Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,563,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
I agree, I say Black Americans is a better fit because blacks who have been here since slavery times have no connection to Africa what so ever and most have never even been there. African American should refer to people born in Africa who immegrate to America.
There are lots of Chinese Americans who have never been to China. There are lots of Irish Americans who have never been to Ireland. There are Mexican Americans who grew up 10 miles from Mexico who have never been there. Yet people freak out when African Americans identify with their land of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The only people that call themselves Asian Americans are the recent immigrants. The rest just call themselves Americans.
nah. Ever been to Hawaii?

There are people who are fourth-generation descendants of immigrants who call themselves Okinawan, Japanese, Chinese and/or Filipino. That notion of Asian Americans just calling themselves just Americans is nothing but fantasy.

It's that way off the Islands as well.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,472,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
nah. Ever been to Hawaii?

There are people who are fourth-generation descendants of immigrants who call themselves Okinawan, Japanese, Chinese and/or Filipino. That notion of Asian Americans just calling themselves just Americans is nothing but fantasy.

It's that way off the Islands as well.
Very true. This tends to be the mentality of those who project (or impose) the "model minority" status upon Asian Americans.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,063,814 times
Quote:
And you know this how?
She probably met a real live black person for the first time a few weeks ago, which makes her an expert now.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
She probably met a real live black person for the first time a few weeks ago, which makes her an expert now.
Nah. I think she's been watching "Good Times" and "Sanford and Son" on TV Land.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Nah. I think she's been watching "Good Times" and "Sanford and Son" on TV Land.
LMAO!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,829,777 times
Is there a reason we should need hyphenated identities? Why isn't being "American citizens" enough?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is there a reason we should need hyphenated identities? Why isn't being "American citizens" enough?
No need. Just tell everyone else to give up their hyphens first, then I'll give up mine. Our whole history has been erased, and I'm not giving up anything else. You first.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But what is the issue if they want to make the distinction? Why is it of anyone else's concern how they chose to refer to themselves?
I agree, Cali. The only reason I was ever concerned is b/c I didn't want to offend anyone and wanted to refer to them as they wished.

I think what folks may be missing is - the "cultural" aspects of how we refer to ourselves. This includes familial and social culture, as well as (in some cases) religious preferences and religious days and celebrations.

I don't think it is any different than Jews wanting to be identified as Jews - it is a way of connecting with others w/ a similar background and heritage.

PS> I am an American but like to identify myself as a Southerner. I don't see how that is any different, really . . . and surely nothing wrong w/ wanting to identify where we grew up, or what our social and/or cultural heritage might be.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's a meaningful distinction.

If you call me a "negro," your ass had better be speaking Spanish at the time. Let's put it that way.
Hee Hee Hee.

You gave me my giggle of the day - Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies