks who have been here since slavery times have no connection to Africa what so ever and most have never even been there. African American should refer to people born in Africa who immegrate to America.
Well that does it....you get to make up what we call ourselves and damn what we say. You win.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,545,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Italian-Americans, etc., IMO, hyphenate b/c of their culture. There are VERY few black people in America who know anything about African culture.
And you know this how?

Quote:
If they are directly descended from Africa, eat African food, talk to each other in whatever language, they are African-American. Just b/c you're black doesn't mean you should call yourself African-American.

Actually, those who are directly descended from "Africa" know from where they descend. They are Nigerian Americans, Senegalese Americans, Eritrean Americans, etc. African Americans are from a distinct AMERICAN heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies